WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Ignorance About Heavy Metal Music and It's Listeners - Sick of Stereotyping

Descent

Hella Constipated
I tell you, the next time somebody says "Heavy metal is nothing but screaming," or worse, "You're a killer!" I'm going to report these guys to the ASPCA or something.

Why is it that in America, stereotypes rule all? We all aren't bikers, assholes, or mentally insane. In fact, the people I know who listen to metal are consistently smarter than the people I know who listen to other kinds of music.

Why? It revolves around being able to appreciate a next to impossible to like form of art - and not many people can do it. You have to be smart enough to see past the screaming, the heavy guitar riffs, and view the song as a whole. Only the smartest of people I have seen can do that. You can't view it as noise - it's impossible to do if you enjoy music.

The thing that really gets to me is the "Media Effects" garbage that creeps up every so often. It's like the media are a bunch of AOLers yelling out "LOL COLUMBINE!!11one!" every few years or so. Worse, Clinton joined in on it. I lost all respect for him after I heard that.

Face it. Heavy metal stereotypes are bullshit. If you believe the media, I feel sorry for you.

Tell me what your idea of metal is first.

Second, even if it's not what I like thank you thank you thank you. I remember a while ago in my English class, we were bringing in lyrics to review and then play the song for the class. I chose to do a Burnt By The Sun song and obviously, they have a screamer. So instead of the class talking about the lyrics, they were all like "I hate this kind of music because I can't even understand what they're saying." BUT WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE LYRICS!?!?

Lyrics are overrated anyway because most bands aren't saying anything really great. A lot of times I find the screaming redeems a band because if they were singing it, I'd find they were writing crappy lyrics and be put off by it. Also, I like the sheer energy and force behind it...it's like something saying "EAT A FISTFUL OF MY FUCKING ANGER YOU NO GOOD DICK ASS!!" It's a great way to vent, and it makes me feel good.

wow that's so true. none of us metal heads dress with leathers and boots, instead, we wear NORMAL clothes. And all the metalheads I know are in all preAP/GT classes. How bout that?

Not necessarily. There are some people that listen to heavy music that like to play dress up. Looking at me though, you'd never guess that I listen to all my hardcore and grind shit. I don't really look like anything. I'm not in the smart classes though...I don't like school. I'd be lucky to graduate...

But that still doesn't make me dumb.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
or worse, "You're a killer!"
I thought that had to do with the Norwegian black metal guys, who were actually killing each other?
In fact, the people I know who listen to metal are consistently smarter than the people I know who listen to other kinds of music.

Why? It revolves around being able to appreciate a next to impossible to like form of art - and not many people can do it. You have to be smart enough to see past the screaming, the heavy guitar riffs, and view the song as a whole. Only the smartest of people I have seen can do that. You can't view it as noise - it's impossible to do if you enjoy music.
So you're saying that intelligence effects the type(s) of music an individual likes? That's absurd. Do you have anything to back that up, besides your relatively narrow experiences?

I know plenty of dumb "metal heads," as well as some of average and higher intelligence. Intelligence has no bearing on musical tastes.

Oh, and just for the record, I do listen to some metal.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Why Head Bangers got a bad wrap

First lemme give my definition and examples of Heavy Metal::

Heavy Metal (as define by Woodreaux) is a subset of hard rock using guitar(s), bass guitar, drums and vocals. Synthesizers and wind instruments are prohibitted. (Note some metal bands use syths in a FEW of their songs for added flavor, however it is not a primary component). Guitars are usually heavily distorted and most songs will include a guitar solo: part of the song with intricate lead guitar work in the absence of vocals that last a minimum of 10 seconds. The guitar solo usuals occurs between the second to last and final verses. A real metal song can be performed live as well as in the studio.
Heavy has the following major subsets:
Traditional/Main Stream Heavy Metal:
Most older( recording began before 1980 ) metal bands that have the above listed characteristics. This is the metal where you'll long drawn out opera-vocals and screaming.
eg: Iron Maiden, Man-o-War, WASP, Ozzy-Osborne, Judas Priest, Dio.
Speed Metal: Just like mainstream metal except the rythm guitar runs at same pace as the drums.
eg: Metallica, Slayer, Nuclear Assault
Death Metal: Just like a speed metal except the vocals are replaced by growling. This type metal usually is very low budget and poorly performed. I can't provide any examples because I never liked it. In short, it suxx.

A few genre's were derived from Heavy Metal.
Industrial: Has the hard crunching rythm guitar and base of Heavy Metal, sans the guitar solos. Synthizers, sampling and editting is used.
eg: Nine Inch Nails, Fear Factory, Revolting Cocks.
Grunge: Sprang up in the late 80's, alot like slower version Heavy Metal with these differences:
  • Vocals: Slower, no screaming
  • Guitars: guitar solo's ixnayed, replaced by shorter lead riffs&licks throughout the whole song between choruses.
eg: Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Audio Slave

There are more catagories but I've gotten tired of talking about catagories. On to why head bangers recieve so much bullshit.
  • Heavy Metal is created by cynical people for cynical people. Cynics are distigustipated to begin with. It is the nature of our society to criticise unhappy people.
  • Heavy Metal is very difficult to perform, hence jealously subconsciously causes a form of animousity.
  • Religious groups have vilified Heavy Metal. Ironicly, they're also the best advertiser of new metal acts.
  • It IS difficult to understand. The only way I ever understand the lyrics is reading them. I listen and play it for the music, not the vocals. But some people are VERY hung up on vocals.
  • Some Heavy Metal theatrics were cheezy, in some cases totally ridiculus. Many acts and fans do retarded shit that merit the issults it got. Best example: Glam Rock (MTV Heavy Metal wannabe) bands had the drag queen look going: Poison, Ratt, Dokken. They were inspired by real metal bands with mullets! Mullets! WTF?!?! What's worse? Hooker hair do or a mullet?

It seems I'm not on the same page as anyone else here. What you're calling metal at least has some kind of mainstream acceptance. What I listen to does not.

Technical metal(Dillinger Escape Plan, Into The Moat, Ion Dissonance, etc.), then some other modern crossover bands(Converge, Backstabbers Inc., etc.)...I mean, you can't understand ANYTHING these bands are saying. They tend to have multiple screams(high and low).

Fans of this stuff are very few and far between. As far as I know, there is a very small group of people that are into modern hardcore(or metalcore or whatever) but I think I may be the only one who goes in-depth into tech stuff.

And don't even get me started on crust.

FUCKORBEFUCKED

Pissed off since birth
We all know that "COUNTRY MUSIC" is the root of all evil. :D

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Woodreaux said:
balh, blah, blah
eg: Iron Maiden, Man-o-War, WASP, Ozzy-Osborne, Judas Priest, Dio.

eg: Metallica, Slayer, Nuclear Assault
blah blah blah
eg: Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Audio Slave

blah, blah, blah
but I think its cool that you even know who WASP is.

ps isnt it cool to chop up a quote? LOL

On another note, everyone at my work listens to either popular or country.

pps Mullets were very cool in thier day. Dont dis them.

I catch a lot of flack at work because my cd is always on something like Machinehead or Stone Sour (not slipnot, but I do like some of thier stuff) and Chimera or some of my older faves, like Lynnard and Ozzy and Suicidal Tendancies. They call it "Rita's Death Metal" WTF? I dont even like Death Metal. Its annoying. I like the older shit, but most of the people I work with are either too young or too old. LOL. Fucking kids these days.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
When I say Metallica, the reference is to Kill'm All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, Garage Days and Justice For All. Anything following that is referred to as new Metallica.
Testament had some good jams.
WASP... Anybody cool enough to release an EP called I Fuck Like a Beast MUST be mentioned whenever it is applicable. Contrary to popular belief, a few good things have come from Texas. WASP is an excellent example.
Quote chopping is cool, I do it all of the time.
Mullets were never cool, ever.

In the Chronicals of Riddick: Why was Vaako to lame to kill the Lord Marshall?
'Cause he had a mullet.
Why couldn't Goku or Gotenks kill Majin Buu as Super Saiyan Level 3?
'cause they had mullets.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
I dont know what I hate more....Pretentious highschool music connoisseurs or the EXTREME over analyzation of something that is supposed to be enjoyable. If you can sit there with a straight face and say "The shitty music and indecipherable lyrics are there to filter out the dumb people who wouldnt understand our cynical world view." then I have to assume that you are the pasty equivalent of all these 'thugs' that only listen to rap because it "Talks about life on the streets." Exclusively listening to any type of music is ignorant as hell...and making excuses for shitty music is equally ignorant. I really havent gotten into "metal" mainly because of people like you...I feel if any culture can harbor such unmitigated idiocy...it isnt worth my time. Sometimes music is just meant to be enjoyed and felt. Not studied until it becomes tedious.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Woodreaux said:
When I say Metallica, the reference is to Kill'm All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, Garage Days and Justice For All. Anything following that is referred to as new Metallica.
Testament had some good jams.
WASP... Anybody cool enough to release an EP called I Fuck Like a Beast MUST be mentioned whenever it is applicable. Contrary to popular belief, a few good things have come from Texas. WASP is an excellent example.
Quote chopping is cool, I do it all of the time.
Mullets were never cool, ever.

In the Chronicals of Riddick: Why was Vaako to lame to kill the Lord Marshall?
'Cause he had a mullet.
Why couldn't Goku or Gotenks kill Majin Buu as Super Saiyan Level 3?
'cause they had mullets.

