WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Ingredients

bnccoder

Postaholic
I was sitting here eating a can of potted meat, chewing away because it tasted supprisingly good. After I swollowed what I had in my mouth I realized that potted meat isn't supposto be chewy.......I almost puked, then I checked the ingredients and found out what it was. It was cow stomach, I don't mind eating it, but I at least want fair warning. Don't hide it by calling it Beef Tripe.

Ingredients: Mechanically Seperated Chicken(This suprisingly doesn't bother me any more due to the fast food places useing it.), Beef Tripe (Cow stomach if you don't know.), Salt, Vinegar, Flavorings(This disturbs me also. What happened to seasoning?), Dextrose, Extractives of Paprika(We can't have real paprika?), and Sodium Nitrite.

What are some other strange or discusting ingredients?

they did, thats what tripe is :confuse: tripe =stomach. if your enjoying something then don't ask what it is! and what the hell is potted meat? don't think i'd ever touch it just cause its potted. :(

bnccoder

Postaholic
I just wanted to know why I could chew it.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
potted meat .... *shudder* eewwww ... a lot of guys in the army eat that shit ... blach! I think it is some straight nasty shit. Why are you torturing yerself like that? you in between pay days or someting?

bnccoder

Postaholic
It's left over from when I was. I just didn't want to go to the store. When is the last time you heard someone say "Hey man, my tripe's growling at me. Let's go get something to eat."

/me giggles! maybe its french! fucking french love words like that, fools people into eatting thier cooking! :p the only reason i know what tripe is cause my ex was a hunter, and they ate that stuff! grossed me out, ever see one boiling on a stove? they are huge! and ugly. :(

bnccoder

Postaholic
I want some menudo. Talking about tripe has got me thinking about it.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
buy any of those slim jim "like" products. hot mama i think one is called. i dont know but it is pickled beef. i think it's good (you can find them at wawa and 7-11). anyway i think there is cow tongue and heart in there. i dont remember i just remember i read it once and was like: wah?

bnccoder

Postaholic
Slim Jim Ingedients: Beef Stock Ingredients, Mechanically Separated Chicken, Water, Salt, Corn Syrup, Dextrose, Spice, Paprika, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Proteins, Sodium Nitrite, Lactic Acid, Starter Culture.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Potted meat is gross. They make some cat foods out of better stuff than what's in potted meat. When it gets old and dried up they send it back to the factory and turn it in to vienna sausages. :(

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
I wanna see how chicken gets mechanically seperated. :thumbsup:

Dave666

Pot-Head
If you put some 357 magnum on it, you wouldn't worry about the food being chewy. For those that don't know what 357 magnum is it's the hottest hot sauce sold. It's 600,000 scollville.

"Tripe is the muscular lining of beef stomach (can also be from sheep or pigs, but rarely). It comes in 4 types: the fat part of the first belly (called gras double in France), and three different sections of the honeycomb (the second stomach of the cow)--light, dark, and the partial honeycomb of the 2nd belly's extreme end....How delectable? According to Homer, it was prepared in honor of Achilles, son of Thetis and Peleus, petulant hero of the Trojan war, killer of Hector who ultimately fell at the hand of Paris.

And it is reputed to be the cause of the quarrel in the 11th century between William the Conquerer (in French history, William the Bastard; in English, King of England, Duke of Normandy) and the enormously fat and sensuous Phillip I, King of France. Phillip's jest over tripe supposedly provoked a promise by William "that he would come and be churched at Notre Dame de Paris with 10,000 lances instead of candles."
You guys got me interested in tripe, and the above is part of an article I found on www.soupsong.com. Eh, meat is meat I say, no matter what part of the cow/pig/chicken it comes from. BNC, the reason you were able to chew it is probably because it had been cooked for long enough to make it edible. Normally the stuff takes almost twelve hours to cook, but when the tripe is being readied for sale they precook it to cut down on the time it takes. Whoever made that potted meat must have cooked it the rest of the time needed.

bnccoder

Postaholic
tiger_86 said:
"Tripe is the muscular lining of beef stomach (can also be from sheep or pigs, but rarely). It comes in 4 types: the fat part of the first belly (called gras double in France), and three different sections of the honeycomb (the second stomach of the cow)--light, dark, and the partial honeycomb of the 2nd belly's extreme end....How delectable? According to Homer, it was prepared in honor of Achilles, son of Thetis and Peleus, petulant hero of the Trojan war, killer of Hector who ultimately fell at the hand of Paris.

And it is reputed to be the cause of the quarrel in the 11th century between William the Conquerer (in French history, William the Bastard; in English, King of England, Duke of Normandy) and the enormously fat and sensuous Phillip I, King of France. Phillip's jest over tripe supposedly provoked a promise by William "that he would come and be churched at Notre Dame de Paris with 10,000 lances instead of candles."
You guys got me interested in tripe, and the above is part of an article I found on www.soupsong.com. Eh, meat is meat I say, no matter what part of the cow/pig/chicken it comes from. BNC, the reason you were able to chew it is probably because it had been cooked for long enough to make it edible. Normally the stuff takes almost twelve hours to cook, but when the tripe is being readied for sale they precook it to cut down on the time it takes. Whoever made that potted meat must have cooked it the rest of the time needed.
No, the tripe just hadn't been cut up good.

bnccoder said:
No, the tripe just hadn't been cut up good.
Okay...what? I'm sorry, but that made no sense. You said you were able to chew it right? The only way you would be able to chew it if there was tripe in it is if it was cooked long enough. Tripe not cooked long enough is completely inedible.

bnccoder

Postaholic
tiger_86 said:
Okay...what? I'm sorry, but that made no sense. You said you were able to chew it right? The only way you would be able to chew it if there was tripe in it is if it was cooked long enough. Tripe not cooked long enough is completely inedible.
The tripe was stil chewy instead of a thick paste like it normally is. It was a small slice that didn't get ground up all the way.

bnccoder said:
The tripe was stil chewy instead of a thick paste like it normally is. It was a small slice that didn't get ground up all the way.
Ah, okay. Lovely.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
bnccoder said:
Ohh...it's getting more delicious sounding by the minute. :(