WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

I'm getting hot, and I don't like it.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Anyone have any ideas on what they believe to be the best brand of CPU coolers on the market? I'm looking to upgrade because for some reason, my Processor has been running hotter than it used to when I play FarCry. That pisses me off, and as such, I have decided to get a huge ass chunk of copper/other conductive metal and strap it to my MoBo, but I don't know where I should start to look as far as brand names. And If the cooler doesn't come with a fan, I'd like a fan that moves a huge ass amount of air, I don't care about how loud it is.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Zalman's circular copper sink models are positively lovely.

Even better are ThermalRight's big fucking copper blocks. Supply any fan you want!

The best of the best, right thurr...

I can't afford those, so I'm buying a Cooler Master Aero 7 Lite. Very nice looking and performing cooler, especially considering it's MSRP is $14.99.

Unfortunately, the Aero 7 is K7 only.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
NewEgg has my order for an SP-90, a Tornado fan, and some Arctic Silver. SWEET! It should come in sometime next week. Thanks Jung.

I just finished Far Cry.

I had to cheat. It was getting impossible.

Like Insanely impossible.

Like So impossible that I had to cheat impossible.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
brainwashmonkey said:
Anyone have any ideas on what they believe to be the best brand of CPU coolers on the market? I'm looking to upgrade because for some reason, my Processor has been running hotter than it used to when I play FarCry. That pisses me off, and as such, I have decided to get a huge ass chunk of copper/other conductive metal and strap it to my MoBo, but I don't know where I should start to look as far as brand names. And If the cooler doesn't come with a fan, I'd like a fan that moves a huge ass amount of air, I don't care about how loud it is.
$99 will get you a water cooling kit

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
brainwashmonkey said:
I'm getting hot, and I don't like it.

Dont they sell creams for that? I'm pretty sure you're not going to find them at Circuit City though.

I keep hearing about cooling fan shit....do i have to worry about it I didnt "build" my computer?...I bought a notebook....it gets the desk pretty hot but i dont think it needs extra cooling....am I wrong?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
bigck3000 said:
Dont they sell creams for that? I'm pretty sure you're not going to find them at Circuit City though.

I keep hearing about cooling fan shit....do i have to worry about it I didnt "build" my computer?...I bought a notebook....it gets the desk pretty hot but i dont think it needs extra cooling....am I wrong?
Nah, don't worry about the notebook. They get kinda toasty. Besides, that heatsink Jung posted... yeah that's not gonna fit in your notebook. Not without cutting a hole in the keyboard first.

For the rest with the desktop systems (towers or whatever) if heat is a problem you'll need to use some Thermal Paste. Arctic Silver as mentioned earlier... it's good shit. BUT, you need a VERY small amount. When you buy it, it comes in a syringe that's got enough to do 50 or more procs. And don't buy the "thermal Pads" that say they take all the mess out of thermal paste. They're not very messy, but they don't work very well either.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Tzedek said:
I am a fan of thermaltake personally.
Don't even get me started. My bro's Volcano 12 keeps his CPU at 60 degrees Celsius at minumum fan speed.

To add insult to injury, it's a 2500+ Barton.

My TR2-M1 coolers say "Up to a 3400+" yet they are unable to cool a 2600+ T-bred with AS5.

I downclocked my CPU from 2100MHz to 1600, and now it works.

Yay. I'm going out today to buy a Cooler Master Aero 7 Lite.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
brainwashmonkey said:
Electricity scares me enough without putting water near it on purpose.
I always had this idea that I could setup a fishtank as the resevoir for a cooling system for a PC. Use the tank to cool the PC, use the PC to heat the tank. Never tried it though.

Freakless

One Horn3y Mofo
brainwashmonkey said:
Electricity scares me enough without putting water near it on purpose.
Yeah, what if the hose breaks, or gets carroded...... ZAPP! there goes your computer that you spent 2k on.... or 4k X_x, like me....

So who wants to buy me a Xeon CPU water cooler.... its not that much.... I promise... The water block alone is only $99 for one of them...

tzedek

Original Member
Descent said:
Don't even get me started. My bro's Volcano 12 keeps his CPU at 60 degrees Celsius at minumum fan speed.

To add insult to injury, it's a 2500+ Barton.

My TR2-M1 coolers say "Up to a 3400+" yet they are unable to cool a 2600+ T-bred with AS5.

I downclocked my CPU from 2100MHz to 1600, and now it works.

Yay. I'm going out today to buy a Cooler Master Aero 7 Lite.
who's more credible, you or me? Do the math genius, nobody listens to you.

Jung

???
Premium
MaxPower said:
$99 will get you a water cooling kit
That copper and a regular size fan will keep him much cooler than a cheap water setup.

Water only manages ambient temperatures anyway; you'd need to use peltier to achieve any temps even close to being worth the trouble.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Relax Freakless, me and Tzedek always fuck around.

Tzedek said:
who's more credible, you or me? Do the math genius, nobody listens to you.
My household has used three different Thermaltake coolers, all of which suck.

-TR2-M1
-K7 1U Tiny Fin
-Volcano 12

Their power supplies, on the other hand, are quite good. But under severe load, they're loud.

My bro has a butterfly 480w that kicks, but I like my MGE 500w more because the voltages are more stable.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Descent said:
Relax Freakless, me and Tzedek always fuck around.

My household has used three different Thermaltake coolers, all of which suck.

-TR2-M1
-K7 1U Tiny Fin
-Volcano 12

Their power supplies, on the other hand, are quite good. But under severe load, they're loud.

My bro has a butterfly 480w that kicks, but I like my MGE 500w more because the voltages are more stable.

I'd be willing to bet that my voltages are even more stable than yours. :p