WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Is it really the "Gateway Drug"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Marijuana really the gateway drug?

I believe it takes strong will not to continue "trying" drugs. Alotta people I know dont smoke the stuff (more power to you). The others do, and the group is almost split at half. Some continued drug use, others didnt.

Basically, depending on the individual, I believe Marijuana can be the "Gateway Drug"

Post 'Em

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
Depending on the individual. i don't think someone who knows the risks of drugs in advance and knows where to draw the line before they try anything wouldn't have pot be a gateway drug.

Skorch

Destroyer of worlds
I think the whole gateway drug has been played down a little in recent years. Now they're calling it that because buying weed puts you in touch with drug dealers and other sorts of people who will try to get you to do harder stuff. But I don't think they're still trying to claim that doing weed will directly lead to doing crack rocks cut with ether or anything like that. I dunno though. Been a while since I've seen any anti-drug propoganda.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
While I can't speak for others ... I can speak from experience. Weed was the first thing I ever tried (unless you want to count alcohol) which led to LSD .... then a hot chick (that I later married) fed me my first roll, swore I would never blow anything, eventually blew crushed pills, which led to K, which eventually led to Meth ... said I would NEVER smoke meth, cause thats just dumb, I eventually smoked meth of course ... but then I quit all that and back to weed, then quit that to.

So for me, weed was my gateway, and my exit. Interestingly enough, I rarly drink anymore either.

Jung

???
Premium
^Lol, dirty raver :crybaby:

I don't think you can say marijuana is a "gateway drug" any more than you can say guns lead to murder. I think it would be fair to say; most people who end up smoking marijuana, started with cigarettes or alcohol. Both are classified as drugs, so why wouldn't they be "gateway" drugs as well? Would it be fair to assume that cigarete smokers are more likely to smoke marijuana? Honestly, I don't think so. I think the extent of most people's experimentation lies in the company they keep, rather than the first illegal drug they do. I've been through college and the club scene; alcohol and marijuana were the first drugs I tried and are the only two that I still do. The harder drugs i chose to experiment with were more directly linked to friends, and the situations in which they took place. Like Skorch said, I think the "gateway" drug bit is just an old anti drug slogan that's wron off, likely from lack of evidence.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
junglizm said:
^Lol, dirty raver :crybaby:

Takes one to know one, lol .... anyway, I prefer "party kid" ravers go home after 4am, plus "raver" implies "candyraver" *shivers* hate those fuckers... :p

Jung

???
Premium
breakology said:
Takes one to know one, lol .... anyway, I prefer "party kid" ravers go home after 4am, plus "raver" implies "candyraver" *shivers* hate those fuckers... :p
Nah, I never was a big party kid or raver. I was the preppy kid that went occasionally, that everone thought was a cop. I play at parties still, but I rarely go just for fun, it's not my scene, never really has been. I like the music and the people in it for the music, I really don't care about all the raver kids. Even when I used to party, the clubs were more my scene.

otepsoul

Bringer of Bees
daman2424 said:
Is Marijuana really the gateway drug?

I believe it takes strong will not to continue "trying" drugs. Alotta people I know dont smoke the stuff (more power to you). The others do, and the group is almost split at half. Some continued drug use, others didnt.

Basically, depending on the individual, I believe Marijuana can be the "Gateway Drug"

Post 'Em
nah its not

breakology

Kiss my Converse
junglizm said:
Nah, I never was a big party kid or raver. I was the preppy kid that went occasionally, that everone thought was a cop. I play at parties still, but I rarely go just for fun, it's not my scene, never really has been. I like the music and the people in it for the music, I really don't care about all the raver kids. Even when I used to party, the clubs were more my scene.
aahhh, you were a "twighliter" .... lol ... thats pretty much how I was in Florida, then when I moved to cleveland and met my wife (the original party kid, lol) I got sucked in for a while. I don't regret it though, I had a lot of good times back then.

breakology said:
While I can't speak for others ... I can speak from experience. Weed was the first thing I ever tried (unless you want to count alcohol) which led to LSD .... then a hot chick (that I later married) fed me my first roll, swore I would never blow anything, eventually blew crushed pills, which led to K, which eventually led to Meth ... said I would NEVER smoke meth, cause thats just dumb, I eventually smoked meth of course ... but then I quit all that and back to weed, then quit that to.

So for me, weed was my gateway, and my exit. Interestingly enough, I rarly drink anymore either.
Hey man, weed was mine too... i went from weed to coke to xanax to LSD, Shrooms and back to weed. kinda a mixture of all at different times.

It was my gateway and my exit too... Stay Away...Just Burn Playa

Once Was

Status
Not open for further replies.