WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

IRC for n00bs (aka dummies)

I took upon myself the task of creating a tutorial with the simple purpose of getting more people into IRC.

Well, Jason suggested I do this, about a week ago. But, I'm a lazy bastard, so I haven't got around to it until now.

Step 1: Go to www.mirc.com and download the correct client. You can find a list of the clients in the link labeled, in big, blue letters "Download mIRC." My understanding is it doesn't really matter which area you choose, but they're all there just to confuse you. I could be wrong of course, and probably am, so choose the area closest to you.

Also, be sure to choose the correct operating system. If you don't know what operating system your computer has, you're a fucking moron who shouldn't be on computers in the first place.

Step 2: Once you have the client successfully downloaded and installed, double click on the little mirc icon. The one that looks like pacman with a tail.

Yeah that. OMG a screenshot. I'm so l33t.

Anyway, moving on.

Step 3: Once in, you will get a screen that looks like this:

As you can see, there are a number of potentially useless tabs to the side of that annoying little box thing. The only 2 that I'm going to cover are the first 2. Connect and Servers.

First of all, the connect tab. I'm not going to take a screenshot for a number of reasons.

• I'm a lazy bastard
  • It's not that difficult to figure out what to put in those input fields. (I hope I'm getting the terminology right. If not, jung can shoot me.)

This is simply where you choose your name... Don't enter your real name, or you'll get freaky stalkers such as Max, as I have already found out, and your nickname, which is just what other people will see you as. Neither of which are important.

The next tab is labelled "Servers."

The one I put up there, but I'll post it again for your conveniance. Lazy bastards. Here it is again.

Make sure your box looks something like that. Again, choose an Efnet server near you. Or, as close as you can possibly get, which, in my case, is Calgary. Still 16 hours away, but what the hell...

Once you're ready, click Connect to Server.

Step 4: Once you clicked on that dreaded button, you will get a box that looks like this:

Here, you can choose from a variety of many lovely servers. However, the one you want, which is called #wtf.com, for some fucked up reason, most likely will not be in there. Therefore, you must undergo the task of typing #wtf.com into the Field. You can, however, add it, as I have not done, because, once again, I'm a lazy bastard.

There you go. A lot of useless information that most of you will probably not use anyway.

However, for those who do choose to use this guide... Let your IRC adventures begin.

*drum roll and trumpets and whatever the hell else there is.*

:happysad:

Sinamon

~Broken Angel~
Way to go hun. You did a great job with this tutorial. I knew you could do it...hehe. :love: :hug2:

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
HOW TO GO ON "TEH IRC" WITHOUT DOWNLOADING ANYTHING v1.2

Version history:

1.0 Done. Finished.
1.1 Added pics, added the the "history". Made it look a little cleaner.
1.2 Added a few things for THE FUCKING RETARDS who don't read.

Here's the solution I have to all those who don't want to download TEH EVILE MRIC CUZ I HVAE TEH VRIOUS WINDDOWS! (remedy to ALL viruses can be found here).

Step 1. Go to www.mircx.com

There is no downloading, it's just a java client (much like the one used by the "Chat" button (Fig. A) on the forums' toolbar (which will be back up eventually). It all stays in the browser, and is secure.

Fig. A

NOTE: THE "CHAT" BUTTON IS NOT CURRENTLY WORKING! FIG. A IS ONLY FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

When you arrive to the site, you see this (Fig. B)

Fig. B

Step 2. You will (obviously) need a nickname. A good idea is to put in the name that you go by on WTF!?, a variation of it (sometimes it doesn't fit, etc.) ex. "screwy" instead of "screw_ball", or, if a completely unrelated name is a must for you, just tell whomever asks you what your WTF!? name is. When you've chosen an appropriate nick. you must enter it (obviously) into the "nickname" box, as shown on Fig. C

Fig. C

Step 3. After you've entered a nickname, here comes the hardest part (which is still really easy). You need to enter a server. Now, the #wtf.com channel is a paty of the Efnet Chat Network, which contains many servers. In this case, you must enter the server manually. The link provided contains the entire list of Efnet servers. Choose the one that suits best yout location. One of the most popular servers is irc.prison.net, which I will be using in this demonstration (see Fig. D)

Fig. D

Now, there's no need to change the port, as it's already the one we want.

Step 4. Click "Connect"! Unless your Java settings are not enabled (try going into your browser's "Preferences" and see if Java is turned on), it should work like a charm.

Step 5. Now is the time to enter a room (prefferably, for your sake) WTF!?'s own room, or "channel", if you prefer. Channels are always preceded with a # sign. So wtf.com's channel name would be #wtf.com. To join this channel, or any other channel, you must enter the /join #(name of the channel you want to enter) command. There are many other commands, but I won't get into those.

