WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

ipod extractor?

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Anyone know of a program that runs on windows XP that lets you copy music from your ipod onto your computer? And please don't let it be one of those programs that only lets you copy 5 at a time or something stupid like that..

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
I can't find a way to take the songs from the ipod, only putting the songs onto the ipod, and if I don't have the songs in my itunes library that I do on my ipod, then it deletes whatever itunes doesn't have, basically deleting everything from my ipod is itunes is blank. I recently had to computer format because I had tried everything to make some spyware/adware and trojans leave but they wouldn't, so after the format I don't have the songs on my computer anymore. And I don't want to lose all 1162 of them.

Edit: Sorry for the recent computer help stuff I've been posting lately.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Plug the iPod into the computer, and then go to My Computer. If it's anything like the Dell DJ (which I have), which it could very well be completely different from, it will have an Explorer built just for it. Open it up and it should take you to it. Highlight the songs, click copy, and put them somewhere else on your computer. Click paste.

It works with my mp3 player, hopefully it will work for yours.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
It's not showing up as a drive..

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
You reformated right? You might need to reinstall any software that came with the iPod, besides iTunes. Without those drivers, and such, the iPod will not be recognized by Windows.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
i know nothing about ipods, but if they plug in as a USB/firewire device, they should automatically be recognized as a PnP device (assuming you're running XP...i think you stated that). it'd be weird if you had to install drivers, that isn't normal for USB devices nor firewire devices.

theLPsoilder

shit happens
yo

i wish i got an ipod instead i got this nike mp3. it sucks ass it takes forever to get ur music on the fuckin thing. i know a person who has an ipod they really really cool.

i want to feel like im somewhere i belong

Jung

???
Premium
LiberatioN said:
i know nothing about ipods, but if they plug in as a USB/firewire device, they should automatically be recognized as a PnP device (assuming you're running XP...i think you stated that). it'd be weird if you had to install drivers, that isn't normal for USB devices nor firewire devices.
You have to use iTunes to add files. I'll mount as a drive but you won't be able to access where the music files are, unless you use a hack, or MyPod.

undiehiker04

Future Conquistador
betrayed said:
Anyone know of a program that runs on windows XP that lets you copy music from your ipod onto your computer? And please don't let it be one of those programs that only lets you copy 5 at a time or something stupid like that..
I had the exact same problem and i tried for like 3 days straight to fiddle with it and get my songs off of it. I had 1000+ songs on mine too and i just ended up deleting them b/c i got aggravated. Overall I did loose some of my media but i just put all my music back on my computer with my back up discs i made about a month or so before the formatting it. It really sucks ass having to deal with it but I don't think you can get the songs off your iPod and put them into your computer.

Descent

Hella Constipated
An iPod? Two words: Entempo Spirit.

www.entempo.com

I just got a 20GB player from these guys for $140 with a great GUI, a plethora of features, AND NO DRIVERS NEEDED! It rocks! Just drag and drop from your Windows/Linux PC or Mac. It also plays WAV files, so I can now enjoy my stuff in HD. Just be sure to flash the firmware, or the screen will have a hard to read font and it will crash a lot. All you have to do is download the ZIP file, extract the file from it, copy it to the player, and unplug when finished. After you unplug it, it will update it in under 5 seconds.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
It also plays WAV files, so I can now enjoy my stuff in HD.
I'm still waiting for a player that will support FLAC or Ape (Monkey's Audio). There's really no need for the bloat of wav files anymore; lossless compression has come a long way in the past few years. There are some things I just wouldn't feel right ripping to a lossy format, but I don't want 1GB albums either.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I have heard of FLAC, but I have never read up on the specs. But what the heck is Ape?

Fortunately, the kind folks over at Entempo seem to be releasing new firmware every month. Maybe they will add in support, but it may be on a software level. They say that by January they will have a patch that adds in some new playlist format features. Seriously, who would spend $250+ dollars on an iPod when this $140 player does everything it does and more? It seems to be making quite the stir on the Internet for such a new product.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
I have heard of FLAC, but I have never read up on the specs. But what the heck is Ape?
Um, that's why I posted a link.

Monkey's Audio usually cuts the size of a wav in half, but maintains full information. So, if you ever transcode it back to wav, you won't lose anything. Of course you can alway transcode to mp3, mpc or ogg as well. I encode all of my production or recordings to Ape.

Check out their effeciancy chart. http://www.monkeysaudio.com/comparison.html

Descent

Hella Constipated
Wow...that's a nice format! Judging by how Entempo is trying to take over the market (Read their press releases, the Spirit is the first 20GB player to be sold for less than $100), the more features they add to their arsenal, the better. I had no clue I was an early adopter until two hours ago...I thought I was just buying a generic product, not something made by an ambitious start up! Took a load off my shoulders, but the early adopter part freaked me. I usually wait a year or two for new, undeveloped technology.

On a more humerous note, the first four caharcters of my serial number are "RI4A." I love the irony...A man who hates evil moguls ends up with a device that has "RIAA" printed on the serial number. One of a kind, no other product has that in existance! MUAHAHAHA! F34R the almighty gods of irony!

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
On a more humerous note, the first four caharcters of my serial number are "RI4A." I love the irony!
Post a pic.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I'll try tomorrow when it's bright and I can use my dad's digicam...This Kodak is horrible! It couldn't even get the text on the front of the display!