WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Laptop LCD issues (no n00b posts allowed)

My dad has a Sony PCG-F430 laptop that's screen went out about a year ago. I'm not sure if the entire LCD is out, or if it's just a inverter or video connection problem. The backlight seems to be fine because powering on the laptop all you see is a white screen. Using the VGA out, you are able to use the laptop on another monitor. I am wanting to fix the laptop's LCD and make some upgrades to the laptop so that I can use it since it's basically just sitting around. What are some of the things I should check if the screen seems to be having power to it (maybe it's not enough? Power inverter issue?) and I am able to see the white, which I assume is from the backlight, but not recieving any video?

Descent

Hella Constipated
First off, check the cable connection. If that doesn't work, replace the cable. If THAT doesn't work, try the inverter board. Still no luck? Buy a new motherboard.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
ok white screen normally means that the lcd is bad...if its a sony i would recommend sending it to sony and get them to check it out, but call you before they make any reapairs. or if you don't want to mess with that take it to your local computer repair shop.