Step 6. Poof! Voila! You are "teh" chatting. If you are a member of the site, an "op" (like an damin) will "voice" you, meaning you, well, belong there. We don't usually get many non-members on the IRC, and they usually just troll or are overall nuisances. Remember to respect the "ops" (the ops are MODs and Admin, so they DO have authority), or they'll kick you, meaning that they eject you from the channel. You can some back right after, though. If they REALLY get annoyed, they'll ban you for a certain amount of time, blocking you from the channel.

Enjoy, and stop spamming the ShoutBox!

EDIT: I think Unfa and I's posts should be merged into the "Rules" or the "Feedaback & Suggestions" or something.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Unforgiven said:
I'm not going to take a screenshot for a number of reasons.

• I'm a lazy bastard
  • It's not that difficult to figure out what to put in those input fields. (I hope I'm getting the terminology right. If not, jung can shoot me.)
Why is it that you're always too lazy to do something, but not too lazy to give long detailed explanations about why you're too lazy to do something?

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
Chatroom link in header now functioning again for those who don't wish to install any clients...

i'm a lazy bastard too, i'm lazy to download mirc i want some to download it for me, i'm dyingggggggggggg over here eee

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
For those caught unawares, mIRC now supports SSL as do a number of EFNet servers. Setting up mIRC for SSL is fairly simple as pointed out by the guide [ mIRC: Using SSL with mIRC ].

Using SSL with mIRC

The latest versions of mIRC all support secure server connections via SSL using the OpenSSL library. To use the OpenSSL library with mIRC you will need to download the library and place it in the mIRC folder or in the Windows System folder. You can then run mIRC and the OpenSSL library will be used automatically.

Where can I download the OpenSSL library?

An installer for OpenSSL 0.9.8i can be found here: openssl-0.9.8i-setup.exe.

This version of the OpenSSL library was created using a default compilation of the OpenSSL source files from the OpenSSL website and as such may or may not be suitable for your particular needs. If you have the technical skills to compile your own, please feel free to do so.

Where do I install OpenSSL?

You will need to place the files either in the mIRC folder (typically C:\Program Files\mIRC or C:\Program Files (x86)\mIRC) or in the Windows System folder (typically C:\Windows\System32).

What do I do next?

You can now run mIRC as usual and it should find and use the OpenSSL library automatically. To confirm whether mIRC has loaded the OpenSSL library, you can open the Options dialog and look in the Connect/Options section to see if the "SSL" button is enabled.

You can also check the $sslready identifier to determine whether mIRC has loaded the OpenSSL library successfully.

To initiate a secure connection to an SSL capable server, you can use the /server -e switch, or prefix the port number with a plus sign, eg. +7001. Once connected, the variable $ssl can be used to determine whether the current connection is secure.

Which servers support SSL connections?

If an IRC network or server supports SSL connections they will normally advertise this fact in the MOTD that you see when you first connect to the server. You can look at the MOTD of your usual network or server to see if they support SSL connections.

EFNet SSL Servers port +9999:

US Region
  • irc.blessed.net - ssl - 1205 users - Dallas, TX - Globalcon.net, LLC
  • irc.choopa.net - ipv6 - ssl - 1556 users - New York, NY - Choopa LLC
  • irc.eversible.com - ssl - 1174 users - Miami, FL - Eversible
  • irc.paraphysics.net - ipv6 - ssl - 969 users - Houston, TX - nLayer
  • irc.servercentral.net - ssl - 4008 users - Chicago, IL - Server Central
  • irc.umich.edu - ssl - 735 users - Ann Arbor, MI - University of Michigan
  • irc.vel.net - ssl - 1039 users - Los Angeles, CA - Velocity Network, Inc
  • irc2.choopa.net - ssl - 399 users - New York, NY - Choopa LLC

EU Region
  • irc.efnet.ch - ipv6 - ssl - 1766 users - Geneva, Switzerland - IP-Man
  • irc.pte.hu - ssl - 1224 users - Pècs, Hungary - University of Pècs

Canda Region
  • irc.choopa.ca - ipv6 - ssl - 743 users - Montreal, QC - Choopa LLC

Why would I need a secure connection?

mIRC is used by many organizations, from corporate to governmental, that need to communicate over secure connections. Various educational organizations that provide online teaching also require communications that are secure for privacy reasons. Apart from that, many individuals around the world also depend on secure communications, whether for personal, political, business, or other reasons. Whether you need to use secure communications depends on your own personal circumstances. If it's not something that you think you need then you probably don't.

Important issues to note

Information you exchange with an IRC server over a secure connection cannot be viewed or modified by others. However, be aware that traffic between public servers on a network is exchanged over plain, unencrypted lines. This means that if you want to be sure that your communication is secure, you and the person with whom you want to communicate securely should both connect to the same SSL-capable server, and communicate via a query window. If talking on a channel, be aware that everyone on the channel must be on a secure connection. If one person on the channel is not on a secure connection, your communications on that channel will not be secure.