WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Lawmakers Chide Rumsfeld for Auto-Signed Sympathy Letters

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld did not personally sign his name on letters of condolence to families of troops killed in Iraq but instead had it done by a machine, an action lawmakers said on Sunday showed insensitivity and was inappropriate for leadership during war.

Rumsfeld acknowledged that he had not signed the letters to family members of more than 1,000 U.S. troops killed in action and in a statement said he would now sign them in his own hand. "This issue of the secretary of Defense not personally signing the letters is just astounding to me and it does reflect how out of touch they are and how dismissive they are," Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel said on CBS's "Face the Nation."

"I have no confidence in Rumsfeld," Hagel added.

Rumsfeld has been under strong fire from Democrats and some Republicans recently for appearing to brush off concerns of soldiers about the lack of protective equipment in Iraq.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Machine signed? Why go to all that trouble?

Send them an email!

Dear <Insert Name Here>,

Your <Insert Daughter\Son Here> was killed in combat in Iraq. We are so very sorry to have to tell you this, on this <Day> of <Month>, <Year>...

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
...another way to bash Rummy and give him bad press-is all.
tell me, if you believe he will or anyone would sit there and sign more than 1K letters? muchless personalize them, or even read to whom it was addressed.

no, instead what you'd get is a bunch of interns or low paid underlings in a room tasked w/ penning Rummy's sig on each letter. a mail campaign. how is this better?????? and how wold you disprove the accusation?