WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Lemmings (and some other Ramblings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
I absolutely despise people who use this word because of the irony usually associated with it. Recently I've run into a lot of people who think it's clever to use the word lemmings, but I'll get into that later. If you are unfamiliar with the term lemmings, they are small little rodents that during migration will occassionally run off cliffs and die, and other rodents traveling with them will continue to run off the cliff. They also can fall in water and drown, but what's interesting is that they will die simply because they are following the other lemmings.

Anyway, to get back on topic people think it's clever to use this effing word. Which is funny, it's usually thrown out there to make fun of another who had gone along with the crowd in a way that is not to their benefit, and there is ofcourse no better way to point this out than to use the overused term lemmings. I personally believe anyone who uses the words lemmings is a lemmings. It makes them look retarded and they probably saw it done before and are using it themselves.

This kind of irony is almost as bad as kids who use doubly sarcastic phrases without their own knowledge. Have you ever heard a kid say "I COULD care less". That phrase is funny, because it was originally, "I coudn't care less", the meaning is obvious, you couldn't care less about waht the person is talking about. However, that's too simple, so to complicate things you have to turn an already sarcastic remark into a different sarcastic remark, by saying I could care less. It's rediculous how complicated a phrase that is when the 12 year old is only trying to copy the often sarcastically said phrase "I coudn't care less", but the "n't" is lost since they don't actually grasp what it is they are trying to say.
I guarantee I'll get a reply with the following:I could care less about what you are talking about, lemmings!

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
that last bit reminded me of my french mate kitty when we lived in london.. in england people say "i can't be arsed" when they mean i can't be bothered, it's kind of hard to explain, it just is..
anyway, kitty thought this was "i can't be asked", with the british accent asked sounds like arsked.. so she went about saying "i can't be asked" whenever someone asked her to do something she didn't want to do..
i still say it to this day, it makes me smile..

but this is B&T, and i'm not really in the mood for a pissing match so i'll leave..

wow someone is in a nit picky mood today.
well i never heard the term lemmings before, the only annoying phase to me is the one mom always used, " if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?"
i keep promising i won't use that one on my kids.

WizardlyFriend said:
just generally a bad day, so i picked this to bitch about
its ok thats what the place is here for. when i have a shitty day, i mainly just attack everyone.:D

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Nymphchick said:
its ok thats what the place is here for. when i have a shitty day, i mainly just attack everyone.:D
24/7/365..

*wizardly friend goes crazy because he hates people who say 24/7..*

void said:
24/7/365..

*wizardly friend goes crazy because he hates people who say 24/7..*
:confused: WTF? i didn't you did. now you confused me, way to go! now its gonna take me a whole week to figure shit out again. pfft.

Status
Not open for further replies.