WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Is this worth what their asking?

swizeguy

How dare you!?
Found a laptop im thinking about getting. I cant afford much but i want to get the most outta what i spend.
Its an "ICpower 15" Laptop, 1.6 GHz Mobile AMD Sempron 2600+"
Processor
AMD Mobile Sempron 2600+
Memory
256MB DDR SDRAM
Audio codec
VIA 1612A
Digital SPDIF output
18-bit stereo full-duplex codec with independent and variable sampling rate
4 analog line-level stereo inputs with 5 bit volume control:LINE_IN,CD,VIDEO,AUX
Hard Drive
40 GB HDD
Optical Device
Combo Drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM)
Point Device
SYNAPTICS
PS/2 Touch Pad with 2 buttons (W/ scroll up/ down)
Fast Ethernet
Realtek 8201Cl
Supports 10 and 100 Mb/Sec. Full and half Duplex operation
LCD
15" LCD panel
Display type: XGA (1024x 768)
IEEE 1394 - TI TSB43AB22
PCI V2.2 MAC/BIU supports
Wireless LAN - Mini PCI
IEEE 802.11b/g 54Mbps
Battery
Li-ion Smart Battery with BQ-2060 Gas Gauge IC
6Cells, 10.8V/4400mA (3S2P), 3.6V/2200mAH/Cell
AC-DC Adapter
Li-Shin/Lite-On
65Watts/ 20VDC, automatics Voltage adjustment between 100 and 240VAC, 50/60Hz (For 25w CPU)
Core Logic
NB SiS M760, SB SiS 963L
Supports AMD Athlon 64
Support DDR 333/ 400 SDRAM, up to 1.0GB total
Supports AGP 8X/4X Interface w/ Fast Write Transaction
MuTIOL 1G delivering 1GB/s bandwidth, bi-directional 16-bit data bus at 533MHz operating frequency
Integrated Ultra256 2D/3D Graphics, Built-in a High Performance 256-bit 3D Engine and DirectX 8.1 Compliant
Integrated Multi-threaded I/O link of upstream/down stream data transfer with 1.2GB/s bandwidth, PIO mode0,1,2,3,4 and Ultra DMA33/66/100/133
Two Independent OHCI USB 1.1 Host Controllers and One EHCI USB 2.0 Host Controller, support total 6 USB 2.0/1.1 Ports, high-speed device @480 Mb/s transfer rates, integrated Fast Ethernet MAC controller, Audio/Modem, Dual IDE Master mode controllers
they're asking $598.xx

that's a pretty good deal, but it depends on what you plan to do with it. I have a sempron also, but it's 3100+

make sure to try dell also, cause their laptops are pretty cheap.

oh, and *They're :p

Descent

Hella Constipated
swizeguy said:
Found a laptop im thinking about getting. I cant afford much but i want to get the most outta what i spend.
Its an "ICpower 15" Laptop, 1.6 GHz Mobile AMD Sempron 2600+"

they're asking $598.xx
The video on that rig is only a tad slower than a GeForce2 MX400, and if you want 3fps gameplay then go for it. The SiS 315E is a piece of shit.

But, other than that you're getting a good deal.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
Descent said:
The video on that rig is only a tad slower than a GeForce2 MX400, and if you want 3fps gameplay then go for it. The SiS 315E is a piece of shit.

But, other than that you're getting a good deal.
So i take it no playing "Doom 3" on it but it would be able to play some alright games right?

bnccoder

Postaholic
You really need at least 512 RAM for running XP you can do it with less, but the preformance is reduced. The computer would be ok for gaming if you had more.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
bnccoder said:
Yes, that model will hold up to a GIG of RAM.
Is it an easy thing to add in RAM on a laptop like that one?
Ive done it on desktops but never on a laptop.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
swizeguy said:
So i take it no playing "Doom 3" on it but it would be able to play some alright games right?
Nope. Do not plan on playing any games, unless you consider Flash-style games. It has performance equivalent to video cards from 5 years ago. It's rather abysmal.

bnccoder

Postaholic
I've never added it to laptops either, I know it can be done though.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
BRiT said:
Nope. Do not plan on playing any games, unless you consider Flash-style games. It has performance equivalent to video cards from 5 years ago. It's rather abysmal.
haha thats nice.... hmm

Alright thanks for your imput guys :thumbsup:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
swizeguy said:
Is it an easy thing to add in RAM on a laptop like that one?
Ive done it on desktops but never on a laptop.
Generally it's pretty simple to add RAM. Not having worked on that line of laptops I can't speak with first hand knowledge but most laptop makers put their RAM in a fairly accessible place as it’s a common upgrade.

RAM modules for laptops are different from the stuff in your PC and install differently but it’s not usually a big trick.

In every case I can remember dealing with I used a screw driver to open a little door on the bottom of the laptop and then added a RAM module. To add it you usually put the module in the slot at an angle and once you’ve got it lined up you press down to lock it in place. A lot like the very old SIMMs you’d find in the 386 or 486 systems.

It's not a bad price for a laptop but like everyone said, the video sucks and that you can't upgrade.

Descent

Hella Constipated
swizeguy said:
Doom 3 won't even run - the integrated version of the SiS 315E, which they market as "SiS REAL 256E" graphics lacks hardware T&L, but the retail cards had it.

It won't run anything newer than Source engine based games. I know because I have gotten HL2:DM to run on my TNT2 Pro, which lacks hardware T&L. But any other next-gen engines will no longer support it.

On a side note, my TNT2 ran it QUITE nicely - 30-60fps because the CPU offloaded everything. That was after 15 minutes of tweaking. Also, the core was overclocked to 166, as well as the RAM, but it had graphical anomalies due to it being a DX6 class card. The 315E is a DX7 class - it should run it stripped down to fuck without the TNT2 anomalies. Last time I checked the 315 line had amazing drivers - even the prerelease betas were great. It was one of SiS' few really great products when it was out.

But even a GF4 MX kicks that thing's ass.

UberSkippy said:
Generally it's pretty simple to add RAM. Not having worked on that line of laptops I can't speak with first hand knowledge but most laptop makers put their RAM in a fairly accessible place as it’s a common upgrade.

RAM modules for laptops are different from the stuff in your PC and install differently but it’s not usually a big trick.

In every case I can remember dealing with I used a screw driver to open a little door on the bottom of the laptop and then added a RAM module. To add it you usually put the module in the slot at an angle and once you’ve got it lined up you press down to lock it in place. A lot like the very old SIMMs you’d find in the 386 or 486 systems.

It's not a bad price for a laptop but like everyone said, the video sucks and that you can't upgrade.
Yeah, I just upgraded my IBM Thinkpad 600E to 288MB of RAM for free and it was really easy. It's maxed out now.