WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Kyoto Protocol

tzedek

Original Member
Miguel Rementeria, an Argentine environmental activist, said he harbors no hopes of a shift in U.S. policy.

"The big businesses that back Bush don't want it (Kyoto) and that won't change," Rementeria said.
link

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
36% of the global greenhouse gas production comes from the US. It wouldn't be good for the economy to reduce them, so they aren't gonna do it. They're gonna be dead when it becomes catastrophic anyways.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
they also say that planting crops in place of forests is a major cause of "global warming"

ok... I got "global warming" in my cart and I am heading to the checkout... but I am still skeptical on whether it is worth its price... should I buy it or not... some questions I ask myself before I purchase it...

...urbanized areas are made of brick, mortor, concrete, metal...... all act as a "heat sink".... this should contribute to higher temp readings.... right?
...the stations that they measure from are also open to scrutiny... in order to provide an accurate temperature reading they would have to be away from ubanized areas.. and they would have to remain clean... dirty boxes = warmer boxes... the shrubry around them would have to be nonexistent or trimmed to a certian level... is this being done...
....is the sun at a constant temp....
....does it emit light at a constant rate...
surface temps have increased... but have temps increased within all layers of the atmosphere...
... isn't CO2 is good for plants.. doesn't it make them grow better...
... can we cork Mt. St. Helens.. it produces a shitload of greenhouse gases...
... if it weren't for global warming wouldn't it still be the ice age...

It wouldn't be good for the economy to reduce them,
yeah.. if Bush/congress decide to try to adhere to Kyoto standards.. Americans lose jobs.... Bush gets blamed for less Americans working...
if he doesn't cut emissions by a large margin.. he is considered an eco-terrorist...

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
chemistry and ecology 101.. The global warming is that, global, and it's happening, no one can deny that. The polar ice caps farther from the poles are melting, etc etc. This is because of the greenhouse gasses that trap the sun's heat inside the atmosphere... It's theorically proven that greenhouse gasses cause global warming, and it's also being observed around the world. aaah I just found this, it'll answer some of your questions.
http://www.greenhousenet.org/resources/thescience.html
http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming/f101.asp

DanGeo23 said:
yeah.. if Bush/congress decide to try to adhere to Kyoto standards.. Americans lose jobs.... Bush gets blamed for less Americans working...
if he doesn't cut emissions by a large margin.. he is considered an eco-terrorist...
surely there are ways to reduce greenhouse gasses emissions without too much harm for the economy... Without oil lobbying we could already have electric/hybrid cars all around the country by now..

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
Interesting different POV on Global warming...
...warning.. long read... pop your adderall or ritalin b4 opening...

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
It dates from 1999, and it blames El Nino for the 1998 high readings... But 2001 and 2002 were also very hot years (3rd and 2nd hottest in recorded history, both in the atmosphere and at the surface)

Skeptics like these are very rare in the scientific community. They're saying the earth isn't warming that much right now. And that human activity and pollution does not influence the atmopshere that much. Kinda like throwing radioactive junk in the sea, it doesn't affect the sea THAT much right? But the real point is, you can theorically PROVE that the over-emission of greenhouse gasses can cause a global warming. Just because we don't feel the effects of it right now, doesn't mean we should keep polluting like money crazed bastards, does it?