WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Is Windows MCE worth it?

Jung

???
Premium
I've been using MythTV for my (Linux) HTPC, but I'm thinking of switching over to Windows. I've been looking at getting either Sage TV, Beyond TV or Windows Media Center Edition. My deal is, I already own a copy of XP Pro, and MCE is just XP Pro with the MCE applications and front end. So I'm wondering if anyone has MCE, and if it's worth the ~$150 it sells for.

I'm also open to suggestion for other HTPC software, as well as Windows compatible HD tuner cards. (Sadly my pcHDTV card only works in Linux.)

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I don't have it but we tested devices that use it in my last job. To be honest no, I don't think it's worth it. There's an annoying front end that you use to access different aspects of the software. It's almost like a GUI based BIOS menu to be honest.

It did however do a nice job recording TV programs and was fairly efficient about it. I don't remember how much recording time we had but it was substantial on a 300GB drive with the highest settings.

Jung

???
Premium
Well, if anyone cares, I decided not to go with MCE for a number of reasons. The most notable one being that Microsoft doesn't think people who pay $150 for their HTPC software should be able to watch HDTV broadcasts from analog or digital cable sources - they only support over-the-air HD. :rolleyes: Since I have digital cable their broken HDTV support is completely worthless to me. (Not to mention that I can only imagine how crappy OTA HD would be.) I'm going to try with Sage or Beyond TV.

Also, if anyone is interested I decided to go with the MyHD 130 HDTV capture card.