Question If you could change...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabitatSkater

Metal For Life.
I'd be happy to make some new themes or program some new elements into the forums, I'm not one for coming up with original ideas, but I can sure as hell tweak existing ones to the point where they aren't recognizable :p

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
I'd be happy to make some new themes or program some new elements into the forums, I'm not one for coming up with original ideas, but I can sure as hell tweak existing ones to the point where they aren't recognizable :p

That sounds quite helpful. I'll keep that in mind.

Are you good in Photoshop at all?

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
Twenty-thirty something crowd?

:(

Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm 'ignant'!

Hey, I did not say that.

Well, we only display the shoutbox on the landing page (home) and forum index. These are tweaked to use caching, and write the shouts to a file on the server that is easily and quickly read. There have been performance enhancements since it was first running here, but just the act of running plugins and extra code can theoretically slow things down. I wouldn't worry much about it unless we multiplied our traffic by x50 (we have a dedicated server that should handle it). I just like to run things as clean as possible, makes upgrade easier.

As for the Kindle, you mean Kindle Fire? You'd need to be much more verbose about what you are experiencing on that device? Is it not displaying the site as it should? Or is some specific functionality not working right or missing for you? I do know that all mobile experiences will improve once we release our responsive design which is under construction. We're re-working the site visually a bit, and you won't need to use Tapatalk or anything else to have the site fit a small device.

Re: plugins, extra code, sure, I imagined there were things that wouldn't occur to me, I also would've assumed, yes, you'd been implementing whatever enhancements were at your disposal from day one.:) You guys seem to be very proactive.lol

Clean is good, minimalist is good, how do we bump traffic by 50%?haha

Yes, my Kindle Fire, *sigh*. I'll have to make note of whatever was going on when I try it again, sorry, but, yeah, shit was missing and it wouldn't type right again, might as well have locked up, it was so annoying.:( I tried things I'd previously tried and had luck with but to no avail this last time around./gave up

I'll jot down a few notes about it when I get to it. I guess I hoped someone else had mentioned anything about the trouble before me.:)

Last edited:

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
This is relatively stupid/hardly dramatic but I would have even forum games register in recent activity, if someone posted there, it is, after all, recent activity and a few of us like those things. The activity gets missed, only ensuring they don't see further activity but that's just me.

steelasp

poontangwrecker
This is relatively stupid/hardly dramatic but I would have even forum games register in recent activity, if someone posted there, it is, after all, recent activity and a few of us like those things. The activity gets missed, only ensuring they don't see further activity but that's just me.
This. I completely forget about the forum games like all the time. I don't know if this is feasible, but maybe it could be an option, so people who don't want to be notified of new posts in that section all the time could turn it off?

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I *think* you can watch the entire forum and have the messages update to your Alerts window, but they won't show up on the 'new posts'/recent activity page.

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
I *think* you can watch the entire forum and have the messages update to your Alerts window, but they won't show up on the 'new posts'/recent activity page.

Strictly just an opinion (and maybe you're trying to save Jason work?) but it would seem to me it would only behoove the forum overall that most any activity surface in the recent, especially anything possibly of interest to the average member, unless doing so entails some pain-in-the-ass restructuring of some kind?

As for alerts, unless my settings are the issue, forum games don't seem paramount there ever. But then my alerts frequently miss a lot of activity, even including material I have them set for, though I give them a cursory glimpse every login.

*Plus, from here it's often appeared the size of my text occasionally increases indiscriminately at no prompting of my own.:p

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I *think* that forums that don't count towards your post total don't appear in the new posts section. I would assume the thought process is that if you want to play a forum game, you enter the game forum. Simply put, J would rather fill up his server with almost content (as actual content on wtf is debatable at the best of times) instead of simple one word posing flurries.

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
I *think* that forums that don't count towards your post total don't appear in the new posts section. I would assume the thought process is that if you want to play a forum game, you enter the game forum. Simply put, J would rather fill up his server with almost content (as actual content on wtf is debatable at the best of times) instead of simple one word posing flurries.

I appreciate your thoughts because from my end it seems odd. Sure, I give you a little room on one-word flurries, haha, but, uh, not all the games are that way, and more can be added that rate better.--And you could also assume if you wanted to play in, well, News and Debate or anywhere else you could also 'enter that forum', so if you'll pardon the mere curiosity...

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
While I can consider reversing this decision, this was done at the request of a LOT of members as they didn't want word games constantly filling up the new stuff. When it is overly busy in there, it will dominate the new posts page and anyone looking to actually READ something has to scroll down to find anything... Word games are simply not important here. I'd imagine if someone is bored with the regular threads, you can return to the index and look around...

If there is mass revolt, we can switch back with ease. Perhaps start a poll. ;)

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
While I can consider reversing this decision, this was done at the request of a LOT of members as they didn't want word games constantly filling up the new stuff. When it is overly busy in there, it will dominate the new posts page and anyone looking to actually READ something has to scroll down to find anything... Word games are simply not important here. I'd imagine if someone is bored with the regular threads, you can return to the index and look around...

I'm not sure why Wosh had such trouble with imparting that;) but thank you, that makes sense for those of us not steeped in general forum culture.:D. (I'm telling you, I'm gonna make that Wosh shit stick, it's gonna happen.)

No, suddenly, I see a bunch of whiners on the horizon, all pointing fingers at me when that happens again, guess I'll pick my battles and save the revolt for something juicier.

~I can't believe you came in on this pressing issue, hahAaa, but you're such a nice guy. What would you have been doing if I didn't have a forum game hissy?

CrazyToaster

SLoTS
Premium
No, suddenly, I see a bunch of whiners on the horizon, all pointing fingers at me when that happens again, guess I'll pick my battles and save the revolt for something juicier.
Quite possibly the smartest thing anyone has ever posted in relation to something they want that many others do not want. I applaud you.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Quite possibly the smartest thing anyone has ever posted in relation to something they want that many others do not want. I applaud you.

Not even close. Duddles and/or NymphChick has that beat by a mile, when they posted Tits to get their way.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.

Wait, weren't you guys considering adding tracked topics at some point? You can make everyone happy.

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
Let me first say that it's a no brainer that I've under utilized this site, and haven't fully appreciated some of the work that has gone into it as a result. But something I can appreciate even as not a techno nerd like all you fucks... Is that I was listening to a post, editing a post and replying to a post all without a page refresh. Wow... That's not regular. I appreciate that... That's some programming beyond my understanding, but also... I can see that it's very unique and well done.

Now, let me tell you what you forgot to add. An option to edit your own post and include a quoted post with the add quote option after the fact. And I'm like 87.395% sure no option such as this exists, and so... WTF? But in the case that I'm mistaken (.000264% probability) I blame 93% of the fault on it being a lack of intuitive use of funtion and totally NOT user error. You're welcome.

CoprophagousCop

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium
Now, let me tell you what you forgot to add. An option to edit your own post and include a quoted post with the add quote option after the fact. And I'm like 87.395% sure no option such as this exists, and so... WTF? But in the case that I'm mistaken (.000264% probability) I blame 93% of the fault on it being a lack of intuitive use of funtion and totally NOT user error. You're welcome.

42.7% of statistics are made up on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.