WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Is Abortion wrong?

Hey everybody! I just want to know your opinions on abortion so maybe we could start some sort of debate about whether abortions should be legal and what not or something similar. Go on. You know you want to. :)

GottaHurt

Sexual Deviant
Personally, I think abortion is wrong, but, I'm Pro Choice.As a man, I don't think I have a right to tell a woman what she can and cannot do with her body.I think the toughest part of the debate, aside from the religious aspect, are the different scenario's that can arise.

Here's several examples to ponder:

1) A man and a woman concieve a child, the woman wants to abort, the man doesn't.

2) A man and a woman concieve a child, the man wants to abort, the woman doesn't.

3) Does a fetus have legal rights? If so, then at conception? Or at what stage?

As I stated in the beginning, I have to remain Pro Choice, because to me there are no clear answers, and until there's an absolute solution, then a woman, IMO, should have the last say in regard to her body.

GottaHurt said:
Personally, I think abortion is wrong, but, I'm Pro Choice.As a man, I don't think I have a right to tell a woman what she can and cannot do with her body.I think the toughest part of the debate, aside from the religious aspect, are the different scenario's that can arise.

Here's several examples to ponder:

1) A man and a woman concieve a child, the woman wants to abort, the man doesn't.

2) A man and a woman concieve a child, the man wants to abort, the woman doesn't.

3) Does a fetus have legal rights? If so, then at conception? Or at what stage?

As I stated in the beginning, I have to remain Pro Choice, because to me there are no clear answers, and until there's an absolute solution, then a woman, IMO, should have the last say in regard to her body.
I'm fairly pro-choice, but generall conside the very three points you brought up. I understand that a pregnancy affects a woman. However, looking at the long term - that's the man's child, too.

I've always made sure to discuss the options (the good ol' "what are we gonna do if you get pregnant" talk) before becoming too serious with a girlfriend. If her thoughts/beliefs are not in line with mine, then I tend to re-think things.

GottaHurt

Sexual Deviant
badassmtbiker said:
I'm fairly pro-choice, but generall conside the very three points you brought up. I understand that a pregnancy affects a woman. However, looking at the long term - that's the man's child, too.

I've always made sure to discuss the options (the good ol' "what are we gonna do if you get pregnant" talk) before becoming too serious with a girlfriend. If her thoughts/beliefs are not in line with mine, then I tend to re-think things.
Spot on.Generally I don't date women under the age of 24.Not that a light bulb comes on at that age (ignorance is found at any age, and by both genders), but they usually are a bit more experienced and have an understanding by then, that birth control can be a one way street, in which it's pretty much up to them to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancies/stds.I can't speak for everyone, but I can say I've been in the pleasure crease more than once, without my jumpsuit on.

debatemasterblu said:
Hey everybody! I just want to know your opinions on abortion so maybe we could start some sort of debate about whether abortions should be legal and what not or something similar. Go on. You know you want to. :)
I don't think it's wrong. I can't say that abortion is something I'd choose to do, however, I don't think it's wrong.

Bigfoot

Clitpickle
I belive that abortion is wrong. Don't get me wrong I think women should do whatever the hell they want to themseleves, but if they get pregnent they should take care of the child. Hell that child could grow up to be a doctor or scientist they could save your ass from death or a serious illness. So until that fetus can pop his head out and say "Hey guys its ok i'm gonna be a worthless bastard." They shouldn't be aborted.

screw_you_jack

Pig Tails and a Shotgun
touchy subject.... rasied in a very religious family i was taught that abortion is a sin becuase it's murder, but as i woman i think that one should have a choice. There are no absolute rights or wrongs in this subject i think.... it all comes down to a person's own morals and beliefs.

okay...

I can see where all of you are coming from with it being the woman's right to decide what happens with her body and what not. However, I remember a quote by some famous person, whose name eludes me. The quote is "Where there is blood, there is life." I believe that this could easily be applied to this topic, and the fact that the baby does indeed have its own thoughts and feelings, while not fully developed or even fully understood, makes me look at abortion as a bad thing. I cannot see how courts can say that if a man kills a pregnant woman, and both the woman and the baby dies, than the man can be charged with murder for both. Therefore, they are saying that the infant does indeed have its own respectable life. Why, then, is this never brought up when debating about abortion? I believe that abortion is easily considered premeditated homocide towards an infant. It's just not right. If you don't want a head popping out, don't allow a head to pop in. there's my quote.

mthrlangl

Clitpickle
debatemasterblu said:
I cannot see how courts can say that if a man kills a pregnant woman, and both the woman and the baby dies, than the man can be charged with murder for both. Therefore, they are saying that the infant does indeed have its own respectable life. Why, then, is this never brought up when debating about abortion?
Actually, it is brought up. In fact, there's a pretty big stink about it right now. However, the law was supposedly written so that it didn't include abortion.

Now. For my $.02. I am personally very, very pro-life, and my son proves it. I was 19 when I got pregnant. I was in a horrible relationship with a man who'd stopped caring about me a long time ago. By myself, I didn't have the balls to leave him - don't ask why, because I'm not sure myself. But when I got pregnant, it was obvious that he didn't want either of us. Don't get me wrong, abortion crossed my mind. (As did throwing myself in front of a subway train.) But my god, how could I do that, especially looking at my son now? (The darling child who was just stabbing me with a foil sword. :: rolls eyes :: )

However. No matter my personal beliefs, I would vote pro-choice. My morals aren't your morals, and if you insist on killing your child/fetus, then you shouldn't have to do it in a back alley with a coat hanger. I think until society changes, abortion will be present. If it changes, but I can hope it does.

