WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Internet Connectivity

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
I have a friend who is unable to connect to the internet at his home. He gave me his computer to look for spyware/viruses and to check his settings. I didn't find anything serious spyware-wise, and his computer connected immediately when I hooked it up to my cable modem. I gave it back and he had the same problem (he has SBC DSL by the way.) He had a modem go bad on him before and he got a new one. Thinking the second one went bad he finally got them to send a third. Same thing, no connectivity.

He uses ipconfig and it reports an IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. Task Manager's Network tab says Operational. Pinging the loopback address reports back OK, pinging the IP results in timeouts. SBC tells him everything's fine on their end. So his network settings are good, his NIC is good, the line in is good, the modem is new. Anyone got any ideas what else to look for?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Just a thought but is the IP address etc.. that ipconfig is reporting accurate? I mean do they line up with what he should be getting. If not make sure his networking is all setup for TCP/IP and auto DNS assignment.

Swap out the network cable between his box and the modem. I don't care if it's brand new. Swap it anyway with a cable that you KNOW works.

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
have him go to the command prompt and type:

ipconfig /release

when that finishes

ipconfig /renew

If i remember correctly, SBC uses dynamic addressing, so his computer should be set to DHCP rather than a static IP.

I'm assuming, from what you said, he's not behind a firewall or router. If he is, there's other things to check.

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
I've had him do the ipconfig/release-renew and he got back the same IP, even though he doesn't have a static IP. That's probably just laziness on SBC's part, even though they charge extra for static IP they rarely change the dynamic ones. I'm trying to resolve this for him over the phone since he lives over an hour away and I rarely get out his way. I'll have him try swapping out the the Cat5 cord and the phone cord to the modem, it's a definite possibility. Since it's DSL I'm thinking maybe one of the filters on his other phone lines is malfunctioning, but they want $60 for a service call.

ThomConspicuous

Inconspicuously Informal
Is the IP 169.something?

If so that's a Microsoft default IP that will happen if DHCP isn't working properly. If that is the case then SBC has a problem and should dispatch someone onsite to resolve the matter.

Only other thing I can think of is they screwed up somewhere and have him disabled but are too lazy to check.

Jung

???
Premium
tw33k said:
even though he doesn't have a static IP. That's probably just laziness on SBC's part, even though they charge extra for static IP they rarely change the dynamic ones.
That's not laziness, it's called a DHCP lease. Windows release/renew commands can't force a lease on the network side, they're just releasing the IP from the local network adapter.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
junglizm said:
That's not laziness, it's called a DHCP lease. Windows release/renew commands can't force a lease on the network side, they're just releasing the IP from the local network adapter.
Beyond that, if it's setup like most broadband connections are, the DSL modem receives it's IP from SBC and in turn plays DHCP server to the PC. So even if you could force a lease expiration in Windows it doesn't have anything to do with the IP address assigned by the carrier.

Most DHCP setups for broadband end up being fairly static because you pretty much never shut off the modem anyway. It never gives up it's IP even if your PC does.

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
the SBC modems don't have an IP address of their own. They're just a bridge between the PC and the gateway. or the router and gateway if a router is used. Releasing and renewing the IP from the PC or router can fetch a new IP. It depends on the DHCP server setup, other users connecting or disconnecting, etc etc.

If replacing the RJ15 cable between the modem and the wall outlet doesn't work, have him try unplugging the phones from any other jacks in the house. SBC uses the same twisted pairs for the phone lines and the DLS signal. If the lines are degraded anywhere between the computer and the CO it could cause signal leakage and interfere with the connection. The lines between his house and the CO are SBC property and their responsibility to maintain. The lines from the box on your house to your PC are yours. They can't charge if the problem is with the lines they're responsible for.

Jung

???
Premium
Tostig said:
Releasing and renewing the IP from the PC or router can fetch a new IP. It depends on the DHCP server setup, other users connecting or disconnecting, etc etc.
No ISP or decent sized company is going to allow clients to initiate a lease renewal in this manner, as it defeats the purpose of a time based lease in the first place. The only time a /renew should force a new lease is if the DHCP scope has changed. Normally, issuing the /renew command will only get the last IP set aside in the pool for the MAC address initiating it.