WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

I'm beginning to loathe nForce chipsets.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Great hardware, horrible IDE drivers.

It happened again. Once a month, Windows refuses to boot and I have to boot into safe mode and nuke my nForce 4.27 drivers.

My motherboard is a Chaintech 7NIL1 - One of the best mATX Socket A boards around - and one of only 2 with the nForce 2 Ultra 400 chipset. The only other model is from Chaintech.

This board is stable as a bitch, a great overclocker by mATX standards, and never gives me sass.

And I'm not the only one with these IDE driver woes.

The nForce 5.10 drivers cause Server 2003 to BSOD upon boot. BSOD to high hell. Funy thing is they are signed by M$...

So are the 4.27 drivers - which work, but also crash.

I'm hearing a lot of bad things about these IDE drivers. 2000 Pro gave me the same issue, and I've heard of XP users with the same problem.

nVidia needs to get their ass together, because my next system will have a Crossfire ready motherboard...

I've dealt with shitty drivers before, but the nForce IDE's take the cake. All I did this morning was play DoD:Source, shut down my machine and catch the bus.

I come home and my drivers are dead. Fuck this, Via has gotten their act together. I'll use them instead next time. ULi has now surpassed nVidia for AGP and IDE performance, and is more stable. And they even make dual PCI-E/AGP chipsets that rock cocks.

I'm writing nVidia off until they fix the IDE mess - I've been pulling my hair out for too long.

For Socket A, I'll still use nForce but for everything else I'm sticking with ULi from here on out...As soon as more ULi PCI-E boards come out I'm going to switch from the bulletproof Chaintech VNF4/Ultra motherboard to another high quality mobo with a ULi chipset.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
The nForce 5.10 drivers cause Server 2003 to BSOD upon boot. BSOD to high hell. Funy thing is they are signed by M$...
Yeah but what OS are they signed for? You need to check the HCL and see if they're signed for Server 2003 or if it's an XP only deal.

I don't know anything about those boards. I'm running an NForce board with IDE drivers and zero problems. But check and make sure those drivers are signed for 2003

Edit: Oops, that was supposed to be HCL not HAL

Descent

Hella Constipated
They're signed for 2003 - they do not give a prompt.

But as I said 2000/XP users are having the same issues minus the BSOD's.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
They're signed for 2003 - they do not give a prompt.

But as I said 2000/XP users are having the same issues minus the BSOD's.
Well, a quick check shows that those drivers are NOT signed for Server 2003. When you install them, server will pick up the fact that they're signed, but it can't determine if they're signed for it or not.

As far as the rest of the problems go, you got me dude. Most people don't seem to have issues with their NForce2 chipsets. Not saying it's your fault or anything. Just that most folks don't have the problems.

Jung

???
Premium
I've never had a single problem with my Nforce2 chipset or IDE drivers.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
junglizm said:
Ditto.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
junglizm said:
I'd also venture to guess that you aren't running those drivers in an OS they weren't intended for?

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
I'd also venture to guess that you aren't running those drivers in an OS they weren't intended for?
Eh, whatever. I dunno. It pulled the same shit in Windows 2000.

The initial drivers on the Chaintech CD work SUPER! but AGP acceleration never works.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Bleh, guess it's just 2003.

No big deal, just a little annoyance that yanks my chain.

Thinking about it, I think the 2000 Pro crash was due to something else...