WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Joystick and keyboard advice (and some other quetsion)

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
i play a good deal of computer FPSs, that has been my recent gaming needs. Ive never had a chance to use a joystick with them though. i used to have a joystick for flying games, but i cant find it, and the buttons on top were broken last time i had it. (plus it was from like 1997). i was wondering a few things about joysticks:

1)do they work well with FPS (not flying games with shooters). im talking about games like HL2, where you have a gun and are a person. does the joystick work well with this? i undertand that probably is a learning period wehre im a idiot with the joystick, but i dont care, if it works well then im happy.
2) what joysticks are good. i want a joystick that is going ot be reliable for a couple of years. i also dont need the joystick with 50 customizable buttons. my mouse had two buttons and a scroll wheel. if you can beat that many customizable buttons then youre good in that sense. i would also like one that comes with soem software that lets me set the sensitivity and customize the buttons, etc. etc.

my second question is in relation to keyboards. do i need a good keyboard to play games ont eh computer. i got a standard compaq keyboard. it it made of crappy plastic, weights liek a 1/4 of a pound, but all the keys work and i havent had any performance issues. im wonderinng what is the advantage of all these other keyboards out there, why do people need one better than the crappy edition.

my third question is a simple one too. im looking for a headset to use for online play. i had a headset too, but its broken (the headset piece broke annd the wires are fine. i taped it back together, and just plugged it in, but for whatever reason it wasnt working. the headset comes down into one cord that splits and one plugs into the mic thing, and the other nto the headphone thing on my computer.) if anyone knows how to fix this problem pleaes tell me. otherwise im just looking for a cost effective headset. i dont know why people need headsets that are fancy. all i want is one that when i speak into it the computer does a good job of recording the audio and then sends that out.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Question 1:

No, they will suck balls for FPSes. Plan on using it for Descent, FreeSpace, NovaLogic's F-22 Raptor and Comanche 4, anything but Doom 3 or HL2.

Descent is an FPS, but it's not like most, because it's a fully rotational shooter, hence the joystick people use with it.

Question 2:

Your Compaq keyboard should be fine - I've loved every one I've used.

DO NOT GET A LOGITECH KEYBOARD. They have worthless buttons such as the "F-Lock" key that allows you to use the F-Key's, and not their built in AOLer functions. Also, the sleep button is always getting bumped, it's right next to the escape key. The mute button gets bumped more than Brittany Spears.

Question 3:

So far, Logitech headsets are the best I've seen for the money. The Juster MP-020 headset I got off Newegg is very good for a generic one, but I will be trading up soon. That Juster is miles better than my old Plantronics...

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Our boy Descent got one more or less right. Do we get balloons and shit for the party?

Joy sticks for an FPS aren't usually a swell idea. I've met gamers who are very good with them but they'll readily admit it took them YEARS to even get to playable. For the FPS your best bet is still the mouse and keyboard combo.

As far as keyboards, if the buttons work that's all that really matters. If you want to upgrade go for it. For gaming I'd avoid the split boards like the MS Natural stuff. You want all your keys in one nice contiguous space. As far as Logitech boards go, they're good shiznit. Try them out, figure out if you like the configurations for yourself. You may or may not like the layout or certain features but in general they make good stuff.

Don't know nothin about headsets. I live alone so I play as loud as I wanna play.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
DO NOT GET A LOGITECH KEYBOARD. They have worthless buttons such as the "F-Lock" key that allows you to use the F-Key's, and not their built in AOLer functions. Also, the sleep button is always getting bumped, it's right next to the escape key. The mute button gets bumped more than Brittany Spears.
:rolleyes:

I have two Logitech keyboards, I've never had a problem with either one, and I've owned both for two - three years.

I own these two models, both are decent keyboards.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=211034
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=211121

Descent

Hella Constipated
Uber said:
As far as Logitech boards go, they're good shiznit. Try them out, figure out if you like the configurations for yourself. You may or may not like the layout or certain features but in general they make good stuff.
I got this one for free...Thank God!

My Chaintech 7NIL1 motherboard supports "HOT KEY POWER ON," and it has to be Ctrl+F-Key. Too bad for F-Lock.

I have a Jewish keyboard kext to me, but it's rather bitchy...It actually has Jewish and letter characters on it.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
i went to the store and picked up the:
Logitech Premium Stereo Headset with Noise-Canceling Microphone

i was at first unimpressed as it seamed that the mic didnt reach my mouth and the noise wasnt picked up, but i adjusted the mic volume and everyone could hear me fine. :thumbsup:

shep

Local alcoholic
Nostromo n52 speedpad is great for FPS gaming

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
shep said:
Nostromo n52 speedpad is great for FPS gaming
im not really sure why i would need a speedpad. i already have a keyboard. im not sure what use the mouse wheel would be either, i already have a mouse. the concept of this device confuses me.

as far as joystick, i guess i wont persue that road, but i do hope that i find my old one or that a friend throws one out, cause i just want to try it for the fun of it.