WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Licking envelopes

magnolia

Postaholic
A woman was working in a post office in California. One day she
licked an nvelope instead of using a sponge. That very day the lady cut
her tongue on the envelope. A week later, she noticed an abnormal
swelling of her tongue. She went to the doctor, but they found nothing
wrong. Her tongue was not sore or anything. A couple of days later,
her
tongue started to swell more, and it began to get so sore, that she
could not eat.
She went back to the hospital, and demanded something be done. The
doctor took an x-ray of her tongue and noticed a lump. He prepared her
for minor surgery.
When the doctor cut her tongue open, a live cockroach crawled out!
There were roach eggs on the seal of the envelope. The egg was able to
hatch inside of her tongue, because of her aliva. It was warm and
moist.
This is ostensibly a true story reported on CNN.​

That's some nasty ass shit man.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
My question is, how would you not know that a cockroach was living in your toungue until they put you down for surgery?

bnccoder

Postaholic
LiberatioN said:
My question is, how would you not know that a cockroach was living in your toungue until they put you down for surgery?
Good question. I would kill it though, I chew on my tongue.

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
How gullible are you?

Please people. Why do you believe every fucking chain e-mail that you receive in your inbox. I suppose you people still think Bill Gates is sharing his fortune and that there's a secret program written into the e-mail message that will tell him when you've forwarded it 1000 times and then you'll get a cheque for a billion million kazillion dollars. Please.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/tacobell.asp

La Cucaracha​

Claim: The cause of swelling in a girl's jaw is determined to be cockroach eggs she got from eating a Taco Bell taco or licking envelopes.

From the above page:

....A related "roach eggs" scare that began circulating in 2000 involved envelopes rather than tacos as the means of transmission:

If you lick your envelopes . . . You won't anymore!

This lady was working in a post office in California, one day she licked the envelopes and postage stamps instead of using a sponge.

That very day the lady cut her tongue on the envelope. A week later, she noticed an abnormal swelling of her tongue. She went to the doctor, and they found nothing wrong. Her tongue was not sore or anything. A couple of days later, her tongue started to swell more, and it began to get really sore, so sore, that she could not eat. She went back to the hospital, and demanded something be done. The doctor, took an x-ray of her tongue, and noticed a lump. He prepared her for minor surgery.

When the doctor cut her tongue open, a live roach crawled out. There were roach eggs on the seal of the envelope. The egg was able to hatch inside of her tongue, because of her saliva. It was warm and moist...

This is a true story . . . Pass it on.​

Everything said about cockroach eggs earlier still applies. This incarnation of the tale is every bit as much a hoax as the taco one.

In May 2000 someone thought to add further snippets of implied credibility to the e-mail quoted above, namely:

This is a true story reported on CNN.

Andy Hume wrote: Hey, I used to work in an envelope factory. You wouldn't believe the things that float around in those gum applicator trays. I haven't licked an envelope for years.

This is a true story . . . Pass it on​

First of all, the story was not reported on CNN. Pasting such authoritative-sounding taglines into the text of hoaxes circulating on the Internet in an effort to give them credibility is commonplace, and this is just another case of some nameless prankster doing just that.

Second, no one knows who "Andy Hume" is, so why give his supposed comments about working in an envelope factory any credence? It ain't all that tough to make up a comment and a name to go with it. If "Andy Hume" works for CNN, it's news to them. Searches of news databases for any reporter of that name turn up one who writes for The Ottawa Citizen, and wider searches turn up a British sports figure who also carries that name. There was also a Washington reporter, Sandy Hume, who killed himself in February 1998. But there's also no reason to assume any of those folks penned the comment circulated to bolster the credibility of the "envelope" e-mail.
:rolleyes:

Cheers, gullible ones,

WTFN

PS: If you forward this to everyone you know, President Bush will come to your house and present you with the keys to the White House! Seriously no lie! My friend is in the Secret Service!!!!

polaris_nine

Banned - What an Asshat!
If you think about it though, what are the odds that in one day, she cut her lip licking an envelope, and that on that day there were cockroach eggs on just the right envelope?

Sucks if your a secretary or something.

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
polaris_nine said:
If you think about it though, what are the odds that in one day, she cut her lip licking an envelope, and that on that day there were cockroach eggs on just the right envelope?

Sucks if your a secretary or something.

Do you even READ the posts in a thread before you reply, n00b?

tkme2thebedroom

standard people-hater
Oh, my lord, that is so unbelievably sick. I think I'll remember that every time I go to the post office. And we were worried about anthrax! Geesh...