WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Intresting Poll

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
"Iraqis appear to be confident in the leaders of their new sovereign government. In a poll conducted in six cities between June 9th and June 19th, more than seventy percent say they have confidence in Prime Minister Iyad Allawi. More than eighty percent have confidence in President Ghazi al-Yawar. And four out of five Iraqis surveyed say they expect the situation in their country to get better now that sovereignty has been turned over."

http://www.voanews.com/uspolicy/Archive/a-2004-07-07-9-1.cfm

I wonder how acurate this is or how they did the polling but at least it a postive note.

Voice of America, has some intresting articals not just about the war. Anyone else know anything about this source of info?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"UN Official: Emergency Food Aid to North Korea Ending
By VOA News
18 September 2005

A U.N. official says the World Food Program (WFP) plans to stop emergency food shipments to North Korea by January.

The head of the WFP office in Pyongyang, Richard Ragan, told the Associated Press that the agency plans to shift its focus to development programs. He says North Korea requested the shift and the government says it has enough food to meet its peoples' needs.

But Mr. Ragan says he still believes there are large numbers of North Koreans who are struggling to meet their basic food needs. The World Food Program started emergency food aid to North Korea in 1995, and has so far distributed $1.5 billion worth of food there."

http://www.voanews.com/english/2005-09-18-voa24.cfm
Didn't hear much about this, To me I guess from what others have said North Korea is very much poverty stricken. I wonder if their leader saying they don't need the food is to break away from dependency on the UN or if it is the truth?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
These polls must have been taken in Shia and Kurdish cities because I highly doubt sunnis are happy with the current situation.

Stupidly, and against the ethics of journalism, they didn't mention the cities in wich this poll have been conducted, and they do not give more details about it, so basically this poll is garbage.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
And when the U.S. “gives its word,” says President Bush, the U.S. “keeps its word.”
Hmmm... have to worry about that. The U.S. can keep it words so long as another president doesn't step and pull the troops outs and leaves Iraq in an even stickier situation.

Source of this poll: Former Coalition Provisional Authority, Baghdad
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040629-5.html

_Kitana_ said:
Hmmm... have to worry about that. The U.S. can keep it words so long as another president doesn't step and pull the troops outs and leaves Iraq in an even stickier situation.
That's why we should make Bush dictator!

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
I Hate The FCC said:
That's why we should make Bush dictator!
It wasn't meant to be like that. It saying this if Bush promises these people our help and says we will be there, and puts it on America. When we switch leaders, if the new president says, " the polls aren't so great on this one. We need to pull out of Iraq and make America Happy." We let the Iraqis down again and we fail to keep our promises. Thus loosing any ground or respect we gained in Iraq.

I am more disagreeing with him saying that he should of worded it different. Saying; "as long as I am president I will be there and make sure America keeps it promise."

You can’t really promise for future leaders.

Jung

???
Premium
That site is bias, but I guess you didn't notice that, right?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
junglizm said:
So then the best way to read the poll results would be this:

"Out of the people who said they had faith in the Iraqi Prime Minister, 70% responded that they had faith in the Prime Minister"

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
junglizm said:
I never said look at this it proves that Iraqis are all for us. I said intresting poll I found on a news site. It has a whole wide range of articals. I found other sites that back up the poll but I couldn't find any indepth info. None the less it is intresting

Jung

???
Premium
It was just a sidebar comment, but judging by the rest of the articles on that site, I’d say it’s slanted more than the average news site.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
junglizm said:
It was just a sidebar comment, but judging by the rest of the articles on that site, I’d say it’s slanted more than the average news site.
Why is it that if they show something postive in the news about iraq it is bias or slanted?

I mean from reading the articles it just reported what was going on with out adding opinionated bullshit in. Leaving you to make up your own mind.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
canadian_pov said:
Yes you can, it happens all the time, ever heard of a treaty?
treaty is diffrent than saying "America Promises to be there" We didn't really sign a treaty with Iraq.

Jung

???
Premium
_Kitana_ said:
Why is it that if they show something postive in the news about iraq it is bias or slanted?
Because that’s the rhetoric you use to dismiss my opinion that the site you referenced is bias?
I mean from reading the articles it just reported what was going on with out adding opinionated bullshit in. Leaving you to make up your own mind.
And that’s truly awesome, it really is. But wait… here’s something profound for you to consider: First, the poll was inconclusive; if you’re going to do a poll and expect it to hold any value at all, you poll everyone, not just limited range of people. Otherwise you don’t get enough information to make a reasonable decision. Second, my own mind tells me that that site is bias! Wow! I guess I did make up my own mind.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
junglizm said:
Because that’s the rhetoric you use to dismiss my opinion that the site you referenced is bias?
And that’s truly awesome, it really is. But wait… here’s something profound for you to consider: First, the poll was inconclusive; if you’re going to do a poll and expect it to hold any value at all, you poll everyone, not just limited range of people. Otherwise you don’t get enough information to make a reasonable decision. Second, my own mind tells me that that site is bias! Wow! I guess I did make up my own mind.
Well when they do national polls they don't really poll the whole damn country. They poll a select group of people from a few cities out of different regions. So we don’t know which cities they polled and which they didn’t.

However, I do have mixed feelings about this poll and I wish they told us what six cities they where. I wasn’t trying to use a rhetorical question more just asking a general question.

I mean someone can post something from the t.v. news lies which is extremely unbalance and people will accept it like its all facts when in reality its not.

Jung

???
Premium
_Kitana_ said:
Well when they do national polls they don't really poll the whole damn country. They poll a select group of people from a few cities out of different regions. So we don’t know which cities they polled and which they didn’t.
Actually, that information is usually divulged and they try to poll as broad an audience as possible.
I mean someone can post something from the t.v. news lies which is extremely unbalance and people will accept it like its all facts when in reality its not.
Look, I know you really don’t have a point otherwise, but don’t compare me to those idiots. I never read that site, nor have I ever linked to one of their articles, so don’t lump me into that category just because you’re fishing for a point to make. All news sources are bias to some degree, but obviously some moreso than others. I was just saying that I don’t think this site is very reputable when it comes to being minimally bias. If you don’t agree with me, then fine, I wasn’t asking you to.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
junglizm said:
Actually, that information is usually divulged and they try to poll as broad an audience as possible.

Look, I know you really don’t have a point otherwise, but don’t compare me to those idiots. I never read that site, nor have I ever linked to one of their articles, so don’t lump me into that category just because you’re fishing for a point to make. All news sources are bias to some degree, but obviously some moreso than others. I was just saying that I don’t think this site is very reputable when it comes to being minimally bias. If you don’t agree with me, then fine, I wasn’t asking you to.
WoW Jung. Seriously I know you dislike me but I am not attacking you nor lumping you together with those who believe sites like that.

I was just saying "Some People" as in general as in a general question. Just the fact you brought up that it was bias made me ponder the damn question not if you where an idiot only believing half the story.

R

RedOctober

Well, it doesn't matter..

In a country like Iraq any poll or election is worthless.
The country is devided from the beginning of the state of Iraq.
The British did that on purpose because of the old Machiavellian rule of "devide and rule".
The Sunni's, Sjiites and Kurds will slit each others throats untill hell freezes over. That's why only a monster can keep these punks under control.
That monster will rise soon after the last American soldier leaves Iraq.

And then it all starts allover again. :rolleyes:

But it also depends on what the poll's goal is. If it's for the information of government officials and people to judge how they act according to actual information then the poll should probably accurate. But if the poll's for raising citizen morale then it's reasonable that the government officials will bias their poll population so a 50% turns into an 80%. This might seem cheating but in a nation when bomber attacks are more frequent than the appearance of blondes on national news, giving people hope is not such a bad thing. (in my opinion)

lady victoria

Too old for this shit!
Premium
_Kitana_ said:
I never said look at this it proves that Iraqis are all for us. I said intresting poll I found on a news site. It has a whole wide range of articals. I found other sites that back up the poll but I couldn't find any indepth info. None the less it is intresting
According to you in another thread you said they were "all for us", which one is it?