WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Is my hard drive dying?

Descent

Hella Constipated
It's starting to get REALLY loud, but it works at full speed.

It's a Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM/8MB HD, but it sounds like my bro's Maxtor of the same specs.

Diesel

Clitpickle
Descent with another hardware problem? Whoda thunk it?!?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Dan said:
Descent with another hardware problem? Whoda thunk it?!?
I hardly think random hard drive failure counts, especially when it's a WD :rolleyes: .

Diesel

Clitpickle
I hardly think with you, any hardware problem is random. :p

Anyway, if it's a WD drive, download their Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tools, boot with the disc, and let it run through the tests. If it's dying, it'll let you know, and give you a code to process an RMA.

Jung

???
Premium
Just a suggestion, if indeed it is dying. Copy your data off immediately, but access little as possible; don't run any extra scandisks, checkdisks etc on it. Alos, if it actually dies, you might be able to do the freezer thing and recover the rest of your data.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Freezer?

My father gets home today, I'll use his Maxtor OneTouch to back my shit up.

P.S.: Diesel, your true persona shows outside of AlienSoup, and I find it a bit disturbing. Being nice is a good thing!

Diesel

Clitpickle
Descent said:
Do a google for "hard drive freezer", and most of the first page will turn out relevant links. Basically, freezing your hard drive for a while might help you get enough life out of it, temporarily, to copy your data off.
Read the links and you'll understand.

P.S.: Diesel, your true persona shows outside of AlienSoup, and I find it a bit disturbing. Being nice is a good thing!
I'm always a nice guy, and willing to help out whenever asked.
However, my assistance comes with the caveat that I'm going to call 'bullshit' when I see it. That goes for bad advice, misinformation, or just plain stupidity.

I may be a ballbuster, but I'm never hesitant to share what I know. But my help comes tied with brutal honesty. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's free, so you don't really have a right to complain about it. :p

Descent

Hella Constipated
Hehe. Awww, it's okay buddy. I didn't know you were joking. You're a really nice guy on AlienSoup.

Diesel

Clitpickle
I'm a nice guy here too. You just gotta stop saying stupid shit to be able to see it. ;)

Descent

Hella Constipated
*Zips lips, for everything Diesel considers stupid besides Chaintech.*

;).

Hellbreather

Shhh, Im hiding
Id ont know if anyone has mentioend this already but my Hard Drive makes a LOUD noise when it gets full. also maybe a random question but how cold is your room?

Maybe consider buying a second HDD as a back-up

I'd say if you HDD isn't full and your room isn't too cold, then you HDD is gonna die soon so buy Norton Ghost and a second HDD and back up al ya data

Descent

Hella Constipated
It's working fine now. Pretty odd...It's been A-1 SUPAR! for a week or two.

I guess I had a thin ass USB header cable or something on top of it that created some nasty resonance.