WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Is a Geforce2 MX 200 a really shitty card?

tzedek

Original Member
I ran the Microsoft game advisor and it says my comp cant run HL2. All the other specs meet the min. requirements except the video (I think). its a 2x agp 64mb card. I didnt think it was that bad :(
recommend me a good ard for under 75 or so on ebay.

Jung

???
Premium
You're probably going to need at least a 128MB card to run HL2. You should look into a Gforce FX Ultra or a Radeon.

gumercules

Ultra Mega
i have a geforce2 gts that's about 4 years old - it was top of the line back then, i think 64 megs. i don't plan to even try to run anything new on it. yours is probably about as old as mine..

Descent

Hella Constipated
Actually, that thing could BARELY run HL2. I got it running on an OCed TNT2 (Same speed as your card) at about 30-60 ps deathmatch...and that's only in one map.

Single player? Forghetta 'bout it.

For under $75, a GF4 Ti4200 is the best bet. Cheap, and fast. However, I would buy one from this link...don't plan saving too much on eBay...I already checked a few weeks before.

http://www.amamax.com/ingeti12ddr8.html

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Yes, it's a total piece of shit card in this day and age. Any video card that is over two years old isn't enough for today's latest games. The ATI 9600 series isn't too bad. So for about $100-$150 you'll get a card that's easily 6 times faster than the card you have now.

VenomHowell

Cynical Piece of Shit
I say fuck it, and get a Radeon X800 XT PE. That baby will be chugging on the top of the line for some time! I'm currently still awaiting my X800 PRO, which is on backorder in all of Canada apparantly (Or so the supplier says. Then again, they don't know their own asshole from a CD drive... Now there's an interesting image ><)

tzedek

Original Member
VenomHowell said:
I say fuck it, and get a Radeon X800 XT PE. That baby will be chugging on the top of the line for some time! I'm currently still awaiting my X800 PRO, which is on backorder in all of Canada apparantly (Or so the supplier says. Then again, they don't know their own asshole from a CD drive... Now there's an interesting image ><)

im not into buying the newest stuff. Thats why I run a tualatin :D

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
tzedek said:
I ran the Microsoft game advisor and it says my comp cant run HL2. All the other specs meet the min. requirements except the video (I think). its a 2x agp 64mb card. I didnt think it was that bad :(
recommend me a good ard for under 75 or so on ebay.
yeah those were shitty graphics cards anyway you should pay extra for that little bit better

Descent

Hella Constipated
Good luck trying to run that on a POS Tualatin. You can't turn the physics off; even with an X800XT PE your system would be bottlenecking like shit because of your CPU. I would recommend that you buy this cheap ass shit, so you could actually play some games:

Cheap ass mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-185-010&depa=1

Cheap ass CPU:

http://www.pcprogress.com/product.asp?m1=pw&pid=AMDXP2000+OEM

Cheap ass RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-200-041&depa=1

Cheap ass video card:

http://www.unitedsale.com/product_info.php?products_id=90

So your new upgrade will have:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU
256MB Apacer PC2100 RAM
Visiontek Xtasy Radeon 9100 128MB Video card (Radeon 8500LE core, much faster than a 9000/9200)
PC Chips M811LU Via KT266A Mobo

Cost: $173.24

That's the only way you could play HL2. Anything lower, and it would be unplayable.

tzedek

Original Member
jstager said:
Good luck trying to run that on a POS Tualatin. You can't turn the physics off; even with an X800XT PE your system would be bottlenecking like shit because of your CPU. I would recommend that you buy this cheap ass shit, so you could actually play some games:

Cheap ass mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-185-010&depa=1

Cheap ass CPU:

http://www.pcprogress.com/product.asp?m1=pw&pid=AMDXP2000+OEM

Cheap ass RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-200-041&depa=1

Cheap ass video card:

http://www.unitedsale.com/product_info.php?products_id=90

So your new upgrade will have:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU
256MB Apacer PC2100 RAM
Visiontek Xtasy Radeon 9100 128MB Video card (Radeon 8500LE core, much faster than a 9000/9200)
PC Chips M811LU Via KT266A Mobo

Cost: $173.24

That's the only way you could play HL2. Anything lower, and it would be unplayable.
thats pretty cool, i would get a 3000+ though. I dont really feel like spending the money. The min. requirements are a 1200 P3 and I meet that so I am all set there. Im not big into FPS, though I did like the first HL. And I really dont see your point with getting that 2000+ cpu, all the benchmarks I have seen have put the 1400 tualatin on par with that.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
tzedek said:
thats pretty cool, i would get a 3000+ though. I dont really feel like spending the money. The min. requirements are a 1200 P3 and I meet that so I am all set there. Im not big into FPS, though I did like the first HL. And I really dont see your point with getting that 2000+ cpu, all the benchmarks I have seen have put the 1400 tualatin on par with that.
You must not have looked at gaming benchmarks recently. The big downside to the Tualatin is it's extremely dated platform. You're missing out on Dual-Channel DDR memory as well as SSE2/3DNow+ instruction streams. All the newer games are very reliant on the CPU for physics calculations. I can notice a difference in the smoothness of my games when I run my CPU at 2.4Ghz vs 2.5Ghz vs 2.6Ghz raw speed [3800+ rating for the AMD XP series]. Every extra step helps out. The "minimum requirements" for games now adays are a joke. They're understated by a factor of 2 if you want an enjoyable experience.

