WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

I've got a virus

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
6,775
251
118
#1
Alright, so my friend is over at my house. We were on the computer, and something came up asking him to download a file. He clicked "yes" before I could do anything.

Now I can't open up my task manager (it opens for a split-second when I press control + alt +delete, and then closes instantly), it puts my Away Message up every 30 seconds on AIM (with a link to the place where the virus is, which is how we got it in the first place), and I know for a fact I'm being keylogged.

I ran a system search for files created today, but I don't know what to look for.

Could anybody please try to walk me through fixing this?
 

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
6,775
251
118
#4
Shurikane said:
Buy an anti virus...? -_-
If I were going to renew Norton, I'd have to enter credit card information... which would be bad since I'm being keylogged.
 

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
250
0
0
#5
Get Corporate Edition. Doesn't need renewals, ever. In fact, I have it in a nice tidy package you could burn onto a CD. Want it?
 

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
6,775
251
118
#7
How big is the filesize?

My friend's AIM is Montage1989. You can talk to us there, if you like.

Edit://
Thanks Broken. I'm doing it righ now.
 

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
3,891
0
0
#8
NoSubstance said:
How big is the filesize?

My friend's AIM is Montage1989. You can talk to us there, if you like.

Edit://
Thanks Broken. I'm doing it righ now.
From the link Click "go" the Start Virus detection.
 

RGN-dRaGoN

Chaos Dragon
465
0
0
#9
how bad is the virus? there different solutions to different viruses, if it is a minor virus u should be able to set ur computer back using system restore to a date b4 this happend
 

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
6,775
251
118
#10
You obviously didn't read what I posted.

Thanks.
 

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
3,891
0
0
#11
RGN-dRaGoN said:
how bad is the virus? there different solutions to different viruses, if it is a minor virus u should be able to set ur computer back using system restore to a date b4 this happend
Let's make sure there is a virus before we start developing methods of removal.
 

RGN-dRaGoN

Chaos Dragon
465
0
0
#12
u said something about system search, but not about system restore.. did u try that yet? or u dont have windows XP?

PS: yea i did read it
 

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
6,775
251
118
#14
I'm fairly sure that it's some form of virii/trojan/spyware etc.

I'd use the task manager to find out the file name, but it closes...
 

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
3,891
0
0
#15
NoSubstance said:
I'm fairly sure that it's some form of virii/trojan/spyware etc.

I'd use the task manager to find out the file name, but it closes...
Drop into chat: If you need help.
 

Zickddot

Banned - What an Asshat!
1,433
0
0
#16
i go to this website, its fast n strong - www.antivirus.com under the yellow section at the bottum is says free scan, click that, you can choose the files u want scanned
 

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
109
157
#17
www.grisoft.com Download AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition there. Update all the Virus definitions, then proceed to scan for viri.

www.mozilla.org Download Mozilla Firfox 0.9. STOP USING INTERNET EXPLORER! That will prevent occurances like this from happening again. IE has a component called ActiveX that allows any program the site wants to be installed on your computer.

For fucks sake, what ever happened to the good old days of the internet where people actually knew shit about browsers?! Now everyone uses Microsoft Idiot Exploiter. People, download Mozilla and put an end to this shit.

FUCK MICROSOFT
 

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
6,775
251
118
#18
jstager said:
www.grisoft.com Download AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition there. Update all the Virus definitions, then proceed to scan for viri.

www.mozilla.org Download Mozilla Firfox 0.9. STOP USING INTERNET EXPLORER! That will prevent occurances like this from happening again. IE has a component called ActiveX that allows any program the site wants to be installed on your computer.

For fucks sake, what ever happened to the good old days of the internet where people actually knew shit about browsers?! Now everyone uses Microsoft Idiot Exploiter. People, download Mozilla and put an end to this shit.

FUCK MICROSOFT
No, I was using Mozilla. He clicked "yes" when it asked him to download it.

Thanks for all your help everybody... I'm working on fixing it now.