WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Leave her under the car dying?

littleone

the short crazy one
It's long, bear with me.

A few weekends ago I was on the MSU campus, Halloween weekend. I'm not dressed-up, not trying to party, just going to Bell's Pizza to hang with a friend or two. Anyhow, back to my story.

We pull up, park, get out, start walking towards the building, when all of a sudden we hear this huge THUD. I spin around, and I see groceries on the street and a car stopped at the side of the road. So I thought it was a car accident at first, then I saw it, a girl lying underneath a car. It was the scariest thing ever. The windsheild was cracked, she was all bloody on one side, and she was UNDERNEATH the car. I grab my phone and see that five other people have their phones out too. So, the police and ambulance came in a very short time, thankfully. But I have something to add to really make this story sick.

Two girls walking into Bell's were laughing and one of them said, and i quote, "Lets watch from the window." Seriously, WTF? And then as people are walking by in their slutty, cheap, and some really bad costumes, more then half of them took one glance showed no feelings and walked on by. Absolutely no emotions seemed to be triggered by a girl dying in the street. Yeah, some of them were probably drunk, but that's no excuse for not caring for the life of a human being. Where is the compassion? Have we been so desensitized to the death of another human?

People are so fucked up these days.:rant:

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
i wouldn't try to move her myself, but i'd definitely give a shit.

too many people here in socal get sued by the people they try to help. people are idiots.

littleone

the short crazy one
I've heard about that. Where people get sued for helping. But the ambulance did come fairly quickly and no one tried to move her, so yeah, thank god. She's alright by the way.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
In this case, moving her would probably cause further damage had she not been properly immobilized. I can also say that if I'd been there, I probably would have been arrested.

....for breaking my fist on someones face for laughing at her.

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
I'm not trying to defend those people, but sometimes something is so shocking to the senses that a nervous laugh is all that comes out. If they were making jokes about it, that would be totally out of line. But I have to agree with you about the general lack of empathy in people nowadays. I know I would have felt like you did, wanting to help in any way.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
nervous laughter?
are you out of you mind?
you see a person covered in blood and is under a fucking car that weighs like 1 ton, are you going to laugh?thats just messed up dude.not right....not right..
*shakes head*

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
Some people don't know how to react to something very stressful. And once again, I'm not condoning their actions. I've seen strange responses to very stressful situations, like a sudden death in the family.

Easty

Click click boom
littleone said:
I've heard about that. Where people get sued for helping. But the ambulance did come fairly quickly and no one tried to move her, so yeah, thank god. She's alright by the way.
what you're thinking of is the Good Samaritan Law. you can be placed under arrest for not helping someone if you really can (like those ignorance buttfuckers you were talking about). however, if you do try and help and actually do more harm than good, you can't be held accountable for the injuries sustained.

whoever told you that needs to check the books

but on to the subject at hand, that sucks dude. i probably would've done what you did, and called for help. also, in their defense, some could have been in an mental state of shock after seeing that.

this goes out to those who stood and watched:gun: :sword: :mfinger: :mfinger:

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
I'd have broken myself trying to knock the vehicle over. I've been haunted by the idea that such a thing might happen right in front of me. I've acted quickly in the past to help others in similar situations, but nothing so gruesome and alarming. I can only HOPE I'd have the balls and the sharpness of thought to act quickly and do what I could to help.

People laughing and pointing should be beaten very very slowly to death.

squeeze_me

Fuck me in the gotaz.
i would pull S.A.S tactics and run over the people that laughed so then i can laugh at them :mfinger:

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
squeeze_me said:
i would pull S.A.S tactics and run over the people that laughed so then i can laugh at them :mfinger:
I doubt that kind of action is justified. You look like a pro war person.
What your saying is if the germans(hitler) massacred people, then its allright for you to go and massacre Germans.
as irritating and annoying as it can be, violence in retaliation is not justified unless its in self defence. A better way would be to confont them and have them reprimanded.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
That's fucked up, heartless bastards!

Reminds me of the guy who laid on the sidewalk in NY and pretended to be dead for a day. Noone even stopped, except to check his pockets, or spit on him. What a world.

Jung

???
Premium
Eastside said:
what you're thinking of is the Good Samaritan Law. you can be placed under arrest for not helping someone if you really can (like those ignorance buttfuckers you were talking about).
Why does everyone always say that, when it's not only false, but completely ridiculous? That is from the last episode of Seinfeld, and has absolutely no base in reality. Good Samaritan laws are only there to protect those who help, NOT to force bystanders into helping. Here is a list of what each state's Good Samaritan laws cover.
whoever told you that needs to check the books
Apparently you should "check the books" as well. Not all states cover average citizens in their laws, in fact, most don't; most states only cover physicians and rescue workers with their Good Gamaritan laws. In the case of someone helping and making the situation worse, a lawsuit would be a very real possibility in most states.

Anyway, the best thing you can do in a situation like that is call 911 and get an ambulance. Moving someone who might have internal injuries is the worst possibly thing you can do.

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
I do not understand how someone could be so heartless towards a child. They are sinless. They have not lived long enough to become jaded and corrupt like those of adult ages. This wasn't some fucking criminal on death row. This was a child. I'm glad to here she was okay. But for those that laughed an ass whooping was in order.

dirtlover

The best and the worst
If I'd see 5 people already calling 911 in that situation I'd probably just go on doing whatever I was doing, because I can't help anymore. If it was just me there then of course I'd call 911 and see if I could help (probably I wouldn't be able to) and then help the ambulance to get to the place, but that'd be all. In you situation it wouldn't matter wether 911 got 1 call or a 100 calls.. the speed with which they'd come would probably be the same...

And one more thing: I probably wouldnät care, but I'd try to show that I do, otherwise pissed people like you would start rumors of me killing people etc..:mfinger:

Easty

Click click boom
junglizm said:
That is from the last episode of Seinfeld, and has absolutely no base in reality.
in this particular situation, a lawsuit could be brought about. but lets say that you walk down a road that drops off a cliff and you hear a cry for help. you look down and notice that theres a person just below you, who you could easily pull up. but you walk away. the good samaritan law applies to that. simply put, depends on the situation

junglizm said:
Anyway, the best thing you can do in a situation like that is call 911 and get an ambulance. Moving someone who might have internal injuries is the worst possibly thing you can do.
i agree:thumbsup:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
junglizm said:
This is correct. Unless you're a trained EMT/ER Surgeon the best thing to do is to call for help and do your best to make sure the victim is aware that help is on its way. Moving the car without necessary equipment and medical help could prove fatal to the vicitm as well as putting you in harms way. The only time you move a seriously injured person is when their life is in imediate danger. e.g. the car is on fire.

Good samaritan laws, depending on the states, can have two parts. Part 1 protects you from lawsuits for helping IF you're qualified to offer the assistance you offered. CPR if you've got the certificate for example. If you're not qualified you're fair game. The second part of a good samaritan law provides that you can be sued for not offering help you're qualified and able to give. This mostly applies to Emergency workers and hospital staff.

As for the person hanging on a cliff, no a good samaritan law would not cover that. That would be called negligent hommicide.