WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Just beneath the Surface / Looting Katrina

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Some folks deny man is an animal. I say bullshit, people are just animals who play dress up and use guns. Take away the electricity, clean water, and easy food.... and you suddenly thousands of years of "evolution" come crashing down, and the monkey comes out. Let's face it the looters and rioters of Katrina are nothing new, every major disaster has these people. It's just more disgusting because we have cameras everywhere to record these people behaving in animal fashion. I, for one, am ashamed at my "fellow men" who in difficult times just revert to animal instinct. I accept the animal in myself, but I don't give in to the more base instincts. It's possible to rise above, and these people are the prime example of just how fucking far we have to go before we're actually evolved.

Considering this is happening in America, it's more shocking than say Africa. People around the office were just laughing at the train wreck and the african authorities fighting off looters who were trying to steal beer. Not so funny anymore. I think sometimes the best way for the world to destroy America would be to set a nuke off high in the atmosphere, and the EMP would destroy electrical systems country wide. The lights would go off, and stay off. America would destroy itself in weeks. What a fucking pathetic, and totally realistic, thought.

I guess my point is that I plead with you all to try and act more evolved than the monkies you make fun of at the zoo.

Thanks.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
there isn't a huge difference IMO b/t how the human mind processes things and the mind of a dog might. the difference being we have intelligence and conscious. but below that we recognize things as good and bad, even if you look at the complexity of our society and the seamingly advanced decisions we make it all breaks down to basic instinct. the purpose of man is to survive, first and foremost. you can't deny that, even if there is a god, survival still comes before faith or doing the right thing.

JLXC

Premium
WizardlyFriend I HAVE to disagree fully with that. Many people in history have chosen Death over acting like monkies. There are plenty of examples of heroes and villians who have chosen to do what they thought was right, straight to the grave. Many of these people are considered heroes or at least legends. Maybe it's because most people cannot let that animal part go, that these people are such exceptions that normal people cannot be that evolved yet? I dunno, but I know there's plenty of people who would rather die doing the right thing, than live doing the wrong thing. More power to 'em.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
i should have been more specific. i was talking more about the fact that man will in most circumstances do whatever it takes to get food if they are hungry, water if they are thirsty and whatever else they need. not that everyone is going to go into a mcdonald's with a gun and rob it every time they get a little hungry, but when all you have no food and no way of getting it you don't care about how scrupulous your means are. i'm sure there are exceptions to this, there are exception to just about everything, but the other week i wrote a short thing about basically what we are talking about.

the question was: is money/power a more important motivator than conscious?

and i said that it was in most cases. even in our society conscious doesn't play a big role. most people don't kill/steal because it is wrong right? what defines wrong? is it only wrong if the law and your creator will punish you for it? even if i'm wrong the whole basis of morals and religion has been established on our primitive nature. christianity doesn't say be a good person so that you'll feel all good inside, it says be a good person so that you don't burn in hell and so that you can go to heaven which is a good place. there isn't a huge difference between that and what is happening down there.

steal from a store and live or don't and die (in the case of food)

you took away the law aspect of fear from those people and look what happened. it may still be wrong, but there is no obvious punishment that they will face

JLXC

Premium
Ah then I see what you were getting at, and I agree. Rule of Law is fucking important because those who would rape/kill/steal WILL do it without fear of punishment, and there's so fucking many of them.

So while there are some people who don't need the "man" breathing down his neck not to go all ape shit everyday, there are plenty who do.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
I can understand the need to get supplies.. SUPPLIES.. Food, water, diapers... things you NEED... but many of these fuckers are just stealing stuff.. Electronics, Clothes, expensive things... nothing they are going to need to survive... Its great ya took that ipod from the bestbuys... so how ya gonna charge it?.... Personally send the police down the street with guns.. if the person has anything other then reasonable supplies in thier hands... end em... they shoulda died with the hurricaine if there that worthless...

and now the people who are doing nothing but waiting to be saved at the superdome, cant get rescued because some fuckers decided it would be a lark to shoot at the rescue choppers...

JLXC

Premium
Holy shit, now the fucking apes in New Orleans are shooting guns at passing helicopters trying to evacuate people? I guess the monkeys don't like intruders into their new habitat?

Jesus fucking Christ on a pogo stick, The INSANITY.

Jung

???
Premium
I really wish I could go in with an M16... those bastards are shooting at rescue helicopters and trying to overthrow the Wildlife & Fisheries rescue boats. One Ambulance company has already pulled out after being threatened. One member of a rescue team (a cop) was shot in the back of the head by a looter... God I hate people. :mad: :gun:

JLXC

Premium
Hey Jung! You're ok, people were worried on other threads. Everything ok, apart from the fucking suck ass humans of course.

Janglenut

Particinator
I don't understand how people can throw away help when they are in so much need.

The whole situation is sickening.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Janglenut said:
I don't understand how people can throw away help when they are in so much need.

i don't think it was people throwing away help, it's probably more likely to be people who want to loot unhindered, or linked to the fact that at the superdome there are rival gangs sheltering..
and all those looters stealing tvs, dvds etc.. will get forcibly evacuated and not keep a thing..
i say kill the looters and use them to fill the hole in the levvy..

:p

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Mans basic intstincts take over in intense situations, more so than a fight or flight response. There is the issue of group think, we have all seen the bad (LA Riots, for ex.) of that. The problem is a few, but there are still the many that are there and need out. The other problem is that the ppl who are there still are mainly (and do NOT take this the wrong way) poverty stricken, uneducated, and inherently black.

The looting stems from the idea that the ppl commiting this do not understand what is going on, they do not think that anyone will rescue them, they are looking out for themselves, period. They are thinking of making sure they have something to hock for later, to buy whatever it is they need (drugs, food, ect) for a profit.

No, its not right. Its fucked up and shitty, and sad.

PS: if my children were hungry, thirsty or whatever, you can bet your lilly white ass I would be doing whatever I could to make sure they were NOT.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Janglenut said:
After what, a couple days time?
NO, I am meaning in the psychological/social sense...."all for me because no one else will"

Looting is paranoia + disaster + group mindset - logic

Jung

???
Premium
Janglenut said:
After what, a couple days time?
A couple days with no clean water, no electricity, a city that's entirely flooded, et al. Add to that the fact that some idiots think it's important to get big screen TVs and DVD players right now, and the fact that some people are so desperate to get out that they're ready to strand rescue crews in order to get out NOW. People have demanded immediate evac at gun point... it's fucking crazy.

I think it's ridiculous; the news has been showing these pieces of shit looting DVD players and Air Jordans. It makes me sick, and I hope they get shot.
void said:
i don't think it was people throwing away help, it's probably more likely to be people who want to loot unhindered, or linked to the fact that at the superdome there are rival gangs sheltering..
No, that's happening too. Helicopters have been shot at as well as rescue crews, while trying to save the refugees.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
well think of it this way. you have been stranded for days and finally a copter comes and takes someone else and then begins to leave...

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
I dont think shooting at the copter will get it to return... something inside tells me this.. may be wrong..

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
well they also aren't very intelligent(they are still in the city) and under extreme circumstances. if you see people being rescued and they are taking other people, i'd be a little anxious to get out of htere.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I don't think looting would be much of an issue in New York City. It wasn't in the blackout of 2004. In fact, the place was silent and black. But there wasn't really any crime.

We have a very low crime rate. I really love living thirty minutes from what I feel is the greatest city on Earth.

Humans are nothing but extremely smart animals with a society.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Janglenut said:

There's an old saying.
"A person is smart, but people are stupid."