WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Just a question....

screw_you_jack

Pig Tails and a Shotgun
Now this is just a question jason, but after looking through the member's list i couldn't help but notice the large amount of people that register and then never come back. Is there a inactive time limit before member's are deleted or do they just stay there forever adding to your statistics of this site..... Just curious.....
also have to add that i think it's good all the changes and improvments your making, but are you going to make a live chat thingy like what's been discused in pervious threads?

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
Hey,

No, generally we haven't been automatically deleting users.. We'll just occasionally purge inactive members after a while.. Since we've only been up barely 3 months now, I haven't really done any purges as of yet... Higher site statistics help us the most at this time. However I'm going to remove those with 0 posts from showing up in the Member's List at the very least...

As for the chatroom, I'm hoping to get that started any day now.. What we need to do is figure out if everyone is okay with IRC and knows how to use it and such... I can even open up the chatroom later today if that's the case.. However if it requires me to add a gateway script in java or whatever for simplicity for newbs (as done on Alien Soup) it can take a little bit more time. Either way, we'll definatly be doing it!

Thanks for the questions.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
Jason said:
Hey,

No, generally we haven't been automatically deleting users.. We'll just occasionally purge inactive members after a while.. Since we've only been up barely 3 months now, I haven't really done any purges as of yet... Higher site statistics help us the most at this time. However I'm going to remove those with 0 posts from showing up in the Member's List at the very least...

As for the chatroom, I'm hoping to get that started any day now.. What we need to do is figure out if everyone is okay with IRC and knows how to use it and such... I can even open up the chatroom later today if that's the case.. However if it requires me to add a gateway script in java or whatever for simplicity for newbs (as done on Alien Soup) it can take a little bit more time. Either way, we'll definatly be doing it!

Thanks for the questions.
If you want, such as on my other bored... we had a qustion and help thread... for the newbs that where struggling with the chat.

Jason

Founder
Okay, I'll post an announcement later today with IRC details. It will require an IRC client (such as what mirc.com provides) and general knowledge on how to choose a network and a channel.

In the future perhaps we'll add a chat applet.

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
ok well i have never used irc chat but im able to learn fast

ron

Buster of Asses
I own an IRC server, but I don't know if I want to share.

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
that would be cool
if you shared your toys

ron

Buster of Asses
gumercules said:
ron did not attend kindergarten apparently
Sure I did, but I had to walk uphill in the snow both ways to get there. The day was pretty well shot by the time I got there.

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
ron said:
Sure I did, but I had to walk uphill in the snow both ways to get there. The day was pretty well shot by the time I got there.
well uncle ron dident you learn to share your toys???

ron

Buster of Asses
youknowthedeal said:
well uncle ron dident you learn to share your toys???
Alright, maybe after I tighten security on it...It's connected to a network, too, so not everyone would be a WTF user.

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
ron said:
Alright, maybe after I tighten security on it...It's connected to a network, too, so not everyone would be a WTF user.
who else uses it???

ron

Buster of Asses
youknowthedeal said:
who else uses it???
People from all over. Some good ranters from the old BBS days. You'll like them, especially Angus.

By network, I meant an IRC network, like DALnet or Undernet.

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
ron said:
People from all over. Some good ranters from the old BBS days. You'll like them, especially Angus.

By network, I meant an IRC network, like DALnet or Undernet.
would it be hard to host the whole wtf payload

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
gumercules said:
i guarantee we won't get more than 20 or so at a time
considering(sp?) that the most users online was like 60 or so w while ago then there was an explosion of users online

ron

Buster of Asses
youknowthedeal said:
would it be hard to host the whole wtf payload
Not really. It all depends on how many people decide to participate. I'll have to reconfigure some security, as well as some services.

yeah, logging onto the site and sitting on irc are two very different things in practice

Jason

Founder
ron: What network do you connect to specifically? You're really not obligated to do this, we can just use an open network really...