WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

I'm getting a new laptop.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I finally got fed up with my old P2 Thinkpad and I'm gonna try to find a way to get a new machine that can actually play Half-Life 1 at more than 2 fps with Direct3D enabled.

I'm thinking of an Asus Z80K with a 7200/8 notebook drive, 1GB of RAM, and an AMD Athlon 64 3000+. So in essence, this machine is just as fast, if not faster, than my desktop.

Any other suggestions? Because building one of these bad boys could save me a lot of cash.

By the way - all Mobility Radeon 9700 Pros are upgradeable - and they are all standardized for ATi upgrades.

Jung

???
Premium
Don't buy an Asus notebook. Get a ThinkPad or Toshiba Satellite.

Somewhere like http://ibuypower.com might have something that would interest you as well.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
I just inherited my dad's old work laptop. It's a Dell, dude. It's pretty rockin'. I like being able to compute on the move. :thumbsup: But yeah, with that new computer, you'd be running Half-Life 1 at 20000 fps. :D

But I don't know about Asus Notebooks... I didn't even know they made such things. :confused:

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
Asus aren't that great, Toshibas are very good laptops, My family all have them as laptops, and they have a very good support and warranty on them when you buy them.

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
Don't buy an Asus notebook. Get a ThinkPad or Toshiba Satellite.

Somewhere like http://ibuypower.com might have something that would interest you as well.
I'd get one of those, but I can't afford it, and on top of that the Asus will be self-built. That saves me a lot of money, and also I can tinker with it and not void my warranty.

Also, IBM laptops never had good video chips - they did for a bit when the S3 Savage IX was the best thing around but never again. This is gonna be a machine that can actually be a mobile gaming machine. But really I'd like a futureproof laptop for once.

Also, I need a machine with a good video subsystem for game development reasons - how else will I be able to work on my projects with Shannon? I mean, shit, I can't exactly lug my desktop there and back! So essentially, it's also kinda for business use.

I'm going to miss two things about my IBM - first and foremost, the fact that it has the best damn laptop speakers I've heard to date, and the fact that it's screen is as good as many Apple notebooks I've seen. Oh, and also it was much lighter - 4.5 vs. 7.5 pounds, but I don't care that much.

I'm just sick of having a shitty laptop. It's so slow it can't even run Firefox as well as I need it to.

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
building a laptop?

doesnt really save you all that much money building a laptop

so ive been told

never built one because of that sheer fact.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Descent said:
I'd get one of those, but I can't afford it, and on top of that the Asus will be self-built. That saves me a lot of money, and also I can tinker with it and not void my warranty.

Also, IBM laptops never had good video chips - they did for a bit when the S3 Savage IX was the best thing around but never again. This is gonna be a machine that can actually be a mobile gaming machine. But really I'd like a futureproof laptop for once.

Also, I need a machine with a good video subsystem for game development reasons - how else will I be able to work on my projects with Shannon? I mean, shit, I can't exactly lug my desktop there and back! So essentially, it's also kinda for business use.

I'm going to miss two things about my IBM - first and foremost, the fact that it has the best damn laptop speakers I've heard to date, and the fact that it's screen is as good as many Apple notebooks I've seen. Oh, and also it was much lighter - 4.5 vs. 7.5 pounds, but I don't care that much.

I'm just sick of having a shitty laptop. It's so slow it can't even run Firefox as well as I need it to.

Yea, I'm getting a laptop as well for college. I wanted to just get a generic HP or Dell, but now I'm starting to consider getting a decent gaming machine for flights and trips as well. I'm looking into getting a Intel p4 2.6-2.8 ghz with a mobile 9700 with at least 512 pc3200 ram. Some Dell machines actually meet those specs, but it's specifically a video card issue. Also, I'm gonna need at least 80 gigs. That's about the max amount of drive space you get with alot of these package deals through Gateway, Dell, HP, etc.

Descent

Hella Constipated
LiberatioN said:
Yea, I'm getting a laptop as well for college. I wanted to just get a generic HP or Dell, but now I'm starting to consider getting a decent gaming machine for flights and trips as well. I'm looking into getting a Intel p4 2.6-2.8 ghz with a mobile 9700 with at least 512 pc3200 ram. Some Dell machines actually meet those specs, but it's specifically a video card issue. Also, I'm gonna need at least 80 gigs. That's about the max amount of drive space you get with alot of these package deals through Gateway, Dell, HP, etc.
Everything I've heard about Asus machines is top notch - you might want to check them out.

I heard they provide full tech support for built units, also. It sounds pretty feasible because I've called them a few times and was connected in under three minutes every time.