tzedek

Original Member
here are 2 benchmarks i just ran on my cpu. Right now it is clocked at 1356, remember i can take it to at least 1450 and maybe as far as 1600. link to a guy who got the same cpu as mine up to 1.6 with similar cooling

notice that my cpu compares closely to the P4 2 ghz, but the 2000+ does perform a good amount better than my current setup. I know that the AMD system would run faster becuase of the fsb, better ram, etc., but remember you said my major bottleneck would be the cpu.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Yes, after you upgrade your video card, the next major bottleneck is your CPU. The CPU is reliant upon the FSB and Memory interfaces. Also those CPU benchmarks you've shown dont show how games will utilize it.

EDITS: Added the following the show CPU dependence of HL2 after Video Card dependence.

I cant find the better HL2 cpu/gpu scaling articles, but here's the summary from AnandTech December Gaming Buyers Guide.
The past few months have been huge for gamers. First came the long-awaited Doom 3 and now we have Half-Life 2 - not to mention the numerous other titles that are eagerly awaited. Surprisingly, both games can scale down with slower systems quite well. However, those looking to get the most out of their system should now have a lot of ideas for upgrades. As our recent look at the CPU and GPU scaling of Half-Life 2 have shown, a 2.4 GHz/2400+ processor paired with a moderate graphics is sufficient for running at low to medium detail levels. Older Pentium 3 and Athlon systems will have difficulty running modern games, and for such systems, a full upgrade is in order. We have provided options to fit any budget ranging from $800 to several thousand dollars.
Here's a decent AMD CPU guide to HalfLife2 to show you just exactly how CPU limited the game is with even the top-end video cards: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/half-life_2_athlon_xp/ . They've seen 40% - 44% speedups going from an Athlon XP 2100+ to a 3200+.

Also, here's an decent overall CPU guide to HalfLife2: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/half_life_2_cpu_shootout/. It basically shows how the AMD Athlon 64 is the premium cpu to have for gaming in HL2. Even the entry level AMD 64 3000+ puts up 60% performance speedup compated to an Athlon XP 2100+.

tzedek

Original Member
From the site...

Often times a gamer on a budget will spend all his money or the latest and greatest graphics card, and pair it with an anemic processor such as a Celeron or his three-year old Pentium 4 1.5GHz. This is simply a quick way to waste your money as the performance of the graphics card will be limited by the host CPU. This is where the term CPU-limited comes from and can be seen in our performance graphs when the frame rate stays the same regardless of screen resolution.

I think they are making fun of me... :(

Im not hell-bent on running HL2, I was just looking at that. My video card now doesnt have a fan, and it does run very, very hot. So, I figure I would be just as well off spending 75 on a new video card, then sell the one i have now for 20, as spending 25 for cooling for the crappy card i have now. Plus this card is only 2x and my mobo supports up to 4x. I am a cheap bastard when it comes to computer stuff. Sometime I will be upgrading to all the stuff you guys run now, but probably not for another year when it is much cheaper.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
tzedek said:
I am a cheap bastard when it comes to computer stuff. Sometime I will be upgrading to all the stuff you guys run now, but probably not for another year when it is much cheaper.
And in 2 months my system will be majorly revamped and upgraded. I've pretty much been running on a level of at least an AMD XP 3200+ CPU / ATI 9700 Pro video card for 2.5 years now. I've done minor upgrades here and there which have worked out to zero cost to me, but the core system has remained the same over that time. Sure, it may have costed a bit at first, but it's been well worth it. When you average out the cost over time, it works out to dirt cheap. The bonus is having had 2.5 years of enjoying any game I've wanted to play at it's top settings. If you upgrade in a year, try to go for at least a level of one notch below top of the line. This way it'll last you a significant amount of time and provide for an amazing gaming experience.

tzedek

Original Member
im getting a Nvidia Geforce 4 TI 4200. Not anything special, but it is an upgrade. It does have a fan and runs 4x... :D

Descent

Hella Constipated
Sweet! The TI4200 is great, I used to have one.

Don't get one made by PNY. Just about every GF4 TI card they made had bad capacitors. The same goes for Gainward: I had one that was great, but the RAMDAC on the chip failed...

Gainward makes great cards (My bro has a 5900XT they clock to 5900 Ultra speeds), but their TI series had a few bad eggs. I got lucky, though.

If you want to overclock, get one with square BGA RAM, and not rectangular TSOP RAM. TSOP = LAME.

Also, be sure you don't have a shitty power supply in there, or else you will get teh dreaded LOCKUPS!!!111!!!1!11!!1one!