WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines I'm in the middle of hurricane rita

hey guys I'm on my cell phone (treo 650) and were getting eaten by rita.

louisiana has officially been assraped. and I'm in the middle of it. its scary..

we have no power, so no PC, no AC, no TV or phone (cox is down), no lights... I'm literally soaked in sweat. maybe our roof will blow off so the rain will cool us off.

can someone please do a ZIP check on weather.com for 70560, 32303, and 70503? I have no patience on this damn phone. keep us posted please.

Jung

???
Premium
Good luck and stay safe.

Right Now for
New Iberia, LA (70560)
Save this Location

On The Spot Weather

Rain Shower and Windy
79°F
Feels Like
84°F
Updated Sep 23 09:45 p.m. CT

UV Index: 0 Low
Wind: From ESE at 30 mph
gusting to 51 mph
Humidity: 88%
Pressure: 29.42 in.
Dew Point: 76°F
Visibility: 3.0 miles

NEW! 3x Faster Radar & No Ads
Pets Forecast View my Pets Forecast
HURRICANE RITA Information for New Iberia, LA (70560)
More Storm Maps

Latest Advisory: 5pm EDT

# Location: 28.2N, 92.6W
# Moving: NW at 12 mph
# Winds: 125 mph
# Pressure: 27.46 inches
# Next Update: 11pm EDT

Right Now for
Tallahassee, FL (32303)
Save this Location

On The Spot Weather

Mostly Cloudy
77°F
Feels Like
77°F
Updated Sep 23 10:25 p.m. ET

Wind: From ESE at 7 mph
Humidity: 89%
Pressure: 30.03 in.
Dew Point: 73°F
Visibility: 10.0 miles

Right Now for
Lafayette, LA (70503)
Save this Location

On The Spot Weather

Rain and Windy
79°F
Feels Like
83°F
Updated Sep 23 09:25 p.m. CT

Wind: From E at 35 mph
gusting to 49 mph
Humidity: 88%
Pressure: 29.42 in.
Dew Point: 75°F
Visibility: 1.1 miles

NEW! 3x Faster Radar & No Ads
Pets Forecast View my Pets Forecast
HURRICANE RITA Information for Lafayette, LA (70503)
More Storm Maps

Latest Advisory: 5pm EDT

# Location: 28.2N, 92.6W
# Moving: NW at 12 mph
# Winds: 125 mph
# Pressure: 27.46 inches
# Next Update: 11pm EDT

hurricane rita is also here in katy, and we're getting like 60 mph winds. i'm surprised that everything is working right now. good luck to all those who are in this also :thumbsup:

well it's now over.. and holy fuck, we are fucked (well, actually I'm the only one that got fucked)

to begin.. 4 years ago our city signed a 12 year contract with Cleco (central louisiana electric company). our power went out last night at 8:30. cleco takes days (even weeks) to fix electricity.. and on the news, they said that "they'd rather fix new orleans than other places because they have more people there". so the mayor threathened cleco to come fix the electricity or they'd void the contract (and cleco would lose 1.5-2 million customers) so it was fixed today.

THEN, our fuckin cable company (cox communications) lost connections last night before rita even hit. we weren't able to use our generator to power up the modem and router and use the laptop to get online because their lazy asses didn't get a generator to get their satellites going. so i posted on my cell phone, which yesterday, we shut down our EDGE towers to avoid damage, giving me a 15-20kbps GPRS speed.. anyway, they came out and fixed that today.

AND THEN.. during the storm (here's what fucked me up) my balcony door, which is broken, flew open last night and rain pppppooooouuuuuurrrrrreeeeeeddddd into my room and soaked up all the carpet, ruining the treadmill, soaking my bed, and the water went through the floor and wet the ceiling, ruining the electrical system for the downstairs lights. other than that, we made it. and the fucking house is so hot because the AC has to catch up..

friendly warning: get homeowners insurance, and make sure you get flood protection.

Jung

???
Premium
we weren't able to use our generator to power up the modem and router and use the laptop to get online
You should actually be greatful you didn't do that, because you probably would've fucked up the router, modem and laptop. Dirty, fluctuating current = bad for sensitive electronics.

We lost power last night at 2, we just got it back an hour or so ago. Our cable (Charter) was up when we got power back.

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
You should actually be greatful you didn't do that, because you probably would've fucked up the router, modem and laptop. Dirty, fluctuating current = bad for sensitive electronics.

We lost power last night at 2, we just got it back an hour or so ago. Our cable (Charter) was up when we got power back.
Word, same goes for DC current...two years back owners of GeForce4 Ti's, GeForce FX's, Radeon 9500/9600/9700 and 9800 series video cards got it up the ass when their games would cause their computer to lock up.

It was caused by generic PC power supplies, which still sucked ass two years back. I had two PowMax's and they both sucked. Now they put out stable currents but are equally unreliable, even moreso now IMO.

does a generator still fuck up currents even if you have one of those electricity filters for electronics from best buy? and i'd never plug a laptop into a generator (it's got a 6 hour battery, plenty of time to do some surfing).

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
slemaire195 said:
THEN, our fuckin cable company (cox communications) lost connections last night before rita even hit. we weren't able to use our generator to power up the modem and router and use the laptop to get online because their lazy asses didn't get a generator to get their satellites going. so i posted on my cell phone, which yesterday, we shut down our EDGE towers to avoid damage, giving me a 15-20kbps GPRS speed.. anyway, they came out and fixed that today.
actually when Isabelle came and beat up on me, cox had the cable on before dominion power had the electricity up... took em a week to get the power going... so If i had power.. I could of watched tv and surfed the net..

nobody gives a shit about new iberia. we have the slowest ass repair crews on earth. of course now, we only depend on 2 repair companies instead of 3 - cox and cleco (used to be cox, bellsouth, and cleco, but we then switched to cox).

i called cox cust care, and apparently the only reason we lost cable connection is because they didn't send generators to power the satellites, so they went out.

personally, i find it funny that cable and satellite companies are in competition, but cable companies depend on satellites to get their services..

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I'm glad your ok, but I was wondering what gas looks like from there? I have been hearing alot about people needing fuel more than water from a lot of online sorces. As for your carpet, if you have a steam cleaner, you can use it to suck up the water. My first 3 months in the baracks, my room was flooding.