WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Judge sentences 20-year old Devin Moore, GTA triple homocide murderer, to death.

Descent

Hella Constipated
20-year-old who used Grand Theft Auto as defense for triple homicide sentenced to lethal injection.

Earlier this year, Devin Moore, now 20, was on trial for the 2003 triple homicide of three Alabama policemen. While in detention for stealing a car, Moore grabbed the pistol of one officer and used it to fatally shoot a total of three of them.

The defense mounted a case based on a childhood full of mental and physical abuse, as well as an affinity for violent games. One game in particular, Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto III, was singled out, because gamers can steal cars and kill cops in it. Moore had said he was inspired by the PlayStation 2 game.

In August, a jury swiftly convicted Moore of the charges. And today, a judge laid down the most severe punishment the justice system allows.
Moore will be put to death by lethal injection. Defense attorney Jim Standridge will appeal the case.

The victims' families have sued Take-Two Interactive (parent company of Rockstar), Sony, Wal-Mart, and GameStop for their parts in the manufacturing and selling of the game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6135335.html

What a dipshit, if he wanted to get off scot-free, he should have used the legal system instead of robbing three people of their lives, an entire industry of millions, and sauntering his family's reputation and the video game industry's as well.

buff_guy24

RUB-A-DUB N DA HOT TUB!
Just because this dipshit played a :gun: videogame:gun: he thinks he can use it as a defense? What a fucking idiot:mfinger: . could you just imagine if he would have gotten off-how many people would use that as a defense? They'd end up banning videogames next.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
if i were in that situation, and i saw my cop buddy shot dead with his own gun, id have wasted NO TIME in shooting that guys fucking head off. Is bullshit.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
If you're gonna kill cops.. You better be ready to die. He should've killed himself after doing it.

WaFfLeS

Banned - What an Asshat!
I agree with buff, he blames it on a fucking video game, bullshit, I say blame it on his parents for letting him play it, or whatever that emotional and physical abuse was from. If your parents trust you enough to let you play those games, then they had better know you pretty damn well.

elTegra

Hatchling
O.K., I think its safe to say that the general opinion is that if your stupid enough to kill cops and blame it on a video game then you deserve the death penalty. But what's the opinion on the parents of the decesed sueing the makers and distributors GTA3 ... and why don't they sue the police force for poor training ... or the maker of the pistol for not installing somesort of safty-lock; how about sueing the parents of the accused for the alledged abuse .... Why single out the video game?

... Sorry but I would honestly like to know.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
can i blame my flaming homosexuality on crystal's pony tale?

SilentHunter

One Shot, One Kill
the cops deserve it

as a resident of alabama. i can tell you the cops are corrupt the court is corrupt the public defenders are the d.a. bitch boys. i have been through this jim crow southern state's judicial system. i dont condone violence in real life video games are a good release. but there is no release from the system we live in alabama..........3 down thousands to go!

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
elTegra said:
O.K., I think its safe to say that the general opinion is that if your stupid enough to kill cops and blame it on a video game then you deserve the death penalty. But what's the opinion on the parents of the decesed sueing the makers and distributors GTA3 ... and why don't they sue the police force for poor training ... or the maker of the pistol for not installing somesort of safty-lock; how about sueing the parents of the accused for the alledged abuse .... Why single out the video game?

... Sorry but I would honestly like to know.
Sueing his folks won't get anything, they've got no money. Suing the gun maker won't work simply because it's been done. Suing the police department for inadequate training would require proof of poor training.

Suing the game makers and distributors on the other hand works. It's easy to make an emotional case against them and they have money. It's a civil trial so the burden of proof is FAR less strict. Just show some of the more violent portions of the game in court and you've made 50% of your case right there. Get a shrink to testify that it could provoke violence and you've got an easy settlement. And frankly, if they're going to make games and market them to teenagers (and less face it, that's exactly what they do) the should be ready for shit like this.

R

RedOctober

Well, let's face it.
I grew up in a country where it isn't cool to have a gun. At least, it wasn't untill they started broadcasting that stupid videoclips where you got some dudes making the devil gesture with their fingers all the time.
Youngsters grow up with the idea that behaving like a Crip or Blood is normal these days. Television is so full of violence that they don't see reality anymore. The stupid thing is, that even the soft sex programs are full of violence. It seems to be normal to rape a girl.
On the other hand, girls behave like virgin bitches. Influence of the playing hard to get teenage stars like Britney Spears and you know who..

All this leads to a hedonistic sado masochistic coctail of a society where there is no respect for life what so ever. Even the Christians are as fundamentalistic as the Muslims, and busy sharpening their swords.

What we need is a view about the future, a positive one.
Young people must have something positive to build on.

A repressive state with the ultimate death penalty doesn't work.
Simply because young people don't have anything to lose, and are fucked up because of that.
Telling a 18 year old deserves death penalty for killing 3 cops is idiot, because you knew you got that coming!
He didn't want to go to jail, because he already knew them big boys were going to fuck his ass in there.
That was all. Think about it.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
RageAgainst said:
If you're gonna kill cops.. You better be ready to die. He should've killed himself after doing it.
Ditto.

