WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Installing the video card..

I have Microsoft windows XP home edition 5.1
Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz
512 RAM
It's an Insignia that has an onboard intell 828945G chipset.
It has 2 PCI port things next to the onboard intel chipset.

Okay, so the guy at bestbuy tells me to get this ATI Radeon9250 256MB DDR, PCI Bus. Sence my comp only has PCI slots.

Okay, so I disable the intel chipset, than I turn off and unplug the comp, take the cover off, put the ATI card in, cover back on, plugged back up, turned it on, put in the software disc and installed it. Do I have to take out the onboard chipset? (if it even comes out) Nothing really happend..And now that I disabled the intel chipset (don't know how to reverse) I have this horrible resolution that kills my eyes. I've been trying forever to make things work and looking everywhere. I'm so lost and hopeless; it hurts all over.
The back of the card has this video out port and a moniter port, but when I plug the moniter into it the moniter is out.

I really, really need help, anything is appreciated.

If its onboard it you wont be able to remove it. Make sure your plugging the monitor into the new card instead of the onboard one.

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
if you disabled it in the bios, the onboard shouldn't even be taking up resources.

what kind of monitor are you using? and is it plugged into the dvi or analog output of the card?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Well, the back of your computer should now have THREE plugs for a monitor.

The one that you were using originally, a blue on on the new video card and a funny looking white colored one. Your monitor SHOULD be plugged into the blue one on the new video card.

With that done, when you log into windows do you have really big, or really small icons? What resolution are you running at? To check that, close all of your open programs and right click on the desktop. Select properties, then select settings. What does your screen resolution say?

Try moving the slider and clicking APPLY. (Don't clik OK until you like what you see.) Also, you should probably go to www.ati.com and download newer RADEON drivers.

This link should take you to the newest driver download.

Thank you so much for the replies.

I do plug the moniter cord into the new video card, but when I do it acts as if the moniter isn't plugged in at all. There is no response. Any suggestions? How far is the card supposed to be inserted into the port thing? it doesn't seem like it's that far in, but I don't really want to force it in anymore..seems kinda snug. It was enough to put the screw back in, anyway. Also when I install the software from the CD how do I tell if it even installed anywhere? There is never like a "finished" thing that pops up..A few things pop up and say stuff is installing it finishes those and then does nothing and i exit.

After i disabled the onboard chipset the graphics and resolution went to hell. It's at 640 x 480 with 4 bit color. I can't get this new card to work at all UGHH..

UberSkippy, thx for the link I am d/ling the newest drivers right now, and i'll let you know if it does anything.

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
Look in the device manager to make sure the VC is being recognized. If it's listed but has a yellow exclamation point it has a problem. If it has a red x then it is disabled. If it's not listed it's not installed right or it's fried. To get to device manager right click my computer, select properties, click the hardware tab and click the device manager button. You'll find the video card under display adapters.

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
The card should sit far enough down into the slot for the top of the backplate to lie against the housing, allowing you to tighten down the screw that holds it in place. If this isn't the case, the cooling fan housing may be hitting the other slots on the mboard.

Other than that, Uber seems to have everything covered.

I d/l-ed the latest drivers, but when I went to install it, "Setup was unable to find componets that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration...." So it's like i never even installed it before...even though i have several times. :(

I check in Deve Manager under Display adapters and there's only the intel chipset.
How could've I wrongfully installed it? How could've I fried it? God if I already ruined it i'll need to kill.

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
The latest drivers might not support your card, let me check.

edit: which service pack(s) are you running? You can check by right-clicking on your "my computer" icon on the desktop and going to "properties"

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Ok, so I think I have an idea of what's wrong.

When we told you to disable the intel chipset we meant in the BIOS, not in windows.

You'll need to go into your BIOS at bootup (BEFORE Windows loads) and disable it there. Then save the settings and exit. Shutdown the PC, plug in the new video card and try THAT.

To get into your BIOS, when the system first starts you should see something like "Press F2 to enter Setup". Usually it's F2 or delete. S and the Esc key are fairly common, but it could be any key there.

Once you've disabled the onboard video in the BIOS and shutdown the PC, make sure the new card is installed. The gold connectors on the bottom should not be visible. Basicaly the card should slide into the slot somewhere in the neighborhood of a quarter of an inch, maybe a bit more.

With all of that done, plug your monitor into the new vieo card and try again. Try the drivers that came with the card first, then the ones you downloaded. (Like Tostig was saying, the newer ones may not support a PCI card.)

