WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

ITT show us your desktop

Jung

???
Premium
i took these screenshots for a desktop thread on another forum, so i figured i'd start a desktop thread here. so show us your desktops:)

click thumbnails to see full size.

debian:

xp pro:

side note: today is my day off(so why the fuck am i up so early?) which means i get to work from home today.:rolleyes:

tzedek

Original Member
yep thats the one on my laptop... dont have one on my desktop.. oh well...

Jung

???
Premium
woah, nice way to break the forum tables:) jk i was wondering about the desktop ie screenshot, not just the wallpaper, but close enough.

Descent

Hella Constipated

I've been reverse engineering the living fuck out of FreeSpace lately.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
I've been reverse engineering the living fuck out of FreeSpace lately.
So you set a screen cap of the game as your wallpaper, and that's reverse engineering?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Lol...

No, I have all the modding utilities on my desktop. Descent Manager VPVIEW32, VPPBUILDER32, VBMVIEWER32, FRED, FRED 2, etc.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
Lol...

No, I have all the modding utilities on my desktop. Descent Manager VPVIEW32, VPPBUILDER32, VBMVIEWER32, FRED, FRED 2, etc.
So you're not actually reverse engineering anything, are you. If you're just using someone else's software, you're not 'engineering' anything.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Actually, I've also been coding various .TBL files and hacking out ship capabilities.

I've almost gotten the Shivan ships to be playable in FS2 :D! They were originally designed to be computer controlled.

Junglizm said:
So you're not actually reverse engineering anything, are you. If you're just using someone else's software, you're not 'engineering' anything.
I think you should seriously learn about a game's engine and scripting structure before you start bashing the guy working on it. FreeSpace 1 & 2 have a very simplistic, down to Earth structure, but it does take some practice.

It's no Half-Life, but it's still hacking. Heiko Hermann's Descent Manager tools are the only ones around for extracting shit from Volition Package (.vp, .vpp) files.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
What this thread needs now is one of those really bright lights shining in Descent's eyes. And an all metal table with card table chairs.

Descent

Hella Constipated
BWM said:
What this thread needs now is one of those really bright lights shining in Descent's eyes. And an all metal table with card table chairs.
Yeah, I have no clue why, but this doesn't feel right...

Junglizm, don't start heckling me for "not reverse engineering" when you don't know the structure of the game engine.

With FreeSpace/Red Faction, game files are stored in big, non-compressed archives called *.vp/*.vpp files.

You need third-party software to extract it, and then you can take it from there.

For mission building, the official FRED editior is the only one around.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Descent said:
Yeah, I have no clue why, but this doesn't feel right...

Junglizm, don't start heckling me for "not reverse engineering" when you don't know the structure of the game engine.

With FreeSpace/Red Faction, game files are stored in big, non-compressed archives called *.vp/*.vpp files.

You need third-party software to extract it, and then you can take it from there.

For mission building, the official FRED editior is the only one around.
It's a defense like that, that's going to get you fried.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
Actually, I've also been coding various .TBL files and hacking out ship capabilities.
Ok, fair enough. Just out of curiosity though, what language is it?
I think you should seriously learn about a game's engine and scripting structure before you start bashing the guy working on it. FreeSpace 1 & 2 have a very simplistic, down to Earth structure, but it does take some practice.
I seriously don't care about Freespace's engine or scripting. It's something I'll never touch, but I'm sure you can understand why people would be confused by your use of the term "reverse engineering."

Anyway, not to troll this thread. Lets get back on topic now.

Fresh install of XP Pro. I just reinstalled it yesterday, after about 4 years of running the same install.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
Ok, fair enough. Just out of curiosity though, what language is it?
It's a custom FreeSpace coding language called Sexpressions (Yes, with the "S" in front).

Anyway, here's my new desktop: