WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines IRS Investigating NAACP for Criticism of President

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Los Angeles Times

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service has informed the NAACP that it is investigating whether the civil rights organization improperly "intervened in a political campaign" when it posted on its website a speech by Chairman Julian Bond that condemned the Bush administration's policies.

The IRS sent a letter Oct. 8, less than a month before Tuesday's election, to the National Assn. for the Advancement of Colored People informing it of the investigation. The group has until Nov. 5 to respond.

"I think what's at issue is our right to criticize the president of the United States," Bond said Thursday. "The IRS is saying that because I criticized the president's education policies, his economic policies and his war policies that somehow I placed the tax exemption for the NAACP at risk."
===========================================================
Hmmm, I wonder what made the IRS take on this investigation?

Sounds like some ill-timed retribution to me...

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
what a waste of an organization... this group isn't for the "advancement of colored people" it is for the advancement of themselves at the expense of "colored people" at the very least it is for the "advancement of Liberal colored people"... if a "colored person" ran as the Republican nominee they most likely wouldn't support them.. at some point will the leaders of this group stand up and declare that they are closing up shop because "colored people" need no further advancing... no... they are an arm of the Democratic party that only represents thier own interests not the people they claim to be protecting/helping.... I feel they hurt racial relations by insisting on racial motives in any incident that involves two or more people from different races...

people are people.. irregardless of skin color... <---- intentional Bushism...

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
i agree that is the state the NAACP is in now, but it was started with noble intentions...couldnt exactly point to when but i cant draw the connection between advancing colored people and becoming a mouth piece for what ever issues the "board" deems fit....its not their job to endorse or attack anybody, they need to worry about all this "people advancing" that has yet to be done.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
DanGeo23 said:
what a waste of an organization... this group isn't for the "advancement of colored people" it is for the advancement of themselves at the expense of "colored people" at the very least it is for the "advancement of Liberal colored people"...

Word!

Jung

???
Premium
Yes, because we all know the Bush administration has done so much for minorities. Only an obviously biased and partisan groupd could criticize him. Especially when he refuses to even come to speak with that group, something that president after president has decided to do. It's pretty easy for the group to seem one sided, considering that only one side of the political spectrum is at all concerned with aiding their cause.
Historically, the NAACP has criticized both Republican and Democratic administrations. Bond said: “The NAACP has always been non-partisan, but that doesn’t mean we’re non-critical. Only in an Orwellian world would honest disagreement be considered partisan, or honest differences called election interference.”
As far as racist idiots go. They hate anything having to do with black people. Anyone who has ever complained about BET, Martin Luther King Jr. day, or historically black colleges is being a fucking idiot. These are the exact same people who will complain about the NAACP regardless of what they do. The NAACP could do nothing but hand out ice cream and these same people would have a problem because of the title of the organization alone. We should NOT conform the world to such idiots. And as long as these people exist, the NAACP will be necessary.
If a "colored person" ran as the Republican nominee they most likely wouldn't support them.
I'm glad you too view Alan Keys as some form of barely sentient vegtable, rather than as an actual "colored person."

tzedek

Original Member
why the hell is the IRS investigating this?

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
voiceofreason said:
Hmmm, I wonder what made the IRS take on this investigation?

Sounds like some ill-timed retribution to me...

Sounds similar to the Howard Stern situation. Where Stern, (after supporting Bush for so long) Spoke out about one thing regarding Bush's policy, that he disagreed with; was attacked by the FCC 2 days later. The FCC mysteriously drudged up a 3 year old complaint.

It backfired on them though. Stern with over 16 Million listeners, now uses his airtime to hammer Bush with every ounce of his bandwidth.

Rash move Bush. Think before you act.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
Jung said:
Bush administration has done so much for minorities
so what does he have to do.. frame his domestic policy around the wants and needs of minorities... I don't think he worries about what race someone is... a person is a person... he does support the original version of "affirmative action"..
Jung said:
Especially when he refuses to even come to speak with that group,
they didn't support him before he refused... it was because of Mr. Bond and his comments.. that he refused... I believe that he NAACP was responsible for an ad that ran in 2000 where James Byrd's (murdered by white racists in Jasper,Tx by being dragged behind a truck) sister said that having GWB elected would be like having her brother murdered all over again... and in MO they sponsored a telephone ad that claimed that if Republicans were elected that more black churches would burn... sounds like the race card to me... he shouldn't have to pander to the group.. he met with lesser known minority groups... because they are less partisan...
Jung said:
As far as racist idiots go. They hate anything having to do with black people.
I must be a racist idiot... because I feel that racial quotas and racial groups that put one group ahead of others ... perpetuate racial stereotypes and strife..I don't like "BET"... as a name because it says to me.. ... you won't be entertained.. you won't get it.. .you aren't black... it puts a label on something as only entertaing to one race.. which sounds racist... I have no problem with "historicaly black colleges" because they are just that.. historicly so... I do however feel that it makes other races less likely to want to attend.. and thus hurts the diversity that is usually strived for on college campuses... I have no problem with the MLK holiday.. I just wish our government wasn't such cheap asses.. and woulda gave him his own federal day.. and kept G.Washingtons and A. Lincoln's b-days as federal holidays.. instead of making Presidents day...
Jung said:
I'm glad you too view Alan Keys as some form of barely sentient vegtable,
Keyes is a politician.. I agree with most of his platform.. but not all... he seems a little "off" to me... I do however like J.C. Watts... and think he is a great man.. that has lots of potential.. too bad he got outta politics(I think he did)

my opinion.. most people that scream racism.. are really just racists... and don't know it...
racism isn't a one-way street