WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Is is Iran next?

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
Monday 29.11.2004, CET 23:01

November 29, 2004 6:00 PM

U.S. may go it alone on Iran sanctions

By Louis Charbonneau and Francois Murphy

VIENNA (Reuters) - Iran has escaped U.N. censure over its nuclear programme but Washington, which accuses it of
seeking an atomic bomb, says it reserves the right to take the case to the Security Council on its own.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), a U.N. watchdog, passed a resolution approving Iran's week-old
suspension of sensitive nuclear activities as part of a deal with the European Union.

Crucially, and in line with Iranian demands, the resolution described the freeze as a voluntary, confidence-building measure
and not a legally binding commitment.

Its passage meant that Tehran, which denies it wants the bomb, had achieved its immediate goal: to prevent the IAEA from
referring it to the U.N. Security Council for possible economic sanctions.

"This resolution which was approved by the IAEA was a definite defeat for our enemies who wanted to pressure Iran by
sending its case to the U.N. Security Council," President Mohammad Khatami was quoted by state radio as saying on
Monday.

The United States believes Iran is playing games with the international community and wants to see it referred to the
Council. U.S. envoy Jackie Sanders told the IAEA's board of governors that Washington reserved the right to go it alone.

"Quite apart from the question of how this board chooses to handle these matters, of course, the United States reserves all
of its options with respect to Security Council consideration of the Iranian nuclear weapons programme," she said.

"Any member of the United Nations may bring to the attention of the Security Council any situation that might endanger the
maintenance of international peace and security."

Sanders also issued a stern warning to companies, including multinationals, against exporting weapons-related equipment
to Iran. The United States "will impose economic burdens on them and brand them as proliferators", she said.

DIPLOMATIC POKER

A spokesman for U.S. President George W. Bush said: "The implementation and verification of the agreement is critical."

"Iran has failed to comply with its commitments many times over the course of the past year and a half."

The developments capped five days of diplomatic poker over the terms of a deal Iran struck with the European Union this
month to suspend all activities relating to enriching uranium.

Iran had first raised new demands and then backed down again, at one point throwing the deal into doubt.

IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei said Iran had now withdrawn a request to be allowed to continue research on 20
enrichment centrifuges, and inspectors had on Monday installed surveillance cameras to monitor them.

"This is clearly a positive step in the right direction. It would help mitigate international concern about the nature of Iran's
programme, and over time should help to build confidence ... I call naturally on Iran to sustain that suspension," he told
reporters.

Centrifuges are devices that spin at supersonic speeds to enrich, or purify, uranium for use as fuel in nuclear reactors.
Highly enriched uranium can be used in an atom bomb, although Iran insists its aim is purely to generate electricity.

DIPLOMATS EXASPERATED

Iran insists it has a "sovereign right" to enrich uranium and is only suspending such work to assure the world of its peaceful
intentions.

In Tehran, some 500 members of a conservative volunteer militia pelted the British embassy with stones and firecrackers
on Monday, protesting that the Iran-EU deal was a sellout.

Protesters from the basij militia, mainly black-bearded men, burned a British flag and tried to charge the embassy gates
but were pushed back by a cordon of some 100 riot police.

"Nuclear energy is our right," the protesters shouted.

At the IAEA in Vienna, there were signs of mounting exasperation from Western diplomats over Iranian tactics.

Several told Reuters that Iran had only promised not to test the centrifuges until December 15, when the EU and Iran meet
to discuss a long-term nuclear deal.

Those talks will focus on trade cooperation and peaceful nuclear technology that the Europeans are willing to offer Tehran if
it gives up uranium enrichment for good.

Reuters
It begs the question, "Are we willing to go to war over this?".
God help us, I sure hope not.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
Diplomats say Iran agrees to enrichment freeze; Tehran official seems to differ
05:10 PM EST Nov 29
VIENNA, Austria (AP) - A senior Iranian official appeared to cast doubt Monday on his country's latest commitment to a total suspension of nuclear activities capable of producing weapons-grade uranium, saying his country had not gone beyond agreeing not to test centrifuges that are part of the program.

Hossein Mousavian's spoke before the UN atomic watchdog agency's board passed a resolution on how to police the freeze, in an effort to defuse a dispute that had threatened to go to the UN Security Council.

Diplomats from the European Union and elsewhere said the Iranian commitment - sent by letter to the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna on Sunday - fulfilled demands that Tehran include centrifuges in its total suspension of uranium-enrichment programs.

But Mousavian, the chief Iranian delegate to the meeting, suggested otherwise, telling reporters as the meeting was to reconvene: "We (only) said there would be no testing.

"Definitely we are not going to introduce material or any gas," into the centrifuges, he added, declining to answer if Iran's understanding of a freeze match that of demands that the devices be left at a complete standstill.

© The Canadian Press, 2004

And a follow up...

</rant>

Tenderony
gurlgonewild said:
U.S. may go it alone on Iran sanctions
I got that far. Hope our dumb as fuck government don't tag along like last time. Bush getting involved with Ireland as well. WHAT THE FUCK?

