WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Laptop Shopping

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I'm in the final stages of buying a laptop now.

Here are the circumstances:
- I'm looking to buy one before Saturday so I can have something to take with me for the road trip to Michigan
- I'm looking to spend about $850-$1,200 (base price, I can probably negotiate that with tax + add-on prices)
- I probably won't custom build it or have it custom built for warranties and repair insurance purposes
- It needs to be a model I can buy at a popular retail store

So far I've really started to like this model. It's an AMD 64 Turion Processor with a 100gb harddrive with a 14" widescreen display, 1 gb of PC2700 (333mhz), and a core speed of 1.8 ghz. The normal HP model of this same product sells for about 1500. I went to CompUSA earlier today and with all the warranties (repair assistance; full coverage, etc) it's gonna be almost $1900. My parents are flipping out cuz they offered to buy it for me for school...but it looks like I'll have to pay alot out of pocket now. Are there any cheaper laptops that are more cost efficient that you can find. I've been researching some Dells, Compaqs, HP, Toshiba, and Sonys for the last couple days and I haven't found anything I like alot more than this machine (for the cost, anyway).

Jung

???
Premium
I'd have to recommend a Toshiba Satellite or IBM T-Series. (or PowerBook if you don't mind a Mac) They're both top quality and offer awesome support. If you can wait, I would. You'll definitely get a much better deal ordering online. Honestly, rushing into the purchase just so you can have it for your trip seems like a bad idea. Your road trip will probably last less than a week, but you will have this laptop for at least a year or two. I just can't see purchasing an inferior laptop in the name of having a toy for the road trip. Maybe that's just me though.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Nah, I've been looking around for almost a month now...it's not like I'm suddenly just gonna fork over some money out of the blue; I'd just like to get one. I'll be on the road for almost 2 weeks, and you're right...it would be dumb to just rush out and buy one with no planning, but I'm considering my options. I looked into the Toshiba Satellites earlier...they look pretty decent but I dunno...Thanks for the suggestion tied to the subtle flame. I love you.

Jung

???
Premium
Nah, I've been looking around for almost a month now...it's not like I'm suddenly just gonna fork over some money out of the blue; I'd just like to get one.
Yeah, I just meant that you would probably do better ordering online. You'll have more of a selection, some leeway in configuration and generally pay less for more.

Personally, I'd rather wait and get a better laptop, than buy something local so I could have it for the trip. Anyway, just a suggestion.

If you do end up buying from CompUSA(or any local shop for that matter), just forgo their crappy warranty and get one from the manufacturer if at all possible. I've heard many a horror story about CompUSA's service when it comes to warranties.

I'd also look into the Pentium M laptops, they seem to be overall better laptop processors than the A64 mobiles.
I looked into the Toshiba Satellites earlier...they look pretty decent but I dunno
Strictly personal opinion, but I'd definitely chose a Satellite over an HP any day. Actually, I seriously doubt I'd ever pay for an HP. Take that how you will though.
LiberatioN said:
Thanks for the suggestion tied to the subtle flame. I love you.
I really didn't mean it that way man. ;)

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
try display models... most stores have a few off the shelf display models they are trying to part with... they wont be the super up to date type but they will be hella cheaper..

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Yea...from what I've heard Pentium M processors deal pretty well with battery life and processing power...I just want a computer that can run games decently and wont be too heavy. I wasnt a big fan of HP, and I'm still not a big fan of their desktops, but they make some pretty quality notebooks. I considered getting an iBook, but I dont know...just not up my alley; plus I'll always be skeptical to buying a Mac.

Anyway; talkin it over with my dad tonite and we're gonna decide on a model.

Janglenut

Particinator
Have you looked around on Ebay? Sure it's not a top notch computer goign on there, but you can get some good deals for your parents.

Descent

Hella Constipated
LiberatioN said:
Yea...from what I've heard Pentium M processors deal pretty well with battery life and processing power...I just want a computer that can run games decently and wont be too heavy. I wasnt a big fan of HP, and I'm still not a big fan of their desktops, but they make some pretty quality notebooks. I considered getting an iBook, but I dont know...just not up my alley; plus I'll always be skeptical to buying a Mac.

Anyway; talkin it over with my dad tonite and we're gonna decide on a model.
Go Asus if you can fork over the cash for two day shipping.

But as of now personally I would get at least an HP with a Mobility Radeon 9600 GPU or a Toshiba. But do your homework and make sure that you can upgrade that 9600 in the future, because it will last you for at most a year.

Now, if you can afford it, get one with a Mobility Radeon 9700 GPU. If it's in your price window, then go for it - an upgrade card is pricey shit.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I'm looking to buy one before Saturday so I can have something to take with me for the road trip to Michigan
make sure before you come here (Michigan) you leave all your Spurs clothing home... us Pistons fans are still bitter...

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
actually, im bringing all of it. gloating is fun...plus after all the pistons fans in SA that pissed me off (up until the loss, of course) I'm looking forward to returning the gesture in their hometown. :thumbsup: