WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Illegal Immigrant thread

tzedek

Original Member
LINK

President Bush yesterday moved aggressively to resurrect his plan to relax rules against illegal immigration, a move bound to anger conservatives just days after they helped re-elect him.
why is bush trying to fight for illegal aliens again?

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Who knows. We are supposed to have an open border policy. I know my parents sure the fuck were not native americans, and nether were the conservatives who did vote for him.

tzedek

Original Member
you think it is ok to have an open border policy at this point in time?

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
absolutely not.... I don't mind immagration... but lets czech people out before they come in... and lets not reward illegal behavior with legal status... with this in the works...i'm sure that border jumping is at an all time high...

...why is it that Mexico chastises us for our border policy... yet thier southern border policy is... "fuck no... go home"

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
tzedek said:
you think it is ok to have an open border policy at this point in time?
I think if we allow ourselves to cower in fear of the unknown, and we allow ourselves to close our windows and doors out of fear, then we will only perpetuate the cycle of tyranny and fear that we, as Americans, are supposed to be fighting against. I was taught that fear was a weakness that you should face head on and defy it with everything you have. that might not work as a way to run a country, but I refuse to be afraid of the unknown. I refuse to judge soemone because of their heritage or even thier sexuality. I absolutly refuse to fall into this media induced bullshit of profiling people. I will not teach my children to hate and fear, but instead to accept all others, regardless of race, creed, gender, religion, with open arms and defend thier rights and thier family should the need arise.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
DanGeo23 said:
absolutely not.... I don't mind immagration... but lets czech people out before they come in... and lets not reward illegal behavior with legal status... with this in the works...i'm sure that border jumping is at an all time high...

...why is it that Mexico chastises us for our border policy... yet thier southern border policy is... "fuck no... go home"
Im not saying that we should not check people out, I mean, I would not let a person sleep in my home without knowing who they are and what thier intentions are. That is different I think.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
DanGeo23 said:

I have to agree with you on this one.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Yeah but the question is... WHY does he want to slack it? It's not like the US needs more people... Plus with the whole war on terror and shit you'd think Bush would be more strict with illegal immigrants...

What's in it for him/the US ? I don't see any possible gain from that, and since Bush does everything for gain, there must be a hidden corrupted reason for it

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
Believe it or not, I SUPPORT Bush on this one. Even thought I don't think he came up with this one on his own!

First off, illegal immigrant who would like to gain resident status are subject to background checks here and sometimes in the country of origin. Just to give you an example. If an illegal alien ever got a DUI, (something thousand of AMERICAN get on a daily basis) and he request for residency, he will not EVER get that status and will be deported. Also, must illegal immigrants who will benefit from this are not the illegal who just cross the border yesterday. The INS will not give out any type of residency unless you have been in the country for 3 or more years, sometimes even 5 years. Obviously with a clean criminal record. Even a small felony will mean the deportation of the illegal immigrant.

Second, many of the immigrants who are going to benefit from this are still young kids and teenagers. Being illegal means they can not do anything but finish high school and get to work in contraction or some lower class job. If they were legal, many of this kids would go to college, would join the MILITARY and more. Now, can you penalize a kid/teenager because his/her parents brought them into an unknown country when they were young's? Should they pay the price of a future without education and or any other benefits because their parents took the risk of crossing the border? I believe NOT! Many of this kids don't even remember where they came from, this is all they KNOW. They will never leave even if this means work on the construction field for the rest of their life!

Third, illegal immigrants do not PAY TAXES because they are not allowed to work. Even thought they still work, they do not help in any way this country. If they were legal MOST of them would have no problem paying taxes. Some illegal who have their social security number do pay taxes. This is a FACT!

I live in South Florida, and have many friends who are illegal because of their parents brought them here when they were young's. We talk about the problems this has caused them, not being able to STUDY on a higher level. How they have to settle for lower class jobs because not even Burger King will hire them. They tell me, they will never go back to their home country. This is their country now, even if they are not wanted here. Many of them tell me they would join the MILITARY and fight for this country, but they can't even do that.

Just my two cents... FLAME me away!! ( If you are not an NATIVE AMERICAN... you or your ancestors are in some way or another are also an immigrant!)

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
ChilianFuckFace said:
Believe it or not, I SUPPORT Bush on this one. Even thought I don't think he came up with this one on his own!

First off, illegal immigrant who would like to gain resident status are subject to background checks here and sometimes in the country of origin. Just to give you an example. If an illegal alien ever got a DUI, (something thousand of AMERICAN get on a daily basis) and he request for residency, he will not EVER get that status and will be deported. Also, must illegal immigrants who will benefit from this are not the illegal who just cross the border yesterday. The INS will not give out any type of residency unless you have been in the country for 3 or more years, sometimes even 5 years. Obviously with a clean criminal record. Even a small felony will mean the deportation of the illegal immigrant.
Second, many of the immigrants who are going to benefit from this are still young kids and teenagers. Being illegal means they can not do anything but finish high school and get to work in contraction or some lower class job. If they were legal, many of this kids would go to college, would join the MILITARY and more. Now, can you penalize a kid/teenager because his/her parents brought them into an unknown country when they were young's? Should they pay the price of a future without education and or any other benefits because their parents took the risk of crossing the border? I believe NOT! Many of this kids don't even remember where they came from, this is all they KNOW. They will never leave even if this means work on the construction field for the rest of their life!

Third, illegal immigrants do not PAY TAXES because they are not allowed to work. Even thought they still work, they do not help in any way this country. If they were legal MOST of them would have no problem paying taxes. Some illegal who have their social security number do pay taxes. This is a FACT!

