Discuss Just a few opinions to get shit off my chest

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
Hey member that time the CIA created and funded the Mujahadeen through Osama Bin Laden and gave them S-7 Grails to shoot down Hind hellicopters in Afghanistan to expedite the withdrawal of Russian troops? Peppridge Farms remembers.

JimmyStuart71

Hoodrat
Hey member that time the CIA created and funded the Mujahadeen through Osama Bin Laden and gave them S-7 Grails to shoot down Hind hellicopters in Afghanistan to expedite the withdrawal of Russian troops? Peppridge Farms remembers.
Thank you my fried for simply giving a damn. I am reminded in the midst of my drunken stupor that the world still turns. For fucks sake people push the envelope and use your given rite to question the establishment. If I made any clerical errors blame it on the booze and the fact that the main reason I woke up today was to say Fuck You world I'm still right here.

Catseye

Fresh Meat
Greetings; I'm new here. Will 'fess up front that I'm a halfwit computer-wise, so it'll take some time for me to learn my way around.

Responding to J Stewart's and BuddhaRebel's comments: The I-word -- ideology -- is starting to become a dirty word for me. As I understand its use by most people, it is a pigeonholer of one kind or another, very constricting. "How am I supposed to think about X? What rules have I set for myself?" Forget all that, be a freethinker and know that your options for what you think about anything in the universe are fluid and can change from one month to the next or one instant to the next, and to hell with it; go with the flow. It is marvelously liberating. This is not an instruction for you; it's thoughts to myself.

Remember the thing about hobgoblins and small minds.

I have also been working hard to lose opinions. I'm about ready to conclude that opinions are a curse. Much freer and far less stressful to observe each event, each incident, each thingamajig like it's flowing past in a river. Observe, and let it go.

That's madly general, but I've talked too much considering this is my first post here.

Canadian Pyro

Postaholic
Greetings; I'm new here. Will 'fess up front that I'm a halfwit computer-wise, so it'll take some time for me to learn my way around.

Responding to J Stewart's and BuddhaRebel's comments: The I-word -- ideology -- is starting to become a dirty word for me. As I understand its use by most people, it is a pigeonholer of one kind or another, very constricting. "How am I supposed to think about X? What rules have I set for myself?" Forget all that, be a freethinker and know that your options for what you think about anything in the universe are fluid and can change from one month to the next or one instant to the next, and to hell with it; go with the flow. It is marvelously liberating. This is not an instruction for you; it's thoughts to myself.

Remember the thing about hobgoblins and small minds.

I have also been working hard to lose opinions. I'm about ready to conclude that opinions are a curse. Much freer and far less stressful to observe each event, each incident, each thingamajig like it's flowing past in a river. Observe, and let it go.

That's madly general, but I've talked too much considering this is my first post here.

The problem with eschewing capital-I ideology is that "conservative" and "liberal" are pretty bad terms to describe what is actually going on in people's heads.

Ideology, properly defined, is the stuff you don't easily notice. The ways your thinking is shaped by your socio-historical milieu that you aren't aware of. It's the water you swim in, not the fins you flap with. Once you start really trying to notice that stuff, all kinds of interesting things start popping out to you.

Opinions are like assholes and if you try to get rid of yours, you'll end up either full of shit or bleeding to death.

Much better to try and shrink your identities. Our brains do so much work to rationalise and protect our cognition-salient identities from inconvenient facts and arguments. The only way I know to avoid it (somewhat) is to deliberately cultivate a self-identity of being morally decent and caring about knowing things that are true.

Oh, and welcome and fuck off. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Catseye

Fresh Meat
The problem with eschewing capital-I ideology is that "conservative" and "liberal" are pretty bad terms to describe what is actually going on in people's heads.

Oh, how I agree with the back half of that! But I take the opposite view as to the role of ideology. Consciously applying a set of principles adopted god knows how long ago for god knows what reasons to any one issue has the tendency to force you toward a "truth" that society (that is, somebody other than you) has established. "I'm inclined to believe X, but can't as a good conservative." So if anything, eschewing capital-I ideology helps you to avoid that lock-in. And it has the additional advantage of confusing the hell out of people. ;)

However, our separate definitions may be setting us at cross purposes unnecessarily. I hate when that happens.

As for the rest, phrases like "cognition-salient identity" irritate me to death, so I'll skip all that bit.

Thanks for the welcome, and by all means fuck off your ownself. :)

Canadian Pyro

Postaholic
As for the rest, phrases like "cognition-salient identity" irritate me to death, so I'll skip all that bit.
That's super fair, I just like writing that stuff. It's, uh, fun for me. Dunno what that says about me.

What I mean by that is just like, when something you're thinking about is relevant to some idea about who you think you are, I guess. that's wordier but maybe clearer.