WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Jewish?

bnccoder

Postaholic
Is anyone Jewish here? I'm looking to learn a little about the religion. What are the differances between it and christanity?

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
I am not jewish, but i am christan...

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I'm not Jewish but I play one on TV.

I think Stager is.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
I'm 1/4 Jewish if that's any consulation to you. And my Grandfather was full Jewish, Dad is half, I can find out information for you if you would like.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
my dad is jewish, my mom is christian, so there i am christian in terms of religion, but half jewish in terms of ancestry. in judaism there is spchmtza, in christianity there is christ bread.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
bnccoder said:
Is anyone Jewish here? I'm looking to learn a little about the religion. What are the differances between it and christanity?

If I remember correctly and I am not sure this is 100% right, but the Jewish people do not believe that Jesus was the son of God. They believed him to be something else, like a prophet or something along those lines. Which in some cases makes sense. They say that the son of God has not been delivered to earth yet sense the world is still kind of messed up.

Again, I am not sure if this is 100% right, so someone with a little more knowledge on the subject might be able to better explain it.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
_Kitana_ said:
If I remember correctly and I am not sure this is 100% right, but the Jewish people do not believe that Jesus was the son of God. They believed him to be something else, like a prophet or something along those lines. Which in some cases makes sense. They say that the son of God has not been delivered to earth yet sense the world is still kind of messed up.

Again, I am not sure if this is 100% right, so someone with a little more knowledge on the subject might be able to better explain it.
im not sure either, but if you look at the old testament jesus wasn't all he is hyped up to be. im not being blaspehmous, but i am approaching this in a logical way. in the old testament allt he miracles jesus has performed were done by others who did not claim to be the son of god, not that the son of god couldn't do those things its just they want more magic tricks in their messiah.

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Pointless. No Jesus, no Moses, and even truer, NO GOD.

Easily manipulated. You're all just easily manipulated. :thumbsup:

bnccoder

Postaholic
WizardlyFriend said:
my dad is jewish, my mom is christian, so there i am christian in terms of religion, but half jewish in terms of ancestry. in judaism there is spchmtza, in christianity there is christ bread.
What is spchmtza? Are you sure you spelled it right?

So in Judaism only the old testament matters? It makes more sence that he wan't the son of God.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Jewish ... lol

I could be wrong, but don't jews believe that they are the children of god and that they are the only ones who be allowed into heaven?

About the only other thing I know is about the large jewish community in Cleveland Heights, OH that don't drive cars or use electricty on friday. I guess that makes me useless, lol.

bnccoder said:
What is spchmtza? Are you sure you spelled it right?

So in Judaism only the old testament matters? It makes more sence that he wan't the son of God.
Yes, the Torah (as I believe it is called) is the Old Testament. Judaism is based off of the rules of that section of the Christian Bible. Kitana is right, they don't believe that Jesus was the son of God. They believe he was just another prophet. That is the reason a lot of Christians believe no Jew will go to Heaven unless they convert. I don't believe this, but my belief system is kind of wierd. Jews believe that Israel is the land God promised Abraham his children. That's why there's so much fighting over that land (or at least part of the reason is religious I'm sure there's more to it). Hope this helps you some, bnc. I can always look up more.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
breakology said:
Jewish ... lol

I could be wrong, but don't jews believe that they are the children of god and that they are the only ones who be allowed into heaven?

About the only other thing I know is about the large jewish community in Cleveland Heights, OH that don't drive cars or use electricty on friday. I guess that makes me useless, lol.
I think you are thinking of another relgion Break.

switch_scribe

dolor ex fides
I'm a Jewish convert.
WizardlyFriend said:
in judaism there is spchmtza, in christianity there is christ bread.
Dude, it's matzah bread.

Yes there are 613 precepts of Judaism.

No, Jews believe that anyone can get to heaven, not just Jews, as long as they genuinely try to be good.

Jesus was a rabbi, and a good guy, but not the Messiah. Unless you're a Messianic Jew. Then he is.

Judaism has three books. The Torah, which Christanity appropriated for the Old Testament; the Talmud, which are writings by Rabbis considered to be particularly wise; and the Zohar, mystical writings related to the Kabbalah.

Orthodox Jews do no work on the Sabbath (Friday night to Saturday night). This includes driving, turning on lights, or anything else related to work.

That's all I can think of right now. Anything else just ask.

bnccoder

Postaholic
What's the deal with not cooking meat with milk? I know it make the meat not kosher, but why?