WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

I've been wanting to go back to my gaming roots for two years now - And I just can't.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Lately, I've been wanting to relive the DOS days. Doom, Descent, Wolenstein 3D, Blake Stone, Jazz Jackrabbit, and other titles were crying to me:

"JIMMY! PLAY ME! PLEASE!"

But to really get a feel for those old days, I needed to HAVE the feeling of the old days in front of me.

Windows 3.1. A Compaq ProLinea. PC-DOS. A Retro Compaq keyboard and mouse.

I wanted to fucking relive my 90's glory. The problem was - the hardware is GONE. All my memories of those glory days on those antiquated boxes has vanished - eBay has dried up. 100%.

No Prolineas. All they had was a Pentium 150 - I need a 486. It's nowhere near the same.

I came up with the idea of replicating my Pre-'99 gaming world - the Sega Genesis, the N64, and a Dell Dimension P75t machine in one room. All of my gaming past times revived.

But there are no old Dells. I'm heartbroken.

It's a shame that nobody bothers selling old hardware anymore - It's just...thrown away. If there was one of those two machine models I wanted left on the planet - I would pay top dollar. Memories are priceless.

Of course, now it looks like there are none left. And I'm feeling really down at the moment.

It's one of those things you gotta have...A thing you could find easily two years ago. A posession you grew up with. And it's one that is completely gone.

I am fucking pissed at myself for not buying a ProLinea two years ago. I seriously want to bring some memories back. And no matter how hard I try, I can't. It's all gotta be there.

I'm going to go search for other retro machines I've liked - wish me luck.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
the age of the old school has died... our time is over.. it seems the SexBox and LameCube are the shit now... we're awaiting a new techno eveolution... prolly some kind of virtual reality or opium powered pong... fuck I dunno.. but its comming

Jung

???
Premium
What, no Commander Keen? Dude, you lose.

Noob

Banned - What an Asshat!
You're name is Jimmy.

:rotflmao:

The only game I can seem to play is solitare.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Fuck it. I bailed. I decided to take it upon myself to create the world's best retro rig:

Think the Kohler commercial where the woman says "Design a home around this (Takes out a faucet)."

All I need is the case and CPU fan.

I'm designing a PC around this:

http://ramplus.com/ks16mitoatca.html
You can all eat my shit. I'm going to make my room a 90's culture haven. I already have a Sonic and Knuckles prop up from a REAL game store on my wall. Best decor ever.

Still, this is NOTHING like the retromania I wanted...But it will have to suffice. I just got $40 and need some remodeling...Gonna get some Nirvana and old school Genesis posters, and a few big-ass random 90's posters...Beavis and Butthead perhaps.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Wow, the Sonic community really fagged up! Everyone seems to LOVE the new 3D horseshit pile games!

What ever happened to the 2D players, like me? Does nobody remember the thrill of blowing up the Death Egg in Sonic & Knuckles? Hell, even melting down Launch Base zone in Sonic 3 was great!

Fucking eight year olds :thumbsdn:.

Sektor

Particinator
I play the 2D Sonic all the time. Fuck the 3D bullshit.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
Wow, the Sonic community really fagged up! Everyone seems to LOVE the new 3D horseshit pile games!
So you didn't like Sonic CD? Those 3d special levels were awesome for their time.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Darklight said:
we're awaiting a new techno eveolution... prolly some kind of virtual reality or opium powered pong...
Yeah! Bring it! Opium Powered Pong... sound even better than pot powered Mario.

Zickddot

Banned - What an Asshat!
commander keen was gawdness

atleast people still play asteraoids, thats most deffinently #1 out of ALLL video games

it beats WoW even

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
So you didn't like Sonic CD? Those 3d special levels were awesome for their time.
Oh my God...I LOVED Sonic CD. Best 2D Sonic game ever!

The 3D levels were sprite based, by the way. If I'm not mistaken, the Sega CD added in some new hardware effects, much like the SNES' Mode 7 sprite coding feature - you could rotate the playing field 180 degrees around the player.

Of course, you also need the "Sega Mushroom" for two games: Knuckles Chaotix and Virtua Racing Deluxe (Best racing game ever next to Road Rash 3 IMO).

Oh, and don't forget the Power Base Converter, and a rare copy of OutRun 2019!

I still need my very own Sega CD, I have the version of Sonic CD that never runs on 2K or above.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
Zickddot said:
commander keen was gawdness

atleast people still play asteraoids, thats most deffinently #1 out of ALLL video games

it beats WoW even

Wow sucks.

Cutter

College Punk
man i sat in my dads lap to play Wolfenstein, then came Wolfenstein 3d Spear of destiny that was the greatest sequel EVER!!!!. damn now i wanna bust out my old flopys and dig out my old packard bell. The good ole days are gone i guess.

Goatstack

You just keep on typing..
The only oldschool games I miss are Lemmings and Tetris.

I seriously have an addiction to that block dropping game :(

I cant get enough of those old games. My 100% favourite DOS game of all time has got to be Descent. Used to play it day and night for weeks on end. I find it a real shame i never had the chance to progress to Descent II and III. Precious memories with my Sonic and Knuckles collectors edition cd's, One my all time favourite games. Commander Keen was legendary. How can you people forget Halloween Harry? Wolfenstein 3d. Duke Nukem. Jill of the jungle i remember as well. Doom. Quake. Heretic. Hexen. Hocus Pocus was another fav. PAC MAN!.

Descent

Hella Constipated
[SUBLIMINAL]I've got a copy of Descent II ;).[/SUBLIMINAL]

Dude, Descent fucking kicks the shit out of ANY id Software title ever. It's only a two way tie with Doom because of Doom's certain aspects of violence.

Descent is the most fun I've ever had playing a game, hands down. The Level 7 boss was my tormentor for five years. Then he became my bitch.

The first seven levels are great - ableit easy. Levels eight and above? A non-Descent veteran will get creamed. Level 12 is the hardest level I've ever played in my life, but it's not frustrating. I absolutely LOVE the central pillar they trick you into going into...When it's totally redundant, and filled with the most dangerous robots around.

Level 23 is also amazing - The caged pathways that expose you to lethal robots as well as the most lethal non-boss enemy ever - the purple Miniboss, at the most critical parts of the level.

The Miniboss is a fucking beast - It's a miniature Level 7 boss, except purple, and it has fusion cannons as opposed to smart missle launchers. What really freaks you out is it's cry - The only talking bot. As soon as you hear that distorted voice:

"AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH DESTRUCTION!"

You're fucked! They are a bitch to take out - two Smart missles does it. Lasers and Plasma cannons take to long, by then you're dead.

Every shot takes away c. 50-80 shield - and your ship carries 200 max. They can also shoot once every 12 seconds, and they hunt in packs.

Man, that game had amazing AI. It truly was a masterpiece that never got enough recognition. Very popular game, though.

Little known fact: Descent I has three secret levels. They are located in Level 10, Level 21, and Level 24. I know where they all are, btw ;). If you see a room with bright blue 60's style patterns, you found it!

They are the most demented, weird, mentally insane looking levels I've seen in my whole life, especially the last one. They are also death traps - but death traps filled with Mega Missle goodness ;).