WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Investigative Reporting

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I am going undercover!

I discovered a couple weeks ago that my school has NO wheelchair access to the upper half of its campus. Not only is that totally illegal, it's morally wrong and a problem with the school!

So, rather than ask passively, I am going to get a wheelchair, and for a day or more, live the life of a disabled person on a highschool campus. I will not get out of my wheelchair at school.

I am going to see how the administration handles this. There is an entire section, about half of the campus, that cannot be reached in a wheelchair, and there are no students in wheelchairs attending. I hope to cause some change with this as well as write a dynamite article.

I will keep you guys posted!

crunkitup

*sarcastic look*
I love it!

My highschool doesn't have wheelchair access to about half of it either, and so far, I don't think anyone has brought it up with the school board. But I think your way will probably be more effective then that anyway. Hmmm methinks I should find someone with a spare wheelchair sitting around and comduct a similar experiment. Haha, can't wait to hear how it goes, great idea!

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Ick you never fail to be provocatively stimulating and romantically erotic. Indeed, keep us posted.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
crunkitup said:
My highschool doesn't have wheelchair access to about half of it either, and so far, I don't think anyone has brought it up with the school board. But I think your way will probably be more effective then that anyway. Hmmm methinks I should find someone with a spare wheelchair sitting around and comduct a similar experiment. Haha, can't wait to hear how it goes, great idea!
Well not only will I hopefully provoke change immediately, I am a writer for the school newspaper so I'm going to write a hardcore expose either way!

like he ever keeps us posted. remember when the schools news paper asked him to pose for pics? he asked for out thoughts, we gave and we never got to see them? fucker, i'm still waiting.

Sounds interesting. Kind of odd you post this today thought, because my English teacher was just going on about how a few years ago there was no access ways for the physically challenged, and how the school almost got sued.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Nymphchick said:
like he ever keeps us posted. remember when the schools news paper asked him to pose for pics? he asked for out thoughts, we gave and we never got to see them? fucker, i'm still waiting.
I was pissed! They didn't go in, the editor said something about not enough room but I think the papers would spontaneously combust due to the sexiness. During the shoot, though, I asked the girl with the camera if she wanted to do some full nudes later :thumbsup:

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Tape your legs to the chair for the full effect. That way you can't cheat, even if you have to drop a load.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
The possibility of getting in trouble was brought up today. I would be getting special treatment without a real disability or injury, so I could get in trouble.

Should I do it anyways?

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I personally think that at least one teacher should be asked their opinion. I wouldn't bring up the fact that you are trying to get the school in trouble, just the fact that you always wondered about how the lives of people in wheelchairs are different than those of people who are not handi-capped.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
BrIONwoshMunky said:
I personally think that at least one teacher should be asked their opinion. I wouldn't bring up the fact that you are trying to get the school in trouble, just the fact that you always wondered about how the lives of people in wheelchairs are different than those of people who are not handi-capped.
I have already consulted the teacher in charge of journalism, I plan to ask another tomorrow.

St.Anger said:
So? Hows it goin so far?
I should be getting the wheelchair tommorrow.

Jugular

volatile
Icarus said:
I have already consulted the teacher in charge of journalism, I plan to ask another tomorrow.

I should be getting the wheelchair tommorrow.
Sweet :thumbsup:

my school would appear to not have wheelchair access also, but I know its hidden secret....

AN ELEVATOR.

While I love your idea, and sincerely hope your school isn't equipped with one of these handy lifts, I highly doubt there really isn't any handicapped access to a publicly funded school building. If you're in a private school, that may pose a different story.

Granted, the elevator in my school is hidden within the bowels of the janitor's room, but it is there and useable nevertheless.

Keep us updated.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
No, there's no elevator. The school only has one floor, but half of the campus is up a hill. There used to be a flat path but it was cut off due to construction. There is no wheel access, we realized this while trying to move something really heavy on a dolly.