New Metallica Sux. Anything after Metalllica Metallica or Metallica Black or whatever you want to call it was fucking lame ass shit that makes me want to vomit. Fucking traitor pussies.

Vaako couldnt kill Lord Marshall because it wasnt written in the script.
Goke and Gotenks are fags.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
bigck3000, I think you're chugging a pitcher of cool-aid that you don't even know the flavor of. My speil about Metal is not an over-analyzation. It's just observations I have gained from listenning to and playing it for years!! They are obvious patterns that are easily noticed by a musician and scream out to be noticed. If you feel that some music is meant to be just enjoyed and felt, that's cool. But, I'm more active than passive: I like to make it, too. That part takes more than appreciation and consumption, it takes discipline, knowledge and understanding (thus, a bit of study helps out).

Also, the exclusivity bit: WTF is that for? You assume too much. I expended better from you bigck3000.

DG: go back to CareBear-Land or Endor, or whereever those critters live!

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Im listening to Chimaira right now...god his voice just fucking rocks! love the drums on divination.....anyways....dont knock the carebears kitten, you will find that grumpy bear packs a fat whollup.

Fucking Ewoks are from Endor you dipstick. :p

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
I, personally, prefer lighter stuff like aluminum or some form of titanium allow. Granted that´s because I am a bit lazy and not fond of manual labor. This way, I figure that if I really have to lug a big piece of metal around, at least it won´t be heavy. I mean, seriously, why do you people TRY and make your job more difficult than it needs to be? Get with the 21st century!

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Skitch0o0 said:
I, personally, prefer lighter stuff like aluminum or some form of titanium allow. Granted that´s because I am a bit lazy and not fond of manual labor. This way, I figure that if I really have to lug a big piece of metal around, at least it won´t be heavy. I mean, seriously, why do you people TRY and make your job more difficult than it needs to be? Get with the 21st century!
That is just too funny.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
Woodreaux,

I was mainly referring to Descent and IHFCC but....i'm not above criticism...I'm actively making music as well...learing new instruments and appreciating new genres of music...What sort of prompted me to start chugging the koolaid was the idea that only a certain group of people would be able "comprehend" the "deep message" behind metal music. Although you and the others may well know of dozens of bands that are great the rest of us dont....and we are the ones being targeted by these pretentious finger pointers. It just doesnt happen to be my cup of tea but I wouldnt think that metal would be the stand out genre when it comes to unique music writing. But hey...i'm an open minded kind of guy...float me the names of some good metal bands and i'll check them out.

I thought it was grape kool-aid....any other flavor wouldnt have created such a ravenous reaction.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Mea Culpa

Sorry bigck3000. It appears I assumed too much, also. I assumed it the shots were aimed at my post, due the chronilogical order. My bad.
The Kool-Aid flavor Purple-Saurus-Rex, it's purple like grape-yet it tastes nothing like grape, closer to boyzenberry. Like Purple-Saurus-Rex it's an acquired taste that doesn't appeal to everyone. The best HM I can recommend off hand is:
Ozzy-Osbourne : Randy Rhodes Tribute Album --> legendary guitarist tearing shit up.
Iron Maiden : Power Slave --> IMO the apex of Iron Maiden's work. Long, well composed tracks, with intelligent lyrics and killer music.
Metallica : Ride the Lightning --> Totally classic Metallica, their apex of production. The original lineup sans Dave Mustaine, with Mustaine's composition.
Megadeth : Peace Sells, But Who's Buying --> Dave Mustaine's greatest work after leaving Metallica.
Man-O-War : FightingTheWorld --> Damn they whale! These guys play Odin&Thor gospel music, plus ballads for metal purists and Vietnam vets.
S.O.D. : Speak English or Die --> A quintessential must for any HM collection. Members of Anthrax + Nuclear Assualt + MOD's (Bill Milano).

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
TheLampIncident said:
Dillinger Escape Plan
Dude that band is fucked up. Patton is a crazy genius. Do you know Mr.Bungle, one of Patton's other bands (or maybe his "main" band)..They made some really good and totally fucked up songs.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Rage against said:
Dude that band is fucked up. Patton is a crazy genius. Do you know Mr.Bungle, one of Patton's other bands (or maybe his "main" band)..They made some really good and totally fucked up songs.
I am pretty sure Ive listened to them some, I think CL likes them but Im not sure.

Anyone heard of Dog Fashion Disco? CL like them, I think they are the gayest. They are heavy metal kind of, but kind of like just fucking wierd shit. Actually Im not really sure what they are, other than lame. Well, i should not say that, because they are very creative, but I just cant listen to thier style without going What the FUCK is wrong with them? And for me to say that, they must be really fucked up.

What about King Missile? Not heavy metal, but very creative and funny as hell.