WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Iraq on the verge of a civil war?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
It seems that Al Qaida's Zarqawi is trying to spark a civil war in Iraq.

Iraqi Shia leader appeals for unity

Iraq's most influential Shia political leader today called for unity between Shia and Sunni Muslims in a bid to calm sectarian tensions that risk plunging the country into civil war.
A curfew in Baghdad and three provinces appears to have eased the violence that has killed around 120 people since the bombing of the al-Askari shrine in Samarra, one of Shia Islam's most revered sites, on Wednesday.

In a statement read over national television, Abdul-Aziz al-Hakim said those who had carried out the bombing "do not represent the Sunnis in Iraq".

full article

In my opinion, the Shias are blind to attack and blame Sunnis for the bombing of their shrine. They're doing exactly what the bombers wanted. You got a few extremists who want to spark a civil war and they're all falling for it.

Húanzlat

Hoodrat
well, there's a lot of suppressed bitterness after iraq was invaded by allied forces, and maybe they're leading their violent actions away from danish/norwegian targets to something they really can attack, unlike foreign troops.

IMHO, yes I believe a civil war could brake out, but not totally uncontrolled. the UN and the countries with soldiers in Iraq would try to stop it. Not that i'm an expert though.

Aazon

Ninja Please
Wow that's kind of weird. My geography teacher was just talking about this in class today. I think the middle east will always be a place of conflict it seems...

frgrbrgr

Clitpickle
Aazon said:
Wow that's kind of weird. My geography teacher was just talking about this in class today. I think the middle east will always be a place of conflict it seems...
it may seem like it, but im sure at some point there will be a bigger conflict...

Before any Iraqi civil war could break out, it would be stopped. The problem with civil wars these days is outside involvement. International forces intervening on civil wars will ALWAYS spark hatred from nationalistic groups. :rolleyes: what can one do?

FlipTheState

BOOBIES!!!
RageAgainst said:
It seems that Al Qaida's Zarqawi is trying to spark a civil war in Iraq.

In my opinion, the Shias are blind to attack and blame Sunnis for the bombing of their shrine. They're doing exactly what the bombers wanted. You got a few extremists who want to spark a civil war and they're all falling for it.
Umm...no shit. This has been the case for over two years.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-iraq08mar08,1,1131687.story

USA´s ambassador of Iraq Zalmay Khalilzad has made an unusual move on his interview on the Los Angeles Times last tuesday. Zalmay said that the war in Iraq has opened a Pandoras box, and that the country is on a verge of a capital war, that would make the horribilities committed by talebans in Afghanistan seem like childs play. Experts say that he only stated the obvious. This is the first time an ambassador has ever so roughly stated his views against the administrations policy. Wonder how long will he be an ambassador...

At the same time horribilities in Iraq are growing, 18 people were found tied up, tortured, and dead in a minibus in Iraq. Official sources state that over 500 people have been killed in the monstrosoties in Iraq, but the real figure is fthought to be many times higher.

Wonder if Bush will ever have the balls to call the troops out. Iraqs own army is not strong enough, but then again having a foreign invader in the country is sparking resistance everywhere in Iraq... There is not even a sign of anyone of the official authorities building an intercultural bridge.

One does not have to be an oracle to see that longer US stays in Iraq more difficult the situation gets. Terrorism (as west understands it) and anti-americanism will keep on growing. It will almost inevitably result in a civil war.

Oh, and the "help" USA´s invasion has brought can be checked here :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4788030.stmhttp://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-iraq08mar08,1,1131687.story