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
It looks like they support the 9x00 series of radeon cards, but make sure you install the "with control panel" download instead of the "with CATALYST control center" download. If you're on dialup, just get the "display driver" download.

Not sure which one the link Uber gave you is linked to. Try this one:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=640

This card won't even slide in hardly at all!! Fuck that guy assured me I was buying the right thing..it even says PSI on the box, and my comp manual says the slots are PCI.. The slots are: ....... ............................ The dots are the teeth and the card is ....... ..................... ....... The gold connecters are very visable...Unless i'm doing something very very wrong I might somehow have the wrong card?? The guy said it was PCI and not PCI-E and the box says PCI. My comp book says the slots are PCI.

When i plug the moniter cord into the video card slot port it's the same reaction as just unplugging the moniter.

This is such a horrible nightmare..:(

The service pack is: "Service Pack 2"

I'm going to go try to BIOS disabling of the onboard chip, even tho my card is not going that deep into the ports as described. In fact when i screw in the screw the card is almost slightly askew. I'll let you know what happens with the BIOS.

Tostig I tryed that link but it keeps saying the page cannot be found or my session has expired.

Thanks for all the help so far i really appreciate it!:)

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
Sorry about that, stupid ati using sessions.

go to ati.com -> drivers & software -> windows XP -> windows XP drivers and software -> RADEON -> Catalyst 5.10 Windows XP - Driver Download

then find the files you need on that page.

Okay, so I went to the BOIS > Advanced > Chipsets > And then i disabled the only thing that had an option to disable. I really should've asked what I do exactly, b/c i'm not sure if i did the right thing or not. Either way, I'm still getting the same bummer result. I'm now trying to install the software for the zillionth time. It installs a few things then gets to installing multimedia center and it starts the install wizard then finishes it. Then nothing. It's just nothing, the CD drive is making no noise, and the screen with the install, etc options is still there and if i click install again it's just the same repeat.

Did anyone get the teeth thing. The ...'s are the gold connectors.
The card is:

....... ..................... ....... Roughly, there are 2 spaces.

The Slots in my computer are:

....... ............................ Roughly, there is just one space.

I was looking at some pictures of VC's and the only other kind with the 2 spaces is the AGP type, and i know i certainly didn't buy that! I asked specificly not for it. Unless someone someone put it in this box, But unlikley.

So, do anyone know for sure about VC's? Do AGP types ALL have 2 spaces and PCI are all supposed to have 1 space?

Please I need your knowledge.

Edit: I don't know if this will help, but this is the Card I bought: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?&ref=cj&pfp=cj&product_code=316268

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
You didnt' get an AGP card. It wouldn't fit into a PCI or PCIe slot at all. The PCI slot is too close to the housing.

What was the thing you disabled in your advanced chipset portion of the BIOS?

edit: go back into your BIOS and look under the advanced section for "Video Configuration"
Make sure it's set to PCI, most times it's set to AGP by default if there's an AGP slot on the board.

I did change the vid config. to PCI.

I will go back into the BOIS and write down what I did and what's there.

I will edit this post with that news.

Edit:
I went into the Vid. Config. And it went like this:

APG Aperture Size (the selections were [64-256mb] it's set on 64) (Why does it have anything about AGP? I'm so confused)

Frame Buffer Size, 512Kb-8mb It's set on 8mb

Primary Video Adapter, The choices are Integrated or PCI, it's set on PCI

After that the other thing I did was goto "Chipset Config" It went like this:

ISA Enable Bit, Enable/Disable (this is the one I disabled, just b/c it was the only one)

PCI Latency Timer, 32-248(no units given) It's set on 32

Extended confid, Default/User Default, it's on Default.

Below that were some Lables and #'s, nothing that I could change or select.

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
Are you sure you don't have an AGP slot? AGP slot is brown and PCI slots are white. I find it hard to believe a newer computer (less than 5 years old) would not have an AGP slot. My old Gateway 600 which I bought in 2000 has AGP.

They're both white, and the only option in the BIOS was for either Inegrated or the PCI.

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
Sorry to hear that. PCI really doesn't have the bandwidth for 3D games. Hope you figure it out though.

wilko125

Rep My Post
what PCI slot is it installed into, as the first PCI slot is often connected with the AGP Bridge, try installing the card into the PCI slot that is closest to the PSU (Power Supply Unit), i think from memory that ISA thingy is for Palette snooping (this is used if you have more than one GRFX card)