WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

In need of power

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I've come to the sad conclusion that my Power Supply needs a good bout of replacing.

So I come to the almighty interweb looking for information.

I would love to get a pcpowerandcooling PSU but those are saddly out of my price range. This is not because I'm a cheap bastard. It's because I'm an unemployed bastard. So, for less than a hundred bucks, tell me who makes a decent power supply?

I don't need models or specs, just your thoughts on who makes crap and who makes good stuff. I can check the specs myself.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Personally, I feel that MGE makes the best PSU's for the money, but they specialize in the modded market. However, they do make their SuperCharger 600w line, which is excellent, affordable, and reliable. They have been around since the early 90's, so they aren't exactly a new crap start-up.

Antec makes great PSU's that are overpriced. Sparkle, Tt, MGE, and Enermax produce comparable units for much less.

ThermalTake has great budget options, but not-so-great high-end options. Their PSU's also suffer from "Banshee Syndrome."

Enermax makes splendid PSU's, among the best out there, but they have one flaw: "Route 66 Cables."

Sparkle Power/Fortron Source (Same company) should be your best bet. They have high output, are priced right, and extraordinarily reliable. If I were you, I would get them.

Oh, and PowMax/Leadman make the world's WORST power supplies. Not only do their rails suck, but they often turn your machine into burnt toast.

I've owned two, and my experiences speak for themselves, as do others. Nothing was damaged, but one died, and another I gave away - it couldn't power my 9600XT.

"Ultra" PSU's are made by PowMax, so watch out.

Actually, anything generic sucks. Just get the brands I mentioned and you'll be fine.

Personally I use a 500w MGE Viper stock PSU that weighs four pounds, has rails like you wouldn't believe, is totally silent, and has a really neat cooling system in it, where the bottom fan blows directly on the MOSFET heatsink. Needless to say, it runs cooler than any PSU I've seen.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Descent said:
Personally, I feel that MGE makes the best PSU's for the money, but they specialize in the modded market. However, they do make their SuperCharger 600w line, which is excellent, affordable, and reliable. They have been around since the early 90's, so they aren't exactly a new crap start-up.

Antec makes great PSU's that are overpriced. Sparkle, Tt, MGE, and Enermax produce comparable units for much less.

ThermalTake has great budget options, but not-so-great high-end options. Their PSU's also suffer from "Banshee Syndrome."

Enermax makes splendid PSU's, among the best out there, but they have one flaw: "Route 66 Cables."

Sparkle Power/Fortron Source (Same company) should be your best bet. They have high output, are priced right, and extraordinarily reliable. If I were you, I would get them.

Oh, and PowMax/Leadman make the world's WORST power supplies. Not only do their rails suck, but they often turn your machine into burnt toast.

I've owned two, and my experiences speak for themselves, as do others. Nothing was damaged, but one died, and another I gave away - it couldn't power my 9600XT.

"Ultra" PSU's are made by PowMax, so watch out.

Actually, anything generic sucks. Just get the brands I mentioned and you'll be fine.

Personally I use a 500w MGE Viper stock PSU that weighs four pounds, has rails like you wouldn't believe, is totally silent, and has a really neat cooling system in it, where the bottom fan blows directly on the MOSFET heatsink. Needless to say, it runs cooler than any PSU I've seen.
I still vote save your money until you can afford a real power supply. :thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
BWM said:
I still vote save your money until you can afford a real power supply.
We can't all afford $350 PSU's :D.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
If you didn't buy 6 fifty dollar power supplies only to find out that they are giant piles of poo, you could.

Descent

Hella Constipated
BWM said:
If you didn't buy 6 fifty dollar power supplies only to find out that they are giant piles of poo, you could.
There are plenty of good $50 PSU's! Sparkle, MGE, Tt, Antec, Enermax, the list goes on and on!

Anyway, I don't need a MILSPEC complaint PSU when my machine becomes a doorstop or a tweak box after two years (Coming this summer: Descent's gaming rig II! This time with an AMD64, an X800XL, and Voodoo 2 SLi for those Glide games!)

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
BrIONwoshMunky said:
Save money up and buy a real power supply. :thumbsup:
Yes yes, but the point is, I need a new PSU relatively soon and being on the government dole doesn't exactly allow me to afford an uber nice PSU. While I'm not a fan of buying substandard components, today I will need to buy a PSU that will work for say 80% of the population.

I'm not a super computer user at home, I don't overclock, I don't run the latest and greatest shit. I need a decent power supply and I can't afford the super duper bestest power supply.

I am currently thinking Antec as a relatively decent source of juice.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
I am currently thinking Antec as a relatively decent source of juice.
Fuck Antec! A comparable unit from Sparkle will cost much less.

Both are equal in quality...So pay less, and get the better deal.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Given your propensity for computer related problems I'm going to have to not take your advice there son.

Actually, having read Jung's links and the complete and uber thorough review of the PSU he's recommending I'm thinking Enermax. Mostly because the reviewer incidentally gave them such a nifty review.

But yes, when I can better afford the equipment I'll buy the Uber supply. I wouldn't even bother with it now except it's awfully hard to find a job these days without a working PC.

Descent

Hella Constipated
JNG said:
I dunno man, I've heard equally great things about both.

I mean, dude, in the end, it doesn't even matter that much. Pretty much all of the brands we discussed here are great, and in the end, what suits you is what works best.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
BrIONwoshMunky said:
PC Power and Cooling has this thing called a website, they happen to sell more than the 510 Deluxe. :thumbsup:

www.pcpowercooling.com

Prices
Yes I see.... Well now that's a new wrinkle to the sack.

Was that a noob move on my part? Why yes, yes I do believe that was.