WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Inauguration Celebration Plans

are the celebrations for this inauguration appropriate?

• yes, its tradition so it doesn't bother me.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • no, it offends me because...

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • i couldn't care less.

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
VOTE: do you think the planned celebrations being thrown for this president's inauguration are appropriate? and tell us why or why not?

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I wouldn't say inappropriate, but it should have been toned down a bit. This is slated to be the most costly in history, at a time when the 40 million could be better spent somewhere else. The second most expensive inauguration incidentally was the last one. Way to go Gorgie baby! Lets show the world just how decadent we can be.

who's in charge of organizing and throwing the party, and determining how much money is spent?

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
gumercules said:
who's in charge of organizing and throwing the party, and determining how much money is spent?
Paris Hilton, and the guys from Queer eye. Why do you ask?

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
didn't more security have alot to do with the price tag...

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Yes, the security costs a lot... He´s gettin´a little paranoid.. 6000 cops and F-16 fighters. Sounds as mentally stable as Stalin... 40 million is alot, considering that they first were supposed to give 15 million to the tsunami victims... then 35.. And when even that didn´t please the crowds, they decided to throw in another 100 million. Bush, Bush jr, and Jeb Bush still say that 15 would have been enough...

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
i don't know if its true but one of the stations interviewed Mrs Bush where she said the money for the parties are privately raised and that no gov't money is used. but it doesn't seem truthful as security must be costing taxpayer dollars, correct?

Jung

???
Premium
Max pretty much summed up my thoughts...

MaxPower said:
I wouldn't say inappropriate, but it should have been toned down a bit. This is slated to be the most costly in history, at a time when the 40 million could be better spent somewhere else. The second most expensive inauguration incidentally was the last one. Way to go Gorgie baby! Lets show the world just how decadent we can be.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
DanGeo23 said:
didn't more security have alot to do with the price tag...
You're absolutely right. As a matter of fact the last estimate I heard was $17 million for security alone.

(re-reading my hastily typed post, I could have elaborated more. sorry.)
My point is, the first time we didn't have such security concerns, and it was still the second most expensive in history.

Anyway, In this climate we're in; I just think it would be in his best interest (and ours) to downplay frivolous spending. Even though the vast percentage of the money for the event (not including security) is coming from private sources.

The fact is Our soldiers still don't have ample supplies, and armor. It may be a nice gesture, even if nothing more than a gesture, for our citizens, and the rest of the world to see him tightening his belt as well.

Just a thought.