How can anyone trust someone with eyes that close together? Let alone give him a presidency. Twice.

</rant>

</rant>

Tenderony
Off topic, that link in your sig about sex and the first letter of your name was spot on for me. No shit.

Anyone else?

</rant>

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
</rant> said:
How can anyone trust someone with eyes that close together?
Well, at least he only has to wear one goggle when he goes swimming in HIS POOL!!

Heh, anyway, I am not shocked to see this. Bush and his retarded fucking cabinet (Thats right, fucking retarded now that Powell is gone. He was the only saving grace.) will not get a damn thing right from now until 2008. the democrats are to blame, because they are even more retarded then the republicans. When the youth movement of the nation leans liberal, by a vast majority in my opinion, and the democrats cant capitalize on that... especially against a man as incompetant as Bush... it's just sad.

</rant>

Tenderony
tbsrk said:
Well, at least he only has to wear one goggle when he goes swimming in HIS POOL!!

Heh, anyway, I am not shocked to see this. Bush and his retarded fucking cabinet (Thats right, fucking retarded now that Powell is gone. He was the only saving grace.) will not get a damn thing right from now until 2008. the democrats are to blame, because they are even more retarded then the republicans. When the youth movement of the nation leans liberal, by a vast majority in my opinion, and the democrats cant capitalize on that... especially against a man as incompetant as Bush... it's just sad.
At least Powell had the decency to leave him to it. Even though he's called Kowliiin. It's Colin for fucks sake.

</rant>

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
emm... ive always said colin.. not quite sure how to spell it phonetically (sp?) without it looking like i have a boston accent... cahlin. eh, nevermind.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
</rant> said:
Off topic, that link in your sig about sex and the first letter of your name was spot on for me. No shit.

Anyone else?

</rant>

I hate the FCCAbout that sex thing it was right for me too.
lol. 2ff
shall i begin a new thread just for the sex link? maybe i should so this one won't get jacked.
i thought it was pretty cool too because of its accuracy.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
hmm. Havent I heard this before.. US wars against Iraq and Iran.. A Vicious circle? Guess you guys´ll be back in Vietnam byt next fall... You have the same enemies as in the past, just the EXCUSES for war have changed...

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
ive always preached isolationism... to an extent. I mean, yes, as the most powerful nation in the world (im not gloating at all, simply stating a fact) we do have an obligation to be involved in world proceedings. But I don't like a single thing we've been doing oversees since Woodrow Wilson, and he was a weak man who was not respected by many European leaders. Whatever, he was better then JFK who nearly sparked the apocolypse, Bush Sr for being the first to stick his dirty finger in the middle east for oil, and Bush Jr for making it his crusade. Eisenhower, Truman, FDR... maybe bright guys but stupid in foriegn affairs.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
UPDATE:
Recent discussions regarding Iran bring about the question,
"We are thinly spread (militarily, money wise, etc), do these limitations negatively and severely impact our ultimate influence? To the point where we are powerless?"

Lets take Iran for example. They and the EU are making whatever deals they want with eachother without considering the IAEA or the USA's concerns. (And that's ok, but....)
Had we not voluntarily lessened our capailbities yesterday, would Iran and the EU be more receptive and cooperative today? And what then happens tomorrow when.... X happens? In other words did we bet on the wrong horse with all our money?
Also, does this diminishment cause a cry for war; to reiterate we still got it in the USA gov't?

Remember folks, Iran has hated us since the end of WWII for what we did to them.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
gurlgonewild said:
Remember folks, Iran has hated us since the end of WWII for what we did to them.
What goes around comes around... I guess we all better watch out and move to CANADA!!

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
why would Iran not have the right to develop nuclear weapons? india and pakistan has them. This is all science's fault. Damn Einstein, E=MC2 fucked up the world.

sexletters said:
N- You have a natural lack of satisfactory performance in the bedroom and tend to blame error on others.
***Personally, I think the author, "K" had a bad experience with someone named "N".
I'm N. Not accurate for me! Or.. I hope so, hehe ;)

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
Rage against said:
why would Iran not have the right to develop nuclear weapons? india and pakistan has them. This is all science's fault. Damn Einstein, E=MC2 fucked up the world.

I'm N. Not accurate for me! Or.. I hope so, hehe ;)
because the USA is afraid they'll use it against us. poor Einstein gets blamed for everything! leave him alone, you cannot kick a dead man anymore. lol

I know! I was so disappointed that K and N wasn't included because I know a few people and wanted to compare. Damnit you get to make your own sexual identity up, how's that???!:cool:

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
gurlgonewild said:
because the USA is afraid they'll use it against us. poor Einstein gets blamed for everything! leave him alone, you cannot kick a dead man anymore. lol
It's not the science, but the way it's used. :thumbsup:

gurlgonewild said:
I know! I was so disappointed that K and N wasn't included because I know a few people and wanted to compare. Damnit you get to make your own sexual identity up, how's that???!:cool:
Want to compare a big M ?

Gotta love these hyperthreading topics.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
eh? what Max? did you look up your initial at the link in my sig? ...and, and??

what's the verdict Mr. LI?