WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

IM conversations with mom

I love my mother and all, of course

but I regret the day that I taught her to use AIM. it's gotten to the point where as soon as i see her sign on, i have to go away or else i'll be stuck talking to her for a looong time

she asks like fifty questions in a row, and then complains when i respond too slowly... and she's started to use "hip" online slang like "u" instead of "you", and that drives me straight up the wall.

argh.

Paul

Tenderony
LOL
Sounds familiar. I have a friend who's mom is similar to that.
Two problems I seem to get are the fact that my mom is always reading my and my friend's away message. She CONSTANTLY knows where I am.... which I don't know if i like.
That and the fact that moms don't always seem to understand that when you are idle you ARENT IGNORING THEM. My mom has figured this out finally but I know a few people who still have issues with that one.

Smiss

smissinat0r
gumercules said:
yeah yeah... :rolleyes:

i wish someone had warned me. and i'd feel rotten blocking my mother
I blocked my dad for awhile! lol

Oh wait... did I even UNblock him?? *ponder*

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
You should just flat out reply with "Can't talk. Trashed. Off for a piece..." or you could always do a fake mismessage to her with something even better...

mthrlangl

Clitpickle
Just mark yourself as constantly away. That way, she can't blame you if you never talk. (That's my Trillian habit, actually.)

yeah, i'm frequently away too... but then people don't IM me because they assume i'm not here. which would allow me to get more work done. which is usually what my mother's IMing about.

Smiss

smissinat0r
mthrlangl said:
Just mark yourself as constantly away. That way, she can't blame you if you never talk. (That's my Trillian habit, actually.)
Hahaha! When i was using Trillian, I don't think I ever marked myself as NOT being away. But it kept crashing on me so Chrix just installed AIM. I downloaded some patch and I will try to get it to work right again later. Cause... I HATE THE AIM SOFTWARE!

Premier

Professional Deviate
I dont use AIM (WTF is AIM) or ICQ or any of those annoying IM services.... much more fun to play games online and chat with people using teamspeak.

AIM = aol instant messenger, if you seriously didn't know

i use 'em all, but i don't like the interfaces so i use trillian. and it's seriously my primary mode of communication, and that's true for most everybody on college campuses

mthrlangl

Clitpickle
gumercules said:
i use 'em all, but i don't like the interfaces so i use trillian. and it's seriously my primary mode of communication, and that's true for most everybody on college campuses
Of if only a few of your friends are anywhere near local..

i have friends in my hallway, but i coordinate projects over IM and keep in touch with non-phone-people such as myself over IM... wouldn't work too well with teamspeak, although it might be interesting to try

Smiss

smissinat0r
I talk to my neighbors on aim. We live in an apartment building. We can hear each other laughing (or screaming if a disgusting picture was shared).

Skorch

Destroyer of worlds
I talk to my old buddy from highschool a lot over aim, that's pretty much the only way I can keep in touch with those guys (not exactly the type of people who write letters). And since either he or I've been away or busy most of the time this past week even that hasn't been working so well for us. Don't much use it very regularly for anything else, 'cept maybe when my girlfriend is sitting on the futon directly behind me and we don't want my roommies to hear us. But it'll be another cold day in hell before I ever teach my mom how to reach me by anything more advanced that by carrier pigeon.

BlasterDRP

Ultra-Violent Doomer
I prefer AIM of all of them. My reasons:
-MSN is a memory hog and the interface is kinda... bla. No custom away messages unless you change your nick, and sometimes the away state wears off. The only two things I really appreciate are name changing and the webcam function. The file-sending function is annoying as hell. No window, just more text that blends in with the rest of the text.
-ICQ takes forever to log in and the interface is quite sloppy. It's flexible in some terms, but it's just annoying. It's also a memory hog and the lack of real text formatting is bad. Sometimes you can't send a file with it, either.
-Yahoo isn't as bad as the rest, though I'm still not fond of it. You can do tons of things, but it's bad in its interface also being generally sloppy. The webcam is another of the redeeming factors.