WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Jesus Christ in legal battle to get license

Jung

???
Premium
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/05/10/jesus.lawsuit.ap/index.html
CHARLESTON, West Virginia (AP) -- Even Jesus Christ can't circumvent the rules for getting a driver's license in West Virginia.

Attempts to prove his name really is Christ have led the man born as Peter Robert Phillips Jr. through a lengthy legal battle and a recent victory in the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.

"This all started with him expressing his faith and his respect and love for Jesus Christ," attorney A.P. Pishevar told The Associated Press. "Now he needs to document it for legal reasons."

Described by his attorney as a white-haired businessman in his mid-50s, Christ is moving to West Virginia to enjoy a slower lifestyle. He bought property near Lost River, about 100 miles west of Washington, and has a U.S. passport, Social Security card and Washington driver's license bearing the name Jesus Christ.

But he still falls short of West Virginia title and license transfer requirements because his Florida birth certificate has his original name on it and he has been unable to obtain an official name change in Washington.

"We just need official documentation that that's his name," said Doug Stump, commissioner of the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles. "He will be treated no different than anybody else."

Christ applied for the legal name change in May 2003, but it was denied by District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Tim Murphy because "taking the name of Jesus Christ may provoke a violent reaction or may significantly offend people."

In his appeal, Christ's attorney argued that Phillips had changed his name to Jesus Christ 15 years earlier, and "has been using the name since then without incident."

The appeals court last month sent the name-change proposal back to the lower court, saying some required hearings in the case had not been held.

Any comment from the man in the middle of this legal tussle?

"Christ is not speaking to the press at this time," Pishevar said.
Lol at the title. Only in West Virginia...

bnccoder

Postaholic
If he tries to kill them they could always slap him with a lawsuit. Headlines read "Christ Sentenced to Life."

bnccoder said:
If he tries to kill them they could always slap him with a lawsuit. Headlines read "Christ Sentenced to Life."
lol .. so horrible---ly funny :confuse:

asdalover

God, i'm bored!
Only America could have someone like that in there Country.

Saying that, have the name 'Richard Head' and be a school teacher must be setting yourself up for death by taunting.

(Above was not at my school but somebady I know)

ferengi

Yay fire!
The only reason this guy did it is probably for attention. Not very original if you ask me. :rolleyes:

"Showing love and respect" for Jesus Christ by taking his name is not the best way to go about it.

Descent

Hella Constipated
GAH! I feel like I'm in a retard machine...Oh wait, that's the woodland I'm standing in naked, jacking off as we speak.

Um...How am I getting reception out here? And why is my laptop running off batteries when they cannot charge above 0%?

OMG IT'S JEBUS LLO! JEBUS IS IN MY LAPTOP, NOES!

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Jebus is back in the form of a 50 year old American businessman. Burn him!!!! /Dance

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
What's next?

I like star trek so I'm going to have to become "Captain James T. Kirk"!

I like horror movies so I have to become "Freddy Kruger"

I like Ice Cream so I want to be called "Death By Chocolate"

I like the Bee Gees so I'm now known as "Staying Alive"

I love this country so call me "United S. America"

Some people are so sad.

When I grow up, I'm changing my name to Your Mom.

"Your Mom Killed 15 People on His Insane Rampage"

Dying is worth that headline.

'Dude what's up'
'I'm good.'
'The names Jeff, what's yours?'
'I'm Your Mom, but just call me Trans.'