WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

I'm so scared of Calculus

I'm a CS major at my college and right now, I'm struggling with my calc 1 class. I have a test Monday and we're taking the subjects from applications of derivatives to integral substitution. I'm so slow that I couldn't solve 9 problems in 70 minutes, which is how long I have to take that test. I've been lazy all these weeks and now I'm working my ass off and it's really painful. If I don't pass this calc class, it will be far harder to continue with my CS major and I don't have the skills or credits for other STEM majors. I put my eggs in this basket. The other options end with studies or is some humanity or something that would cause me to stay at school longer, and those aren't money makers, anyways. Plus, because of my politics, I do not want to interact with the other students who will definitely sound insufferable to me.

THE STAKES ARE HIGH! And writing this made realize such a thing! Thanks WTF!

Crazizniac

Particinator
My daughter lost a scholarship to calculus last year. No big deal. it's just another point on the credit card. Good luck with the test but - "If at first you don't succeed, try and try again".

Jane Deere

CEO at Janer's Garage
Staff
Psh... I'm still afraid of fractions. I'm impressed that you can do any calculus! Best wishes to you with this test!

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I find your fears rather derivative. Whatever happened to discrete mathematics?

ThisIsBananas

Tough guy!
Premium
If I went back to school, my only fear would be getting lost in the building, and being unable to find my classes on time.

The classwork doesn't scare me, it just sounds boring.

CoprophagousCop

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium
Calculus? Hmmm, I remember taking three semesters of that stuff in college but I cannot say that I have used it much since.

Calculus was half the reason I dropped out of Electrical Engineering and majored in Computer Science instead. It seemed like every Electrical Engineering homework problem required cranking out a page and a half of Calculus to get the answer. (The other half of the reason was constantly analyzing imaginary circuits that do absolutely nothing. That became very boring too.) Apart from having to write a program that took the derivatives of polynomials, I did not have to use Calculus in my Computer Science courses, although I am sure it was required for my degree anyway.

Wait. It's coming back now...
d cos θ = - sin θ
d sin θ = cos θ
d f(g(x)) = (d f(x))(d g(x))
d (f(x)g(x)) = (d f(x))g(x) + (d g(x))f(x)
d ln x = 1 / x
:shrug: