WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Image or mp3?

Jung

???
Premium
Save this image and try playing it in Winamp.

Here's another one.

Jung

???
Premium
Darklight said:
um what was it spose to do... mine did nuttin
They are mp3s hidden inside image files. Actually, they contain both the headers and contents for both, they've just been merged.

I think you have to use Winamp to listen to them though, because it doesn't check file headers before playing something. I tried them in Windows Media and Foobar2000 and they didn't work.

Here is another demonstration of this. Download the image and rename it to .zip, you can then extract it and find a hidden file.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
actually I did use winamp... still nuttin.. all the saved files are too small to have an mp3 in em.. only saving like 5k... or 4k...

Jung

???
Premium
Maybe the newer versions check file headers then. Who knows... I don't even use Winamp.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
well it opens the file like an mp3 but it just dunna play nuttin... oh well... woulda been cool... picmp3...

Jung

???
Premium
Darklight said:
all the saved files are too small to have an mp3 in em.. only saving like 5k... or 4k...
Well, they shouldn't be; the first one is over a MB and the second one is 513KB. IE is probably doing something retarded to them. Maybe it's saving them as BMPs?

http://www.justinb.us/images/index.php?d=steg

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
it is... and like I said they are only a few K in size.. so it must be only saving the info it can read as image... probably because of caching... the direct links works.. cool..

Jung

???
Premium
probably because of caching
Yeah, that happens when your cache is full. IE saves it’s cached images as bitmaps to save on memory cost.

Jung

???
Premium
[sky] said:
That was on G4 like a month ago, my friend.
That's awesome, but steganography is hardly new... And your point was?

I found the first image on another forum and figured I’d post it here, then I made the other two.