WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Infineon Execs Plead Guilty to fixing DRAM Prices

VenomHowell

Cynical Piece of Shit
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I only skimmed the srticle, but by fixing the price I believe they're referring to a collusion, something gasoline and oil companies are constantly attacked for.

Basically, instead of free, healthy competition, which would bring prices to lowr levels for the consumers... Well the companies instead get together, and decided to raise prices together...

Let me think of an example... Say, Shell and Texaco gas stations.

If Shell sold gas for 1.80 a gallon, while Texaco sold gas for 2.00 a gallon, people would go for Shell, right? Of course, because that's part of how capitalism works, competition among companies forcing them to lower prices to attract customers. However, in a collusion, both Shell and Texaco get together and decide to, say, jointly raise the price of gas to 2.50 a gallon, setting a new standard of sorts and eliminating the price competition between the two companies... It's a very illegal practice, and I think this is what the article was pointing towards.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I didn't see any other companies listed except the damned PC manufacturers. That's why I'm confused. It doesn't seem logical that only one company can fix prices by itself. Though Microsoft has managed to do so, but then they aren't normal are they?

VenomHowell

Cynical Piece of Shit
It's in the first 2 lines of the article:

"The sales executives admitted to a scheme to artificially set prices for DRam memory with other co-conspirators, who were not named."

And the reason Microsoft can set prices, is because they are a monopoly... Or at least an Oligopy. They have a LOT of control over the price of products, being that there are only a few suppliers in the market, Microsoft being the biggest one.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I wasn't trying to pose a question about microsoft... sorry bout the confusion.

Apparently I skipped that part of the article.... I shouldn't even try. :thumbsdn:

Thanks.

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
Damn you jstager! You always confuse me with your computer jumbo-mumbo!

VenomHowell

Cynical Piece of Shit
brainwashmonkey said:
I wasn't trying to pose a question about microsoft... sorry bout the confusion.

Apparently I skipped that part of the article.... I shouldn't even try. :thumbsdn:

Thanks.
I knew you weren't asking about Microsoft, I was just bored and thoguht I'd toss that little tidbit of info in. Regardless, you're welcome. :thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
I had no fucking clue there were these many evil people in the PC industry.

VenomHowell

Cynical Piece of Shit
Oh come on now... I'm not surprised by this at all, personally... But then again, that's what makes me a cynic and all.