I live in South Florida, and have many friends who are illegal because of their parents brought them here when they were young's. We talk about the problems this has caused them, not being able to STUDY on a higher level. How they have to settle for lower class jobs because not even Burger King will hire them. They tell me, they will never go back to their home country. This is their country now, even if they are not wanted here. Many of them tell me they would join the MILITARY and fight for this country, but they can't even do that.

Just my two cents... FLAME me away!! ( If you are not an NATIVE AMERICAN... you or your ancestors are in some way or another are also an immigrant!)
Ok so an illegal immigrant can legally stay for 3 years? Doesn't sound much illegal to me?

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
Rage against said:
Ok so an illegal immigrant can legally stay for 3 years? Doesn't sound much illegal to me?
No! If an illegal immigrant stays in the country for 3 or more years without causing any problems or getting caught! He or she may be eligible to start the process to gain their permanent residency. The law in regarding immigration has changed much after Sept 11th. But for what Bush is apparently trying to do, he will not just give residency to anyone. You must have been in the country illegally for a certain amount of years. They do this to stop thousand of people from running the border today and getting permanent residency tomorrow!

And, Bush is doing this because, one: many young immigrants will join the military. second: those immigrants will start paying taxes.

Also, one of my friend told me that he heard Bush is doing this with a catch. Anybody who would like to get their papers if the law passes has to serve in the military for at least 2 years. This means more people to send fight his war... and the American people wouldn't care, because they are JUST IMMIGRANTS!

breakology

Kiss my Converse
_Kitana_ said:
Wtf?

God I hope not

LINK
According to army statistics, Hispanics made up 12.8 percent of new recruits so far in 2003, compared to 9.3 percent in 1997. That figure is less than the Hispanic proportion of the total US population, which is about 13.5 percent.

LINK
Hispanics have jumped to 13% of Army recruits today from 10% in 1998.

Army Recruit Plan To Target Dropouts
Army Secretary Louis Caldera said that starting this fall, his service will pay for high school dropouts to earn their GEDs.

The pilot project is to be unveiled in such places as Texas, California and the Northeast, and is a departure for the recruit-starved Army — which until now has focused on signing up high-school graduates not planning to enter college.

It aims to reach out to tens of thousands of dropouts, many of them Hispanic, by funneling qualified candidates into General Educational Development programs paid for by the service.

Recruits will enter the Army once the GED course is completed.

"If we had our fair share of Hispanics, we would not have a recruiting problem," said Caldera, who became the first Latino secretary of the Army a year ago. "We would meet and exceed our shortfall."

tzedek

Original Member
DanGeo23 said:

I never said anything about (legal) immigration... this is about illegal aliens entering the us and Bush wanting to make it easier for them to do that. I dont know, i would just think that Bush would want to make the border laws more strict if anything, with all the terrorist out there. seems like a big security issue more than anything. this isnt going to pass anyway, but i am just blown away that this is one of Bush's priorities.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
tzedek said:
I never said anything about (legal) immigration... this is about illegal aliens entering the us and Bush wanting to make it easier for them to do that. I dont know, i would just think that Bush would want to make the border laws more strict if anything, with all the terrorist out there. seems like a big security issue more than anything. this isnt going to pass anyway, but i am just blown away that this is one of Bush's priorities.
You are missing the POINT! He doesn't want to OPEN the borders for more people to come in. I HOPE NOT! He is trying to legalize the illegals who have been where for quite a few years! Because they are not going to GO ANYWHERE... so make them legal so at least they pay TAXES!

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
CFF said:
If an illegal alien ever got a DUI, (something thousand of AMERICAN get on a daily basis) and he request for residency, he will not EVER get that status and will be deported.
well if he/she gets a DUI that means.. that they broke the law coming here.. and drove a car w/o a licence (broken law)... and drank and drove.. another broken law..

I feel for the kids smuggled here.. and would be more willing to grant them status(after criminal check) ...

CFF said:
yeah.. they don't pay taxes.. yet they receive goods that are paid for by others taxes.. medical care.. welfare... school lunches.. etc...

CFF said:
If you are not an NATIVE AMERICAN... you or your ancestors are in some way or another are also an immigrant!)
well the so called "native americans" also migrated here... they are just more "native" than my family... just as I may be more native then people that immigrated here 10 years ago...

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
DanGeo23 said:
well if he/she gets a DUI that means.. that they broke the law coming here.. and drove a car w/o a licence (broken law)... and drank and drove.. another broken law..
YES, and these people WILL NEVER get their papers. Unless of coarse they get married to an American Citizen! I say deport them!

DanGeo23 said:
I feel for the kids smuggled here.. and would be more willing to grant them status(after criminal check) ...
They are not smuggled into this country. They are brought by their PARENTS who cross an imaginary line.

DanGeo23 said:
yeah.. they don't pay taxes.. yet they receive goods that are paid for by others taxes.. medical care.. welfare... school lunches.. etc...
Legalize them and they will start paying taxes.

I must be honest when I say, I kinda miss the points of your replies.

tzedek

Original Member
ChilianFuckFace said:
You are missing the POINT! He doesn't want to OPEN the borders for more people to come in. I HOPE NOT! He is trying to legalize the illegals who have been where for quite a few years! Because they are not going to GO ANYWHERE... so make them legal so at least they pay TAXES!

you dont think that this would open the gates to more illegals coming across? as it is with nothing guaranteed to them they come over in the millions. If they have rights guaranteed to them then more would be coming over.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
breakology said:
Who else is gonna join the army over the next 5 years?
Ya know what? That's not a bad Idea.

Come to America, Join our Armed forces. Ship off to fight in Iraq for a couple of years.
If you come back alive, and can speak English; you're an automatic citizen.
I'd say it's a fair trade.