WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Internet Not Working..Wtf?

#1
I am connected to my router wirelessly, when I try to ping it, it says "Destination host unreachable, and I can't do anything internet related. I've tried restarting my computer, taking the power cables out of the router and then replugging, and using the repair function. It says I'm connected at "Excellent" strength, but a little window comes up and says "Little to no connectivity" and I can't do shit. This happened recently, and I wasn't fucking with it or anything. I'm on someone elses computer on the same network, but it actually works.
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,993
1,401
487
#2
Try disconnecting from the network and reconnecting.

Failing that, make sure you're pulling an IP in the correct range.
 
#3
junglizm said:
Try disconnecting from the network and reconnecting.

Failing that, make sure you're pulling an IP in the correct range.
When I try to connect, it says I can't renew my ip address. And I'm not sure how to check if I'm "Pulling an IP in the correct range". Only time this has happened.
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,993
1,401
487
#4
Well you should know what the DHCP range for your network is. Go to the routers config page and see what IP DHCP starts at, and how many IPs it should be leasing. If your IP is out of that range, it isn't going to work.

What is your routers IP?

Paste this ( cmd /k ipconfig /all ) into to run and it'll tell you your IP.
 
#5
I'm on a linksys, so the DHCP ip range starts at 192.168.1.100. Mine was usually 192.168.1.104 Router's Ip address is 192.168.1.1
 

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
3,891
0
0
#6
Bah make sure that the router is setup for Cable or PPPoE. Depending on which one you are using.That's the most common problem.
 
7,261
1,340
218
#7
The Cheat said:
I am connected to my router wirelessly, when I try to ping it, it says "Destination host unreachable, and I can't do anything internet related. I've tried restarting my computer, taking the power cables out of the router and then replugging, and using the repair function. It says I'm connected at "Excellent" strength, but a little window comes up and says "Little to no connectivity" and I can't do shit. This happened recently, and I wasn't fucking with it or anything. I'm on someone elses computer on the same network, but it actually works.
I had the same exact problem, last night. After about an hour or so, my router just seemed to fix itself. I’m still not real sure wtf happened.
 

Janglenut

Particinator
863
0
0
#8
Alright, I'm assuming that you are XP sp2. I have had this same problem with my wireless router and have found out it's a service pack problem which is going to be fixed in the future. I have read many, many, complaints and stories about how to fix it. But the one fix that I have had that works EVERY time is to turn off, (Not restart) your computer, and unplug the power plug. Wait about 20 seconds, plug back in and start er up. Should be working.

Hope it helps, always works in my case.

If not, tell me your router/O.S./ all the rest of the good shit.
 

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
109
157
#10
Janglenut said:
Alright, I'm assuming that you are XP sp2. I have had this same problem with my wireless router and have found out it's a service pack problem which is going to be fixed in the future. I have read many, many, complaints and stories about how to fix it. But the one fix that I have had that works EVERY time is to turn off, (Not restart) your computer, and unplug the power plug. Wait about 20 seconds, plug back in and start er up. Should be working.

Hope it helps, always works in my case.

If not, tell me your router/O.S./ all the rest of the good shit.
. I absolutely love 2000 Pro for stupid mundane reasons like this...But I may be running Server 2003 again soon for that Avalon shit.

That is, if I like Avalon.
 

Janglenut

Particinator
863
0
0
#11
I know it blows. :-( Hopefully they'll get a fix for it soon....


EDIT: Permanant fix. :D

EDIT2: Good to here it fixed your problems man....
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,993
1,401
487
#12
The Cheat said:
Sweet! After following those instructions Jangle, it's working great. Thanks.
Glad Jangle was able to help you. The one time I had this problem, I wasn't pulling the correct IP address.


I take it this is an SP2 problem then? Well, can't say that I'm surprised... although it's never happened to me.
 

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
4,503
102
177
#13
i have the same problem except just today infact something else has been happening. this computer is SP2 and the other one is SP1 and it has the wireless router. today my connection has just been really week and its been disconnecting randomly and then in a couple of seconds itll be better (by disconnecting i mean my internet goes dead)
 

Janglenut

Particinator
863
0
0
#14
Do the instructions that I gave you and it should fix it at the least for a day. I don't know what it does with SP2 but it fixes it shortly and will have to do for everyone until Microsoft gets off their asses.


Yeah, Jung, it's a stricly SP2 error.