WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

intArnet failure

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
My internet seems to fail, but only for a second. I cannot quite put my finger on it. But I will click a link, it will think for a second and tell me "<website> can not be found, check the name and try again". I know my internet is up and running because I am chatting away on AIM. It, at first didn't bother me; but it's becoming more and more frequent, and more and more pestering. Anyone know what's up?

bnccoder

Postaholic
try pinging a ip about 50 times and see how many fail 208.203.140.1 is a good one to try.

Jung

???
Premium
Could be a lot of things; your ISP, a chattering NIC, a bad router config/bad router memory, etc. Pinging won't really tell you much aside from if you're dropping packets or not, which it's pretty much already a given, but it couldn't hurt. ( I believe the the constant ping switch is -t in windows.)

You could try updating your routers firmware to the latest version, updating NIC drivers, try a new NIC.

bnccoder

Postaholic
If he has dsl if he is missing packets most of the time it is problems with the lines. call your isp and tell them and they will clear it up. Also try power cycling the router.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
All fixed. Windows update was skipping my NIC's drivers. Thanks automatic updates. :thumbsdn: