WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Is there any need for a faucet aerator to contain 2-3 screens instead of 1?

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
Any plumbing experts out there? :)

I was cleaning out both my master bathroom faucet aerators, and noticed that each one of them (they're fairly old) contains 3 metal/mesh screens in them (they are all just grouped together - completely identical).. I cleaned them all and put it all back together and its working OK, but I was wondering if there was any reason why each of the 2 faucets have 3 screens in them? Is that necessary (would it lower the water flow?), should I use one (and they just CAME with 3 to give you spares)? Would 3 lower the water flow? Hmm!

Thanks guys. ;)

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Aerators simply conserve water. Yes, 3 screens block more water than 1. Fill up a glass with screens removed and then replaced. Should take longer with more screens.

They, like shower heads, usually have their flow rating stamped on the outside rim.

Jason

Founder
Aerators simply conserve water. Yes, 3 screens block more water than 1. Fill up a glass with screens removed and then replaced. Should take longer with more screens.

They, like shower heads, usually have their flow rating stamped on the outside rim.
Yeah there is a flow rate on the faucets (I will double check what the number is, 1.6 or 1.2 or something), but to gain that number do they just add more screens? Or some other way of limiting the flow?

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Yeah there is a flow rate on the faucets (I will double check what the number is, 1.6 or 1.2 or something), but to gain that number do they just add more screens? Or some other way of limiting the flow?
Some (most I have seen) have a plastic diverter thingy inside that does the bulk of flow limiting, with a screen on the outside that probably also limits stuff going back up in the faucet.

Jason

Founder
Some (most I have seen) have a plastic diverter thingy inside that does the bulk of flow limiting, with a screen on the outside that probably also limits stuff going back up in the faucet.
Yeah I have 3 of those screens which I've never heard of or seen before... lol

Scooter

Roll me up and smoke me when I die.
It's so there's still a screen in the faucet when your kid sneaks one out for his pot pipe.

Not an expert, but we recently renovated both bathrooms and the new faucets came with a grand total of 1 screen apiece. Has to be just a preference thing.

Jason

Founder
Not an expert, but we recently renovated both bathrooms and the new faucets came with a grand total of 1 screen apiece. Has to be just a preference thing.
Appears the two I have in the master haven't been updated for a while, so they're still 2.2 or whatever.. So I'm guessing having 3 thin screens in there instead of 1 isn't doing much because water comes out a ton.. I'll be updating them eventually to lose less water, everything else in the house is at 1.2 I think.

CoprophagousCop

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium
I was cleaning out both my master bathroom faucet aerators, and noticed that each one of them (they're fairly old) contains 3 metal/mesh screens in them (they are all just grouped together - completely identical)..
It just sounds like the kid who made your faucets messed up and put in three screens instead of one.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
The extra screens are for the kids to take out and smoke weed with them. Educational shit or something.