To some extent, I think you can't really state your position with any certainty until you've been there yourself. :: shrug ::

mthrlangl said:
Actually, it is brought up. In fact, there's a pretty big stink about it right now. However, the law was supposedly written so that it didn't include abortion.

Now. For my $.02. I am personally very, very pro-life, and my son proves it. I was 19 when I got pregnant. I was in a horrible relationship with a man who'd stopped caring about me a long time ago. By myself, I didn't have the balls to leave him - don't ask why, because I'm not sure myself. But when I got pregnant, it was obvious that he didn't want either of us. Don't get me wrong, abortion crossed my mind. (As did throwing myself in front of a subway train.) But my god, how could I do that, especially looking at my son now? (The darling child who was just stabbing me with a foil sword. :: rolls eyes :: )

However. No matter my personal beliefs, I would vote pro-choice. My morals aren't your morals, and if you insist on killing your child/fetus, then you shouldn't have to do it in a back alley with a coat hanger. I think until society changes, abortion will be present. If it changes, but I can hope it does.

To some extent, I think you can't really state your position with any certainty until you've been there yourself. :: shrug ::
Okay, okay. I see where you are coming from. I am a boy, and will never, ever, have to worry about if a baby is going to be pushed out of me. I am merely stating my opinion ans saying that abortion is wrong. Sure, there are situations where, perhaps, the family cannot afford to support this child. This is where adoption, rather than abortion, comes into play. My best friend was adopted, and she would no longer exist for me, or anybody else, to know her if she would have been put through an abortion. Adoption is something those wanting an abortion should greatly consider.

mthrlangl

Clitpickle
Obviously, you can have a strong opinion on it. I'm just saying you don't really know for certain how you'd react until you're in the situation. (I'm very aware of the adoption option - I also considered that, but I couldn't bare for strangers to raise my child.)

On the flip side, though, how do you feel about abortion if there's rape involved? Or if the mother's life is in danger by being pregnant? Or if the child was going to be born with some horrible disease?

GottaHurt

Sexual Deviant
You make valid points mthrlangl but this part:

"Or if the child was going to be born with some horrible disease?"

Opens a whole new can of worms.I understand where you're coming from, but I'd hate to have a "select few" in our society determining "whose worthy or not" to live.

Skorch

Destroyer of worlds
My thoughts on this issue are, as much a proponent of women's rights and femenism I am, I can never bring myself to fully support abortion. I know the argument is it's the woman's body, but in my mind the fetus inside is someone else (i.e. someone else's body with it's own rights). I just can't convince myself that the fetus, at any point after conception, is not on some level alive and a separate human being, despite any lack of actual conciousness up to some indeterminate stage in the pregnancy. With that, as much as I'd want to support pro choice, I feel even if it is an uncertainty one should be gambling on the safe side, that being the one where you're not killing babies. The big argument that is always rolled out is, what about the ones with the birth defects? Unfortunately, I still think even these people have a right to live, even if it will be with a disadvantage, and even going against that, 95% of all abortions are of convenience. That's my opinion though, and about the most I can do is voice it.
On the other hand, I support official abortions in this current state because I'd rather it be done by proffesionals for the sake of the young stupid people that will attempt to have them anyway in some back alley with some shady character and a coathanger.

mthrlangl

Clitpickle
GottaHurt said:
You make valid points mthrlangl but this part:

"Or if the child was going to be born with some horrible disease?"

Opens a whole new can of worms.I understand where you're coming from, but I'd hate to have a "select few" in our society determining "whose worthy or not" to live.
I wasn't saying that I agree with the idea; I was just wondering what his reaction was to the question. My entire point is that I think it's very hard to steadfastly say that you're against abortion unless you've been faced with the choice at some point.

Skorch

Destroyer of worlds
mthrlangl said:
I wasn't saying that I agree with the idea; I was just wondering what his reaction was to the question. My entire point is that I think it's very hard to steadfastly say that you're against abortion unless you've been faced with the choice at some point.
That is also a very good point. It's very easy to say you're for or against this before you ever actually have to deal with it, but then when actually faced with the choice, I wonder how many people stick to their convictions.

GottaHurt

Sexual Deviant
mthrlangl said:
Oh you're spot on.My ex gave up her first born (adoption) because she wasn't
ready to be a parent.We have an 8 y/o daughter together, and you were right when you said you couldn't imagine aborting your son.I feel the same way everytime I even think about my daughter.

I was in a discussion a few years back and a person was saying "how abortion could be used to wipe out disease". That's the point I was going for.
Disease, as bad as this may sound, is really natures way of population control.We can only have so many habitants until the resources are no longer available to support us all.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
this debate has been great to read and everybody has respected each other's opinions, regardless of whether they agree or not. Kudos on this one guys, way to raise the bar when the topic becomes serious.

When does pro-life become too pro-life? Suppose, god forbid, that your brother rapes you and you become pregnant. that child will NOT be the next doctor or nobel lauriate or anything like that. It will be deformed and lack the necessary genetic tools to become a functioning adult. wouldnt abortion be GOOD for the entity in this case?

When does pro-choice become too pro-choice? It simply introduces a new birth control method that by all accounts is controversial. Women will be able to choose unprotected sex all they want since abortion is a viable birth control option.

Straddling the fence isn't usually considered good in a debate, but really, how can anyone be vehemently opposed to the other side?