WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Just a question.

Is it possible to use a DVD drive on one computer (my laptop) to install a program on another computer (my desktop) via a network and have it set up so that the desktop looks to the DVD drive on the laptop for files the program needs to run?

I hope I made that coherent enough to get an accurate answer.

If I remember correctly, all you have to do is copy the files and reg keys and move it to the main computer through the network. Correct me if I'm wrong, ne 1 please.

Jung

???
Premium
WILD said:
Is it possible to use a DVD drive on one computer (my laptop) to install a program on another computer (my desktop) via a network and have it set up so that the desktop looks to the DVD drive on the laptop for files the program needs to run?

I hope I made that coherent enough to get an accurate answer.
If you just want to share your DVD drive, then yes, it's very possible. Just set it to be shared using Windows networking. Then you can use the shared drive from any computer in your network, just like it was on that PC.
Rebel89 said:
If I remember correctly, all you have to do is copy the files and reg keys and move it to the main computer through the network. Correct me if I'm wrong, ne 1 please.
That has nothing to do with what he's asking.

junglizm said:
If you just want to share your DVD drive, then yes, it's very possible. Just set it to be shared using Windows networking. Then you can use the shared drive from any computer in your network, just like it was on that PC.
I'll try that, thank you.