And on a side note kids, a life and games of abuse and violence is not an excuse, it may be a precursor to certain behavior, but it is not an excuse.
Now, if the jury had believed him on the rockstar games thing, why didnt they sentance him to a mental institiution? Furthermore, since the victims families defense is soley on the fact that the kid would not have killed people without rockstar games, wouldn't that make the case pretty much fall apart?

R

RedOctober

dustinzgirl said:
Ditto.

And on a side note kids, a life and games of abuse and violence is not an excuse, it may be a precursor to certain behavior, but it is not an excuse.
Now, if the jury had believed him on the rockstar games thing, why didnt they sentance him to a mental institiution?
Pardon me, but the jury is part of the same society (system) the kid comes from. In fact you don't need a jury at all.
The fact alone someone killed three coppers, is more than enough in the USA to commit another state murder.
And you and I know, this execution won't ever impress new cop killers.
The machism in American society is just asking for it to happen over and over again.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
RedOctober said:
Pardon me, but the jury is part of the same society (system) the kid comes from. In fact you don't need a jury at all.
The fact alone someone killed three coppers, is more than enough in the USA to commit another state murder.
And you and I know, this execution won't ever impress new cop killers.
The machism in American society is just asking for it to happen over and over again.
What most people don't get is that the death penalty is not really about deterence. It's about retribution. It's imposed in a case where your crimes are so heinous that society in general has determined that there is no reason to keep you alive. You are being punished for your crimes in the most severe way we know how.

I'm not saying that it's justified. I'm just clarifying why we use it.

Personally I'm a fan of the death penalty. If you commit certain crimes I'd rather you not share my oxygen. If the US penal system were based on rehabilitation vs retribution I would probably feel different. But with the system we currently have it's all I've got to work with.

R

RedOctober

Well.. I am against death penalty anyway.

It doesn't work, is more expensive than stowing a person behind bars, and there are too many persons executed that afterwards were proven to be not guilty.

In some cases, the crime is done by a youngster or a mentally disabled person, who is not accountable for his deeds.
Young people can be influenced a lot by "propaganda".
We know how easy Hitler got Germans to be his cannonfodder by simply inventing the "Hitler Youth" program.
We also see how young Arab kids sling an explosive belt around their waist, and blow up a bus or train.
And they keep coming, because there might be something wrong with the "system".
Ask yourself why there is juvenile delinquency. It was there yesterday, but it wasn't so extreme. Why did it rise?

I think there is a direct link with television, video games and the government propaganda.
After all, soldiers coming back from Iraq tell the stories that life isn't worth a buck. Schools where kids rattle around with a machine gun..

And Bush is fighting against a fictious terrorism, while every 5 minutes or so a cop is killed in the USA. Should be a full death row I guess...

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
RedOctober said:
And Bush is fighting against a fictious terrorism, while every 5 minutes or so a cop is killed in the USA. Should be a full death row I guess...
Most Death Row's ARE full actually. The odds of actually being executed are pretty low in the US even when you are sentenced to it. Most Death Row inmates die of natural causes or prison violence. As a percentage of the whole, few are executed.

Nope, the US Legal and social systems aren't perfect. We tend to glorify violence and idolize thugs like Tupac. Look at what's on TV in the states tonight. CSI, Without a Trace, ER and who knows what else. All three are graphic shows that frequently depict violence and conflict. And that's just Thursdays. It'd be worse if Fox wasn't airing baseball tonight.

R

RedOctober

UberSkippy said:
Most Death Row's ARE full actually. The odds of actually being executed are pretty low in the US even when you are sentenced to it. Most Death Row inmates die of natural causes or prison violence. As a percentage of the whole, few are executed.
Well.. You say it yourself...
That it's a pretty good idea to stay out of prison..
One way or another..

Most Death Row inmates die of natural causes or prison violence.

Prison violence?
What is that?
Get fucked in the ass with a broom or things like that?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
RedOctober said:
Most Death Row inmates die of natural causes or prison violence.

Prison violence?
What is that?
Get fucked in the ass with a broom or things like that?
Pretty much yeah. They may be strangled, stabbed, gutted, beaten etc...

R

RedOctober

UberSkippy said:
Pretty much yeah. They may be strangled, stabbed, gutted, beaten etc...
Well.. There you go...
Wouldn't you shoot 3 cops to stay out of a prison then? :p

Good...the mother fucker deserves to rot in hell...you cannot kill three people and blame it on a pretty good video game, these assholes have to start realising the difference between reality and a stupid fuckin video game...:mfinger:

R

RedOctober

I see the light said:
Good...the mother fucker deserves to rot in hell...you cannot kill three people and blame it on a pretty good video game, these assholes have to start realising the difference between reality and a stupid fuckin video game...:mfinger:
No, I don't buy it!

There must have happened something that triggered the boy.

Something like one of the three policemen saying to the lad he was going into jail, and that he would have a lot of fans out there.
That those jailhouse hunks really love a tight butt.

And than the shit hit the fan.. :gun: